Cyberpunk 2020 Play by Post Databook- Title Subject to Change

+
Mmm, Just waiting to see if Maligna was going to reply to Doom and see what Su opted to do with the car and avoiding the cameras.

You in a hurry to get shot at?

... and see what Su opted to do with the car and avoiding the cameras.
Hopefully placing the van to block the line-of-sight from the cameras (except of course any directly over the door) should have handled this.

As to any camera over the door ... with luck someone else can deal with it, if I'm the best tech available someone can mention it to Nogitsune and she'll do what she can. As to avoiding fire ... again the van is suppose to provide some concealment, and at least minimal cover, not like it's armored.

Wallace ... well he went out to provide a distraction, with luck he has some plan to get clear. If not I guess we'll deal with it once our gear is "safely" inside the sound stage. Maybe run the van into something creating a counter-distraction Wallace can use to get clear.

Hopefully placing the van to block the line-of-sight from the cameras (except of course any directly over the door) should have handled this.

As to any camera over the door ... with luck someone else can deal with it, if I'm the best tech available someone can mention it to Nogitsune and she'll do what she can. As to avoiding fire ... again the van is suppose to provide some concealment, and at least minimal cover, not like it's armored.

Wallace ... well he went out to provide a distraction, with luck he has some plan to get clear. If not I guess we'll deal with it once our gear is "safely" inside the sound stage. Maybe run the van into something creating a counter-distraction Wallace can use to get clear.

Um, well, there was a camera above the side entry gate to the compound. There were two media teams across the road from the movie studio, placed so they could see anyone coming and going. They are high enough and placed to the side - in such a way to catch stars trying to leave unnoticed. Depending how determined they are, they may well have remote cams placed as well. A shot of Slade McCallahan with a new squeeze is worth real money.

You won't be able to avoid the media cameras on the studio gate by parking, no.

You won't be able to avoid the media cameras on the studio gate by parking, no.
Well ... only so much you can do to distract folks unless you're willing to use explosives or chemical weapons :rambo:
I've done what I can, up to someone else to take the initiative now. That or we all sit here doing nothing ...

WAIT ONE

Seems some of us (at least me myself) think we are inside the studio compound near/next to the appropriate building, and others think we're still outside.
Which is it ? ? ?

If we are still outside the compound why even get out of the van? So they film a van entering the studio lot ... big deal. Just drive up to the front gate and show whatever credentials we were given and enter the studio lot.

If on the other hand our van is INSIDE the studio lot and the studio we're suppose to be using is visible to the media etc. OUTSIDE the fence (this is the situation I thought was the case) we should be able to drive to the other side of the studio or use the van to block their line-of-sight.

Last edited:
Yeah, I realise you kinda tangled up a post for Jade with you guys, so I just added what you thought to reality. Voila! You are clear of the media cameras now and at the loading bay door. Of course, you now need to get through the doors...or even help Wallace? Or not.

Yeah, I realise you kinda tangled up a post for Jade with you guys, so I just added what you thought to reality. Voila! You are clear of the media cameras now and at the loading bay door. Of course, you now need to get through the doors...or even help Wallace? Or not.
Wallace? We don' need no stinkin Wallace!

Wallace told us to enter and not wait for him. So we stick to the plan. :p

Well now that we're inside the compound and have the door to the building open I suppose we should see about rescuing Wallace ... he is after all our meal ticket ...

@andrewmeythaler, yeah, you're wearing Flak pants, right? Remember that EV penalty. Now, 19 damage on a DP round, so it's AP against armour. FP are worth 10 against AP, so 9 gets through, halved for AP effect. Let's round up, because that's crueller. 5 damage. Your BTM is -3/-4? Yep, 2 point gets through...and your FP are now worth 19 armour. As you know, as soon as that armour is penned by even the slightest bit, BTM can only reduce to a min of 1 damage. Anders Swenson, etc.

Your sheet does say BTM of -3/-4..but no cyber to account for that? With a Body of 6, it should be only -2. That'd be 3 damage getting through then.

You do know you have an independent air supply in your chest, right? Let's just presume that cuts in and the still-present gas won't force you to make another roll.

Also, niiiice crit. Roll 1D10 again. 1-3, add the dice as normal. Otherwise, we see what happens. Still not a big fan of crit rules.

@Suhiira, Nogitsune has Elect:3, so she's barely competent. She knows the principles, but her chances of getting a good connection aren't great and her chances of being detected, ( people do try this shit all the time and Internet is well aware of it) are pretty high.

The -3/-4 was from an earlier build, I guess I forgot to correct it. -2 is the correct amount thank you. Also I totally forgot that I even had the independent air supply, looks like Wallace thought further ahead than I did!

I used to love crit rules for how brutal they are. Now that I am a player who continually gets shit rolls, it isn't so nice. Are we still playing with the 8 damage limb severance rule?

I rolled a 7 but... I realized why my rolls have been so garbage lately. I have been rolling d6s!!!!

I rolled a 7 but... I realized why my rolls have been so garbage lately. I have been rolling d6s!!!!

Oh you.

We're doing limb crippled/ruined at, hmm. I like the IU rules, mostly, for this, but they are more complicated and allow for more damage in one hit. Basically, 10 to limb breaks/mangles, 10 to head Mortal 4 save, 10 to Torso Mortal 1 save. 12 in one hit is worse...and Derek likes to have that 12 after doubling, so 6 to the head before doubling. He also applies BTM before doubling, which I find weird. Anyway. ANYWAY.

We'll see when it comes up, I think. I already know we're not doing autokills at 8 damage to head or another critical location like femoral/heart/whatever. Mortal 0 plus doubled damage is enough.

@Suhiira, Nogitsune has Elect:3, so she's barely competent. She knows the principles, but her chances of getting a good connection aren't great and her chances of being detected, ( people do try this shit all the time and Internet is well aware of it) are pretty high.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but as I read the rules in CP2020.
1 = Basic skill
2 = High School level skill
3 = Trade School level skill
4 = BA/BS College/University level skill
5 = Skilled Professional
6 = Masters Degree level skill
7 = PhD level skill
8 = Cutting edge researcher
9 = The expert professionals turn to
10= Einstein/Stephen Hawkings

So the equivalent of a Trade School trained person that can make a reasonable living at whatever skill is barely competent?

I totally agree there's a high risk of detection, but that comes into play when she actually tries make a Net connection and uses those skills. Tapping into a wire is as detectable as plugging into an outlet. Yeah, you could certainly zap yourself (or your equipment) if you do it wrong of course.

Last edited:

Well, that's how you see the skill ranges. I generally use 1-5 as starter level skills. Someone like Hawking is a lot more than 1 skill and 1 level. All sorts of expert physicists have Physics 10. Hawking has that, plus Intelligence 12. Or better. Plus a slew of related disciplines.

So, yeah, at 3, you're absolutely in the "starter" skill range for any profession. That stays in that range till around 5. 6+ is expert, with the right stats and supplementatr skills as well as one more in the related Expert: Category.

0 to 3 costs, what, 70 IP? For the whole run? That's barely competent, yeah.

Basically, at 3 and 8 int that's 11 before roll, gear and circumstances. Hacking a Net feed is going to take a really good roll.

Don't assume that what you know of tech in our world applies to Cyberpunk, especially if the Ref tells you otherwise. If you screw up on the check while hacking into a Net feed, yes, you can be detected.

Well, that's how you see the skill ranges. I generally use 1-5 as starter level skills.
So basically:
6 = Competent
7 = Skilled
8 = Professional
9 = Skilled Professional
10 = Local Guru
?

Guess I SERIOUSLY need to rethink my skills.

Don't assume that what you know of tech in our world applies to Cyberpunk, especially if the Ref tells you otherwise. If you screw up on the check while hacking into a Net feed, yes, you can be detected.
I'd be very curious how.
Or is it one (were this a fantasy game vice si-fi game) "It's Magic" things?

Last edited:
Mostly it stems from the technology that was around during the creation of this game. What they had was internet run through phone line, so everything was tied to a location and a 'call'. Naturally they assumed this would be the technology forever.

Every-time you make a call that is illegitimate you must fool the phone company into thinking your call is legit. If you fail to do so they will be able to trace it back to you, charge you for the call, and check your net registration.

I.e. less magic; more an extreme Orwellian version of the technology that existed at the time.

So basically:
6 = Competent
7 = Skilled
8 = Professional
9 = Skilled Professional
10 = Local Guru
?

Mmm. Mooore like

1: Barely trained at the trade/profession/art, etc.
2: Basic principles.
3: Just competent at common tasks.
4: Practiced at common, just starting intermediate
5: Skilled at common tasks, practiced at most intermediate
6: Practiced at intermediate tasks, starting advanced
7: Skilled with intermediate tasks, practiced many advanced
8: Practiced at most advanced skills in the trade/profession/etc.

9-10 Really degrees of fine tuning in your preferred subfield.

All of these beyond 2 or so would also have related skills, of course. A plumber or computer hardware "tech" would quite likely have 3 or 4 main skills at similar levels.

"professional" and "expert" and "master" are pretty non-descriptive. A pro makes money from the trade, more or less steadily.

These are aimed at actual dice results and relative pay levels.

I mean, at Electronics 1 you could look up the bypass procedure on Google and try it. I wouldn't stop you. Of course, I also wouldn't tell you the difficulty other than Google says "Advanced!" or something.

15 is Average. That means that a person with a 5 rating and a 5 stat can do 50% of the time, without special gear. Roughly. So, something like hacking into the hardline would be above Average, yes, although probably not crazy above it. Doing it and bypassing countermeasures installed by one of the most powerful entities in the Cyberpunk world, (the hilariously named Internet Corporation, to whom "even Arasaka pays it's bills"...as if they don't pay their bills?!) now THAT is harder.

Of course, you could just ride the Colonial Studios feed in. Or use the Dataterm and have the IP check go somewhere else, which uses non-hardware skills. If it works...it's a common Netrunner trick and, well, you know Hellhounds.

Top Bottom