Cyberpunk 2020 Play by Post Databook- Title Subject to Change

+
You are allowed as many actions per turn as you want, but you get debuffs that stack the further you go. I believe it's a -3 for each consecutive action.

Example: I get in a gun fight with 3 goons. They are each at a distance that requires a 15 to hit with my pistol. I roll a 20 for the first goon, I hit easily. I decide that the second goon needs a little something. I roll another 20, which becomes a 17 after the debuff. No big deal, it still hits. 3rd guy is unscathed. This cannot stand! I fire at goon 3 in the same turn. Once more I roll a 20. Unfortunately because this is my second extra action the debuff is no -6. The roll adjusts to 14, and I miss.

Okay, Hold on. Does no one read what I write?

First, Mal goes first, beating even the boosters. This happens before Doom's character starts to draw her weapon. This is why we -have- init checks, so we can see what happens when.

So, Mal, first thing that happened was Jade did her talky thing. You started this a good couple seconds before Doom's character, because your init was nearly twice Doom's.

Everyone got that?

Now, if Doom wants Wrench to then draw and start things off, that's fine, but that happens in order of initiative. There is no surprise check here, so AS SOON AS things start to go all action-y, I check init for everyone. Boosters, guards, automated systems if any, etc. Typically in CP2020, we declare and carry out our actions, then the next person goes, etc.

With multiple actions and really close init totals, this gets a little silly, so I apply a little reason. No matter what, though, Mal easily goes first. Not tooo far behind her, someone else will go. Then, well, then we'll see. But Wrench is low on the init pole here.

And since Mal already declared her action, it will not be "following along". Your ""Whe... where's the stage? Do you at least have a karaoke machine?" happens before anything else. I just want to see what Wrench's planned response is - in other words, if she goes for the draw anyway or she gives it a heartbeat to see what happens before doing so.

Lastly, I favour a "realistic" approach to combat, which I will explain as we go and allow retconning. One example of this is that just because it's your turn, if you spend your full movement charging towards someone who has a weapon out and pointed, yes, they will get to shoot at you out of their turn sequence. Unless maybe you're crazy fast...anyway. If you don't have a weapon drawn, different story.

You can of course move and shoot - in fact, you can do anything you can do in real life, plus extra. It'll cost you negative penalties, is all. -3 for each additional action beyond the first, cumulative. Further penalties if you're running.

Oh and semi-auto weapons can fire up to their maximum RoF per attack action, ( and you can do multiple actions in a turn), whereas full auto, that RoF is your maximum for the whole 3.2 seconds.

Well I'm not happy personally about how this is going down. We have at least 8 hostiles with all manner of cyberweapons and no telling how many guns. I feel like it's one of those deals where it's like I'm a new character and all of a sudden I'm not even on a job yet, but already placed in an unwinnable situation well beyond my characters level. Jade failed her persuasion and the next thing I know we got hostiles closing and one revving a chainsaw.

Okay, so are we just letting my dialogue go and see how they react? And then if they try to kill me, Wrench will shoot?

I guess it wasn't clear to me that they definitely wanted to harm us, even if we played along and offered to give them a free show.

You got one guy there more or less press ganging you into a performance with hands on you, cyberarm hands no less...another coming closer revving his chainrip like he's dying to use it...and a half dozen partisans readying their shit. I don't know how it could be construed any other way than us being forced into a fight, and I feel this fight is slanted well into their advantage. In D&D terms its like putting 1st level toons in front of a beholder and cackling with glee because you know they have no real chance to survive.

Yes, but this isn't DnD. It's Night City. Boosters abound. Surviving them is a skill - and no one is forcing you to fight. There are going to be lots of times you can't win fights, especially if your Team consists of only two people, one a Tech and one a Rocker.

Consider instead how unreasonable it would be if a hyper-hot, suddenly-famous rockstar walked past a very violent gang outside a club that catered to them...and nothing happened. They just glanced over, shrugged and went back to doing violent things to other NPCs.

Jade is -literally- a "10" in terms of looks. Naturally, no less.

