Did over ambition harm Cyberpunk 2077?

+
Game got remade too many times and didn't stick to a vision, that's why we got this mess. While the Witcher 3 even with some issues wasn't even close of being a mess like this. It had a vision and got it fulfilled, also can't help after TW3 had a huge brain leak, in a way where several employee left the company so probably they lost the talent that had know how to do a game on this scale.

Gamer expectations harmed the game. Overhyping from a gamers perspective harmed the game. Personally I never have expectations nor follow the hype for any game, I form my own when playing the game. Personally I am enjoying Cyberpunk, have only seem one bug so far and Inputmapper caused flatlining (DS4), using native support (DS4) , haven't flatlined since.

I feel like they tried to make three or four different games and ended up with something that kind of resembles a game. Feels like someone took a couple jigsaw puzzles and mixed them together, put half of the mixed pieces in a box and threw out the other half. Sure, putting together the puzzle is fun at times but some pieces don't seem to fit and others seem to be entirely missing. It has some masterful aspects to it but overall it's a train wreck and I take zero pleasure in saying that.

I can't cut a break for CDPR on the grounds of 'never having made this type of game before'. They had 8 years. Saints Row 1 through 4 was developed over about 9 years total... 4 games, at least two of which can be considered massive polished AAA titles in the free-roaming GTA-style genre. That's plenty of time to develop all the talent and systems they need to make a great game.... which they did. Cyberpunk 2077 is a great game if you're playing on a PC with the hardware to handle it.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a victim of mismanagement. The obvious one is it never should have released on last-gen consoles in the state that it did...which is a clearly unplayable state. Their marketing and interviews promised, teased, and insinuated many features the game just doesn't deliver on. That created a lot of hype for a game, setting players up for disappointment. Management should have either reigned in the marketing or made the team was setup to deliver on it. Instead they just let the hype train run out of control, ensuring massive preorders and day 1 sales, but also a major, and well deserved, backlash. That letdown would have probably been manageable with some promises to catch up on features if they hadn't completely botched the launch on last-gen consoles, which has essentially destroyed the trust the community had in them.

The trust issue with what happened on last-gen consoles is a big problem. There is no way any sort of QA team would have called that playable. They hid the issue from reviewers, probably banking on being able to fix the problems before launch, but that didn't happen. They could have delayed the release on last-gen consoles (which may have required delaying it for all consoles) or warned people about the issues, but they didn't. It's a series of choices that just screams of corp greed. It's going to take a lot to dig out of that hole, and the trust issue they've created threatens the income stream they need to even do that digging. DLC plans have to be delayed. They need to keep a big team on the project to get in fixes and add missing features. That team has to be payed. They've already lost sales they might have made on Sony's side over the holidays. Stock value is down by a billion dollars. Refunds are starting to hit hard. I hope they have enough cash laying around to keep their dev team paid or we'll probably be looking at a CDPR buyout in the future.

It's all so sad, because most everyone agrees we have the bones of a great game here. If only it had a brain!

You are comparing absolutely different games in absolutely everything and putting, who knows why and where, if not a mere opinion (although respectable) that 8 years would be one or some reasonable time to make a game (if yes? tell me why - waiting here...). Not even CD has invested exclusively in CP in the last 8 years, at most, from 2016 to here, when it was freer from TW3 and its expansions. AAA + games, in general, nowadays, take about 12 years to complete. BDO, it took 10 years, Star Citizen (multi) and Squadron 42 (single) are over 8 years old (and they have a giant invested capital).

Just to remember, the new consoles are also not 100% finished ... plus, at most ... they have reached half of that (now its me especulating). Its everything recent...

Everyting about CP2077 feels like cut out, dumbed down, implemented in haste in sloppy way with lowest effort possible.
download (18).jpg

No it's not. It's the same castrated sloppy techdemo that makes you feel like sucker, and literally lies to you, promising something and immediately filing to deliver, with nearly every step you make. Just looks better, and runs better.

That's what many pc players are saying now. It may run with ray tracing and 4k, resembling a movie but the core is the same. Flashy graphics will charm you for a couple of days, maybe a week, but then you realize you're just playing a visually stunning incomplete Gta-Borderlands clone.

The Game was developed for current gen market in mind not next gen, it wasnt ready for release they rushed it out for the Xmas slot and it blew up in thier face, wasnt even ready for PC imo. over ambitious? no, other games like it already exist on those platforms this just wasnt ready for release.

Overambition did not harm Cyberpunk, marketing and a rushed-out release did. This is not a GTA clone (nor would I want it to be one, personally) so I was not expecting any of those often-requested GTA features to be present/fleshed out, but the game was marketed as a next-gen, futuristic GTA to the mass market, which comes with certain expectations, and this is the result.

That said, the game falls short in some other, RPG-specific aspects, but I don't think the backlash would have been as strong if the game's marketing was handled differently and it performed better on base consoles. Then again, they probably wouldn't have sold 15 million or so copies in the first week, so hey, maybe marketing did no harm after all.

Last edited:
That's what many pc players are saying now. It may run with ray tracing and 4k, resembling a movie but the core is the same. Flashy graphics will charm you for a couple of days, maybe a week, but then you realize you're just playing a visually stunning incomplete Gta-Borderlands clone.
this post makes me want to fire up new vegas again, sure it's ugly as sin compared to today's standards, but boy did it have an awesome story

That's exactly it, my good sir.

On the contrary given the unrealistic ambition to create something new and never done before, I think CD project proved itself.

From zero experience in all those areas you mentioned and deliver something of this scale pretty much functional on their first try (it is of course not perfect and half baked in parts), has shown that they have some great talent indeed.

Night City even in this state it's amazing. I have no words to describe how I feel every time I am "in" to explore it, maybe euphoric dunno.

Shame they had to rush it but I doubt it would come any different from what we have now, probably less bugs that's all. As you say they lack the background for this sort of game.

Probably their ambitions to make it work on ps4 en xbox took while trying to make it most beautiful open world, wich is a fail, them down . they probably had to work on this the whole year, letting down other aspects of the game wich still needed lot of work. only the pc version should have been out by now. but its not what happened, sad for developpers who worked hard, deserved for cdpr decisions makers. Tw3 was also a very ambitious game.

On the contrary given the unrealistic ambition to create something new and never done before, I think CD project proved itself.

From zero experience in all those areas you mentioned and deliver something of this scale pretty much functional on their first try (it is of course not perfect and half baked in parts), has shown that they have some great talent indeed.

Night City even in this state it's amazing. I have no words to describe how I feel every time I am "in" to explore it, maybe euphoric dunno.

Shame they had to rush it but I doubt it would come any different from what we have now, probably less bugs that's all. As you say they lack the background for this sort of game.
I wish I could like this post more than once, you hit the nail on the head here.

I think a big issue is that they released it on what is effectively 6 consoles: PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Series X | S. Then there is the issue that this is only their second open world game if we count the Witcher as open world despite it being more large open zones. Then you throw in the pandemic and not being able to have a team test in house so someone could oversee the testing to make sure it happens, I don't know if they do a lot of in house testing or if it is normally remote testing so this could be less of an issue. I am sure there is some level of laziness is going on since the attribute descriptions read like three or four people wrote them and they don't even have the same formatting on how they list the benefits, I also see this in the field I work in since we have been work from home nearly since this thing started to get big in the greater part of the world.

Top Bottom