Doom 2016

+
@Fallout_Wanderer : I doubt something like GTX 980 was used at full potential by many games. Even TW3 doesn't do it. Wait for more games using Vulkan to come out, and then test them on your current hardware.

Sounds like a reasonable plan, and I don't have the extra funds to buy a new GPU for awhile as it stands. I need to upgrade my CPU before anything else not that it isn't doing me well. I feel hyperthreading and multicore support will eventually make its way into gaming widespread as the new standard in the near future, and those i7 rec. req's will one day soon actually be true.

The devs were so clearly inspired by Hard Reset. It's great so far. The best finishers I've experienced in a game.

Lol.

Last edited:
Man this is a blast. How am I the only one here enjoying this game...where have my FPS friends gone?

cyseal

Melee finishers are awesomely designed and gunplay is fun. They've really done great with the engine.
Story suffers a lot, though.

How many hours long is this game anyway? I'm not too big on FPS's but I did like the new Shadow Warrior.

I think I'll give it a try some time. Currently I'm not that into FPS that I would spend 50+€ on a game like this.
But I know the original Doom and I also haven't played an FPS in a while. I'm curious if the experience somehow changed.

How many hours long is this game anyway? I'm not too big on FPS's but I did like the new Shadow Warrior.

Campaign seems to be lasting around 10-15 hours for most people. Lots of secrets and big areas. I'm still not sure what to think of the upgrade system, SW had a performance/point based approach that I liked better. Overall I recommend it. Very much embraces the old school, run and gun style of play.

Noah Gervais posted a good vid on the new Doom and how it compares with its predecessors (fair warning, it's loaded with spoilers):

Sounds pretty fun, but these games aren't really my cup of tea. I usually only play FPS games where the killing is a means to an end, a way to get more story, not the other way around. Still, I'm sure fans of the genre will like it.

I have it on my list, but I'll probably pick it up at a later date. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

@Garrison72 You've played Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset, right? How would you say it compares to those?

Side note: Thread title changed to something more... succinct.

Last edited:
I have it on my list, but I'll probably pick it up at a later date. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

@Garrison72 You've played Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset, right? How would you say it compares to those?

Side note: Thread title changed to something more... succinct.

It's very similar. White knuckle killing sprees separated by lulls in the action to explore for secrets and such. Enemies are less bullet spongy, which is nice. Maps are also bigger. As I said above, I prefer the leveling and upgrade trees in HR and SW but Doom is every bit as fun. What's most impressive is id really embraced the dna of a no nonsense, action shooter.

Enemies are less bullet spongy, which is nice. Maps are also bigger.

Ooooh, you're saying all the right things there.

Not too concerned about the progression system, personally don't care about it in shooters.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer? How is it?

I normally find shooters boring but if this is really like Shadow Warrior I might give it a try some time, when it's cheaper.

Does it have any Death Metal rabbits though?

It has death metal, no rabbits. The music isn't so great, could have done with more variety. I have about 30 minutes of dying in MP, so I suck at it. Lot's of people aren't fond of it, but it didn't seem terrible to me.

Last edited:
Finally got the game and did a quick test. Seems to be tons of fun. And it looks brilliant and runs like a dream. Looking forward to playing through it once I'm done with B&W (might take a while..)

Oh yeah, and it supports 21:9 out of the box!

Also what's with the different AA options? Tried out SMAA, TAA and the new TSSAA (iiirc) and they all seemed to perform exactly the same. Figured I could as well use the latter since it seemed to be the best in terms of picture quality.

Top Bottom