DRAFT - First impressions

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
My main issue with draft is that there is clearly a discernable meta that is already developing, leading to a similarity in deck creation.

1) There is never a compelling reason not to take the thinning packages...except for the witcher trio of course.
In general, everyone who is competitive will have drafted such a package, and if they were lucky in draft 2 of them. In my 5 drafts so far, I have been offered just a single tutor, Fauve, as part of a NAture package, but perhaps that is due to selecting the thinning packages.

2) There is no reason to not go for full on greed, as there is a considerable lack of removal
So it seems that Syndicate Passiflora is everywhere in draft, whereas in arena Syndicate was nearly non existent. I have seen a few tall removal cards, but it seems that I never see more than two massive control cards. Despite all the SY I have played against, no Moreelse, Tinboy, or Philippa.

3) Too many decks are running 60 - 70% of the cards from their leader ability's faction. Leading to it feeling more of a seasonal mode vibe than a true sucessor to arena.

From what i gathered, by only playing 1 draft run and seeing 3 different streamers on draft, the options you will be getting are mostly decided by your first 2 picks: the leader ability and a "central gold card".

If you are lucky to have these 2 correlated, then its probably easy to make a full archetype deck with plenty of synergy, otherwise the deck can be too scattered.

Also, those 'central golds' can give some terrible choices, but also some good choices but that end up having associated terrible packages.
On the other hand, there are packages that include 3 really powerful cards, like getting 3 Geralts, which one alone can actually get more value than some of these central golds... :shrug:

Here's my feedback so far. I went 7-0 with the very first deck I drafted and have done many more drafts since. I'm a huge fan of limited modes and have been for decades, playing them at least as much as constructed in every ccg I've played so far (aside from Gwent, because Arena was not good).

1) The algorithm should only allow for taking one thinning package per draft. If you RNG into two of the same thinning the value of such in a deck is preposterous and there's no way to balance around that, but even getting two separate thins is ridiculously strong.

2) This game has such a good mechanism for balance already built in, with every single card meaningfully rated by provision cost. Use this. Your game is balanced around this specifically. Set a provision cap on the final drafted deck and give players more packages to work with at the start. Allow for some minor deckbuilding using the drafted cards. Make some extra copies of basic 4 and 5 cost cards available so players can hone in on meeting the provision cap/deck limit.

3) Make it so your draft deck evolves as you play it. After each win you get to draft another package, and can then modify your deck using the new cards. If you can matchmake so players with the same wins play each other, it'd be incredibly cool if your provision cap went up a bit with each win, so you could truly "upgrade" your deck, and overall deck power went up and up as the draft played on, making those final matches titanic clashes of ridiculous decks that you wouldn't find in Constructed play.

TL;DR - Limit thinning packages to one per draft. Use a provision cap for balance, and include some basic deckbuilding with drafted cards. Evolve decks by providing additional packages/provisions to work with when you win.

Here's my feedback so far. I went 7-0 with the very first deck I drafted and have done many more drafts since. I'm a huge fan of limited modes and have been for decades, playing them at least as much as constructed in every ccg I've played so far (aside from Gwent, because Arena was not good).

1) The algorithm should only allow for taking one thinning package per draft. If you RNG into two of the same thinning the value of such in a deck is preposterous and there's no way to balance around that, but even getting two separate thins is ridiculously strong.

2) This game has such a good mechanism for balance already built in, with every single card meaningfully rated by provision cost. Use this. Your game is balanced around this specifically. Set a provision cap on the final drafted deck and give players more packages to work with at the start. Allow for some minor deckbuilding using the drafted cards. Make some extra copies of basic 4 and 5 cost cards available so players can hone in on meeting the provision cap/deck limit.

3) Make it so your draft deck evolves as you play it. After each win you get to draft another package, and can then modify your deck using the new cards. If you can matchmake so players with the same wins play each other, it'd be incredibly cool if your provision cap went up a bit with each win, so you could truly "upgrade" your deck, and overall deck power went up and up as the draft played on, making those final matches titanic clashes of ridiculous decks that you wouldn't find in Constructed play.

TL;DR - Limit thinning packages to one per draft. Use a provision cap for balance, and include some basic deckbuilding with drafted cards. Evolve decks by providing additional packages/provisions to work with when you win.

Really really dig the 1) and 3) :ok:

DRK3

Forum veteran
So yeah, played 2 more draft runs, and specially after the 3rd, i really have to agree with @dnadler 's 1st point:

The thinning packages are ridiculous. Yes, with a lot of luck you can build an OP draft deck with other cards, but going for the thinning packages it seems its the most consistent way of making your deck broken (ofc the mulligans are a nightmare then, but its a small price to pay)

I would suggest to change this with a hotfix, if not, then on next month's update/expansion - limit thinning packages so you cant get 2 of the same, and maybe only get 1 max.

And here's the proof:
(built a deck with 6 impera brigade and 3 hunting pack, and had Tactical Decision, which is just perfect for this broken deck as morvran is a soldier and that way you can mulligan all the imperas on hand back to deck)

Draft - Impera Army Ridiculousness.jpg

And no, it was not just i that was lucky, look what i faced on the same run:

Draft - taste of my own poison.jpg

Draft - Imperas vs Ransackers (R1).jpg

So yeah, maybe this should be the 1st thing fixed in Draft Mode, no?