But really, Cyberpunk isn't fair. At all. The random encounter table for Night City has frequent chances of PCs, starter or otherwise, coming across black ops teams. Half the time, they decide to frag you. That could be your very first encounter with NC, in fact.

You can't win every fight and going to combat without really, really good reason and without trying every other recourse will get most PCs killed.

Edit: AMT, can you make a P/FT check for me? Throw in +2.

Last edited:
This is a combat situation....again as you described it here comes chainsaw charlie...

This is a game and people are supposed to have fun. Players are actually supposed to be the stars of the scenario. Thus you mold encounters accordingly. It's the same with any RPG, even this one, as all modules have rules for SCALING the encounter to meet the players skill levels.

The point is it's not enjoyable to play in a world where the GM is gonna have a dick measuring contest every two seconds and place you in situations where you cannot even function. Like now I don't know what to do, because I literally have been given no options. I'm a spectator, unable to aid, more than outscaled to defend...and just what now...

Last edited:
There are no stars in Cyberpunk. Just fodder to clog the gutters with their disembodied intestines.

If you really feel outmatched, could always... Call the police :p

Players are actually supposed to be the stars of the scenario.

No, this is not going to be the case, much of the time. It's Cyberpunk 2020 and it's a big dangerous world.

Your options, as a player, were multiple.

1)Shoot/Fight.

2)Try to talk the boosters down. Bribes. Threats. Promises. Whatever.

3) Run! Just plain old run, see what happens.

4) Call for more backup. BFBG, NCPD, contacts or allies you might have.

5) Deal. Make a trade or exchange.

6) Something I haven't thought of.

All of those were on the table - boosters being threatening is equivalent to boosters breathing. Having a black market cyberweapon revved at you by a violent psychopath waiting to get into a club where he can try to dismember other violent psychopaths is a tense situation..but it's also Night City at Night.

This -is- a starter situation. You are right downtown, the opponents are not immediately hostile, for boosters, (they are actually appreciative, as much as they are going to get), you have back-up present, only one of you is of interest to the opponents and you are on the turf of someone who has a use for you.

It only gets more dangerous from here on out. There is an excellent chance that half or more of the people who keep playing the game will be dead by summer. Well, their characters, anyway...

Wallace is actually in a lot worse trouble, as he's now going up against a Solo team with some Inquisitors he's just met and minimal back up, on turf he doesn't know, right beside the Combat Zone.

While being filmed. Ought to be interesting.

Man, I gotta work on my reading comprehension. I thought we were inside the club, waiting for an elevator to go up to see the man in charge. Haha. I'll put Jade's "stage" question up to naivety.

So this device the boosters have that they want her to sing into, does it allow musical accompaniment (karaoke) or would this be an acapella performance?

Man, I gotta work on my reading comprehension. I thought we were inside the club, waiting for an elevator to go up to see the man in charge. Haha. I'll put Jade's "stage" question up to naivety.

So this device the boosters have that they want her to sing into, does it allow musical accompaniment (karaoke) or would this be an acapella performance?

Mmm, you've seen these before. They are kind of dumb-AI devices designed to replicate the user's audio needs. Your tech isn't great, but you think it has somethign to do with reverberation frequencies?

Anyway, they act as a so-so "micro" band and sound engineer all in one.

@kanonite:

There are several cameras.

------x------- Studio fenceline. Camera on the back gate "nodded" once when you got there, hasn't moved since.

::v::::::::::::::: Street where you guys are, in the car.

________I_ Roughly where the Inquisitors are.

M1 M2 Roughly where the media teams with the cameras are, scanning the studio property.
S Solo team location in the alley.

The medias can cover the whole street easily, with those cameras. No need to turn them. On the other hand, they generally ignore the traffic, so you might be able to maneuver around or below them, if you move your car.

Last edited:
@Suhiira, I'm going to presume Nogitsune is just watching Wallace have fun at this point?
Pretty much.

F.Y.I.
My PC is in the shop for another few days (SSD drive self destructed) so I have rather limited internet access till I get it back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom