Cyberpunk Soundtrack

+
I have worked in over 30 bars and clubs, and 95% of all DJ's today use laptops and premixed material. It's quite depressing. Using this tech to create live music would be a refreshing change, especially with personal samples made by each DJ stored in custom made cubes.

Well that is why everyone with a laptop can be dj in a bar now + its easier and obviously prevents one from a disaster because a real time mixing requires a lot of skill and hardaware lets face it...

Well, the whole soundtrack is amazing! Another must for everyone!

Vegas/ Club Heaven really kick ass!

Never thought I'd find some of the most inspiring music in a video game forum. Incredible collection of music here, folks. Just goes to show how passionate the Cyberpunk fanbase is, and I am proud to count myself among you now. Since CDPR has announced this title, I've been all over it.

While I think many of these tracks have their place, certainly, within the universe of CP77, I personally feel that the general atmosphere of exploration should be along the lines of hybrid music styles. "Hybrid" being a nice balance of orchestral and synthetic sounds, of course. I think given 50 years of progress, the music style in the Cyberpunk world would have evolved greatly from its roots, and should reflect that. Of course, keep the same themes and styles throughout, but advance them to reflect the times.

I'm thinking more of a Mass Effect kind of atmosphere musically. Deus Ex: HR also had a fantastic hybrid soundtrack. Tron, of course. Unless the particular area within the game world demanded a different musical tone, I think utilizing music as a means to create atmosphere and ambiance instead of merely providing a soundtrack would be a better approach. It is often said that music is best utilized during films when the audience doesn't inherently notice it, but instead feel it and use it to add to the atmospheric soundscape they are experiencing visually, to further enhance the experience as a whole. So basically I think the best approach unless the specific moment within the game demands it (combat, certain part of town, in a night club, etc.) should reflect more of an atmospheric soundtrack, rather than simply thematically appropriate music.

Thoughts?

Also, if anyone cares to listen, I remixed a brilliant track from Mass Effect that many of you might recognize. I've been producing electronic music for about 6 years now, and am currently moving on to more hybrid styles. This was my first attempt at a hybrid style, so be gentle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGmqXXoYhE

RE: DJs

Even the laptop .mp3-Js I know use a setup like this, running to their lappy. Practically all of the DJs I know personally either cut their teeth on vinyl, and / or still use vinyl (among sources.)

@ ChrisWebb: not sure what clubs and bars you've been working, mate, but 95% of those DJs are using pre-recorded sets?? Shame on them. Buncha twats.

Well that is why everyone with a laptop can be dj in a bar now + its easier and obviously prevents one from a disaster because a real time mixing requires a lot of skill and hardaware lets face it...

Umm. It only requires 2 turntables/CDs and a mixer. Or a controller. And a soundsystem. So that's not too much.

@ ChrisWebb: not sure what clubs and bars you've been working, mate, but 95% of those DJs are using pre-recorded sets?? Shame on them. Buncha twats.

I never said it was all premixed sets, but pre mixed tracks, disks and playlists are used.

The sets do get changed, most of the time on the fly. My point was the lack of vinyl in clubs.

For the majority, I would say that they either cue tea is from a digital library, such as a laptop, or use CDs and just play vanilla or premixed tracks on the via auto cue.

(This cross section includes Ibiza and international club DJs, and they are just as bad as the up and coming ones.)

And shame on the club more than the DJ, they shouldn't get so cheap.

Well, yeah, digital era made some changes in DJing, that's for sure. Many of them for worse, but also some for the better. I remember what pain it was to carry a case with 60-70 vinyls inside it around the city to get to the club. Now I can put 2 USBs in my pocket and I'm good to go ;) Personally I also enjoy mixing MP3s on a controller(I have Traktor Kontrol S2) as it allows me to be a little more creative with all the chopping/looping ablities and effects. I recorded my best sets on the controller. On the other hand, doing a crab sctrach on it is...well...rather problematic.

Vinyls definitely give you a better "feel" when you play, physical connection with the music. If you're skilled enough you can definitely do a lot more amazing-looking and sounding things with your turntables. But personally I despise the notion of the "vinyl snobism" that gets spreaded lately, trying to claim that real DJing is only on vinyl, people without any skill putting labels like "vinyl only" on their mixtapes like that covered the fact they have no skill...or the crowd in a club going wild because someone plays only from vinyl, while you can clearly hear that they guy has no idea about mixing whatsoever...

So I think both extremes are bad ;) For me good music and good mixing skills will always come on top, no matter what medium or hardware someone uses.

I would love to see real 'Street Music' performed with instruments made from junk. This should be the sort of music you find on the darkest streets in the poorest areas. These people can barely feed themselves, so buying the latest guitar and synth drums are not going to be high priorities, but Junk is everywhere...

Combine these improvised instruments with some beat-boxing and I think you would have a truly unique sound of the street.

Opinions?

I like the idea, but it would be a fashion trend I think, not

These people can barely feed themselves, so buying the latest guitar and synth drums are not going to be high priorities, but Junk is everywhere...

I live in a very poor country, but street musicians still have proper instruments. It doesn't take any more effort to make a guitar that looks like a guitar than a guitar made from a water bottle. The latter is an affectation, not a necessity.

I like the idea, but it would be a fashion trend I think, not

I live in a very poor country, but street musicians still have proper instruments. It doesn't take any more effort to make a guitar that looks like a guitar than a guitar made from a water bottle. The latter is an affectation, not a necessity.

Fair enough, but 'poor', as described in the 2020 source books, encompasses the 65% of the US population that is living below the povertyline, most of whom are homeless and live in misery. Also bear in mind that there would be a lack of materials to create most traditional instruments, as people would be relying on synthetics for just about everything.

I am sure that making a guitar out of wood is one thing, but I am equally sure that making it out of a lump of plastic is another thing entirely.

Opinions?

Well, You want my opinion man? That man is some real street talents all other ppl in ur videos can tak lessons and I know a thing or two about drums! That's just another proof that talents are out there on the streets like diamonds among the concrete...

Indeed. I linked the videos as a display of instruments and sounds though, rather than talent. I particularly like the sounds from the pipes.

Top Bottom