Discussion on faction identity (my take)

+
So I've been discussing faction identity on chat and some here in the forums and wanted to make a thread dedicated to just discussing this topic. My current opinion here, which is definitely subject to change, is that faction identiy is not better than in old gwent and is arguably worse.

Let's look at Northern Realms. Someone made the case to me recently that NR gets their faction identity from orders/zeal. My issue with that is orders and zeal are in a lot of cards in other factions. NR might have more of it and can do more with it through the leaders but I don't see much identity there. What I was looking for in homecoming was multiple strong archetypes in each faction that are relegated for the most part in that faction.

Homecoming still kept some of the identity it had before. NG still has reveal (although I really don't like it), and monsters still has deathwish. I'm glad those survived but they also stripped out many other archetypes. Hopefully those come back to the game in time and this can get worked out but right now I'm not seeing how this goal was met in homecoming.

I'll stop there for now and just respond to points and arguments others make. I'm very willing to give homecoming credit where it's due. I am playing the game and finding enjoyment in it for the moment.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
My current opinion here, which is definitely subject to change, is that faction identiy is not better than in old gwent and is arguably worse.

You make it sound as if the faction identity in Gwent needed any fixing to begin with. Anyhow, Gwent did have a better faction identity and it felt more unique. However, at the same time, it was too restricted (and thus obvious), which resulted in a lot of decks being the same. In Homecoming, at least, there are more variations of the same deck. Ironically, that's not because of better faction identity, but because of less faction identity. Though, I suspect that with the coming expansions, the increased card pool will fix this (identity crisis).

TL;DR: Homecoming has less faction identity but more variation in decks.

You make it sound as if the faction identity in Gwent needed any fixing to begin with.

If I remember correctly this was something brought up by the community to some extent. For instance SK was always the resurrection faction and then SC got a resurrection card and this made people unhappy because it was hurting SK's faction identity. I don't think I had a big issue with faction identity. I just wanted stuff like the above to be fixed.

Anyhow, Gwent did have a better faction identity and it felt more unique. However, at the same time, it was too restricted (and thus obvious), which resulted in a lot of decks being the same. In Homecoming, at least, there are more variations of the same deck. Ironically, that's not because of better faction identity, but because of less faction identity. Though, I suspect that with the coming expansions, the increased card pool will fix this (identity crisis).

I'm not sure how I feel about the variation yet as I have only been playing a few says.

rrc

Forum veteran
$100 bet or even €100 bet that this thread will soon become yet another "Uninstalled Sadly..." Thread.

$100 bet or even €100 bet that this thread will soon become yet another "Uninstalled Sadly..." Thread.

Naw. I generally never make those kinds of threads. Multiple times since this game came out I have taken breaks and came back to it so unless something really weird happened I'm not going to assume that I will just stop playing and be done forever.

I've been playing since day 1 and I'm still here. Even after all the junk that has really ticked me off in regards to console player treatment.

(...)

My opinion:
Gwent since beginning charmed me by stability of archetypes. You know, no RNG in Gwent. That was the dream *.*
It would be enought to add some others cards to archetypes or make another archetypes to exclude boring from game.

Some archetypes was basing on bronzes: QueensGuard, Consume, CrinfridReavers etc.
3 bronzes = more faction identity, stability.
2 bronzes = more variation, easier to balance (in some designs), but more RNG while drawing cards.

RNG is hated, but necessary. It shoud work like:
"hmm, on starting hand i want to have cards X and Y. Let's mulligan and oh:
A: f*king RNG... i have olny X.
B: f*k yeach, i have both."
Get it?

_Kili_

Forum regular
Yeah, sure, that's why everyone played Eithne Wolfsbane/Crach Wolfsbane, which are basically the same deck with different cardbacks or Woodland Big Boys

bTrait

Forum regular
CDPR should just keep their words.
  • Re-focusing on core gamers
We want GWENT to remain a deep game, where each faction has its identity and offers distinctive gameplay archetypes. We want rows to really matter in terms of gameplay, and gameplay itself needs to be engaging and rewarding.
Source

I'm waiting...

Top Bottom