Do you (still) care for cosmetics?

+

How much do you care for cosmetics?

• [5] Collector's OCD, gotta catch em all!

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • [4] I (only) go for the ones I like, even if I have to buy them

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • [3] I (only) go for the ones I like and are free

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • [2] I already have enough and no longer care for the new(er) ones

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • [1] I care little for cosmetics to begin with

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • [0] Other, please, explain...

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters
I DID care for cosmetics. I had been collecting the Witcher tag cards after playing throne breaker, so I had the wrong impression that playing a Witcher themed deck would be viable from my experiences on console.

So when I got transferred from console, I bought Journey premium, as I thought it would be kick ass to have Geralt as a leader for my Witcher deck.

The only problem was trying to play a Witcher deck is in no way viable. Though I did see McBearded had some limited success with a Viper deck.

Anyway, the closest I've got to a competitive deck in a meta filled with poison was through using Decoy to get Vessemir into play twice. But even then it was heavily draw dependent.

In the end it just annoying how much money, dust and scraps I put into making the Witcher cards to have matchmaking consistently match any Witcher deck I play against poison ball varients variants back to back to back.

It absolutely hammered my MMR this season, that when I thought I might like to try for Pro this season I had to give up on playing the deck even as a meme on the ladder.

So... If you are going to have Geralt as a purchaseable leader, you need to make Witchers at least viable.

But I won't hold my breathe for a "Kaer Morhen Desciple" low provision neutral Witcher card in Master Mirror...

I would suggest a 5 provision card, 4 body, damage three on deploy, if target is not destroyed, destroy self. Bonded: do not destroy self.

This would give the witchers a much needed low provision unit, whilst maintaining a connection to the idea of young witchers going through trials, and if they mess up they die. And the importance of team work.

It could also work as a 4 provision card, (something like a reverse Dwarven Skirmisher). Body 3, damage 3, if enemy unit survived destroy self. Bonded: don't destroy self

Last edited:
Not only do I not care about cosmetics, I find some downright annoying. Not only do animated cards consume memory and slow games, they clutter the deck builder. Changes in the game board are disorienting, and various card backs prevent this scattered brain of mine from immediately recognizing my opponent’s faction if I forget or glanced away from the initial matchup. I guess coins, leaders and titles are kind of nice; just not worth resources.

On the other hand, if cosmetics help fund the game and the developers who maintain it, I will certainly tolerate a little inconvenience.

I'll never change my 'Pioneer' title but I'm willing to pay for custom boards - I generally use the Tavern board because I like the idea of playing cards in a tavern. I bought the Gascon leader skin because it was a neutral and I could use it any time I wanted (and I play a lot of non-meta decks that I like the idea of a Gascon leader leading a rag-tag army into battle) but I'm not really interested in buying faction specific leader skins (unless a Leader gets introduced that I will want to play all the time). I stick to Beta borders and avatars because only a relative few players have them but I do rotate them depending on what type of deck I'm playing (if you see Lippy then you know I'm playing Lippy) or because I feel the Odrin avatar and the Mahakam Ale border needs some love. Card backs - I'll just pick something appropriate to the faction I'm playing; I have bought them in the past but it'll take a really good one for me to do it in the future as it just feels like wasted money to me.

I dont mind paying $ 5 , $ 10 for some cosmetics that I like.
But 1 dollar in my country = $ 5 . So I just dont buy.

Other.

I usually only go after the cosmetics that I like. Now that there are three trees to unlock to get cosmetics each season, I usually have to choose the path I like the most and go for one.

With journey, I feel like CDPR devalued the cosmetic in general. What's the point of getting something that everyone can get free or by paying for it. Of course I'll play and unlock it for free, but the motivation to use/display it proudly had gone away completely. The cosmetics that appeal to me (in all games that offer cosmetics) are the challenging, rare, hard to get items that only a few percent of the playerbase migth have. When I see someone from beta that has something that is unique it makes me motivated to try and get it if it's possible.

Game boards are more appealing to me at the moment, but I am mostly a F2P player so unless it's mind blowingly good, I won't get it and I wish they offered more free boards.

CDPR has the contracts feature that offer such a great way to reward cosmetic for playing the game. Many contracts have different levels and many of those levels offer no significant rewards besides 1 or 2 reward points, which does not fit the amount of work that goes into completing the contract. If I do something like boost a unit 5000 times or cause 5000 damage to units or play 10,000 cards or something like that, I want more than 2 reward points. The last stage should offer a board (if it's a hard enough contract) or avatars, card backs, etc.

I care little for any cosmetics relating to my avatar or my title. I literally have the base “no avatar” avatar with no border and I change the title to any of the free titles I’ve obtained through playing based on how I feel.
I bought the tavern board because I had left over dust that I only use for assimilate decks to see which cards I have made from “create” a card (ie only what didn’t start in my deck is animated).
Card backs I might work towards in the reward system or something but I don’t go out of my way to buy them. I’ll admit the only card back I am wanting but unfortunately missed is the thronebreaker Lion back.
In a coin I’m just looking for one which makes it very easy and clear to see red or blue coin at the slightest glance, I have that in the “alchemy” coin from the recent Geralt Journey.
I’d rather spend my money on getting more cards after an expansion releases if I don’t have enough ore and scraps and even then I have a limit of how much I’d spend in the opening weeks

Top Bottom