Ofc, Arena, the "the one who has more golds by the power of RNG wins, so fun".
Lots of golds was not a guarantee to win in Arena. I recently lost a run while having 21 golds, and on the next run I reached the end with only 13 golds. However, most of the time the amount of golds helped, so the only thing CDPR had to do was to limit the amount of drawn golds to 15 (and then you would draw only bronzes), and limit the bronzes to 11 (and then you would draw only golds). Problem solved. Everybody would have very similar provision decks with majority of golds to make it fun. Then it would be about making and executing combinations. I'd love to see the Arena like this.

With Draft I posted a rather long analysis above and by many accounts Draft seems like a worse alternative than Arena.

Draft has potential to work better than Arena, but it's definitely a work in progress. There's no way they could charge ore or provide rewards for this in the state that it's in right now, and they knew that which is why it's labeled Early Access and costs nothing. We're acting as testers for them and providing feedback, not playing it as a proper competitive mode.

That's obviously not for everybody though. I think it was a mistake to remove Arena entirely given that Draft is still in an early form. I didn't care for Arena, but for anybody who did the current state of Draft is not a suitable replacement because the lack of cost/reward means the key strategy for winning is to reroll for free until RNG gives you an absolutely busted deck. It goes entirely against the point of Limited play, which is to make the most out of subpar cards by finding interesting or unusual synergies, and compete against others doing the exact same.

I expect they're getting a lot of data about what people are picking, especially since it's more fun to click through packages and build decks than to actually play them right now.

It does seems people have figured out that SY and thinning is the way to go.

I actually rejected SY for a while but they keep giving the option of coins package even when I went with a totally different leader and first starting card.

Today I say, WTH, I will just play SY and I keep winning hahaha

Does anyone know if there is any link about the info of ALL the 79 packages ?

I actually rejected SY for a while but they keep giving the option of coins package even when I went with a totally different leader and first starting card.
That's a bug in the algorithm (Slama said so), and will no doubt be fixed before draft leaves early access.

Lots of golds was not a guarantee to win in Arena. I recently lost a run while having 21 golds, and on the next run I reached the end with only 13 golds. However, most of the time the amount of golds helped, so the only thing CDPR had to do was to limit the amount of drawn golds to 15 (and then you would draw only bronzes), and limit the bronzes to 11 (and then you would draw only golds). Problem solved. Everybody would have very similar provision decks with majority of golds to make it fun. Then it would be about making and executing combinations. I'd love to see the Arena like this.

With Draft I posted a rather long analysis above and by many accounts Draft seems like a worse alternative than Arena.

Hope I can reply this time without stirring up a fight ahah, anyways.
Reading about losing a run in Arena with 21 golds it's a first for me, guess that's luck of the draw for you. What I didn't like about Arena was that it was really, really, an RNG mess. Of course one didn't play Arena for consistency, but an entire mode when you basically pay an entry fee and start to pray to the RNG god? Very rarely I did get a funny deck in Arena, most of the time it was just a bunch of assorted cards without any type of sinergy and, for me, this isn't fun at all.
Yeah, Draft has its problems and it's far from perfect now, but asking for absolute balance in Draft is like asking for Balance in Arena: nonsense. As I've said in another post, if I wanted to try a strange deck there's always casual for me, I don't need to play Arena to just stop playing meta decks.
What I'm really looking forward to it's that Draft won't have any sort of Meta without being a total RNG fest at the same time. I really like the idea of starting with a smaller deck that becomes bigger and bigger with every win, that's a recipe for strange and interesting matches.

The more I play draft the more I love it, and I play the decks I draft instead of wasting time trying to get crazy combos.
This opponent must have been frustrated by all the movement I did (three Tax Collectors and Imke, plus Arena Ghoul but that one made no difference).
2020-11-05_1612_1.jpg

I lost by one point in the end but it was an awesome match.

So far I seem huge issue with being able to reroll infinitely. Just reroll till you get hoard deck and 2 round all matches opponen doesnt have yrden. 3 round The ones whre they do

I played the draft for several days now and it seems there is no choice of Oneiromancy or AA but there are other Echo cards like Coup.

I also did not see any artifacts like Sihil

I am not sure why they actually got rid of Arena. It's sufficiently different from draft mode and surely more options for playing is better than limiting them...

All in all a strange decision I feel.
A strange decision that might cost them losing a lot of players. A played mainly arena, but this draft mode is so disappointing and even with some tweaks it will be worse than arena by far.
Post automatically merged:

Draft has potential to work better than Arena, but it's definitely a work in progress. There's no way they could charge ore or provide rewards for this in the state that it's in right now, and they knew that which is why it's labeled Early Access and costs nothing. We're acting as testers for them and providing feedback, not playing it as a proper competitive mode.

That's obviously not for everybody though. I think it was a mistake to remove Arena entirely given that Draft is still in an early form. I didn't care for Arena, but for anybody who did the current state of Draft is not a suitable replacement because the lack of cost/reward means the key strategy for winning is to reroll for free until RNG gives you an absolutely busted deck. It goes entirely against the point of Limited play, which is to make the most out of subpar cards by finding interesting or unusual synergies, and compete against others doing the exact same.

I expect they're getting a lot of data about what people are picking, especially since it's more fun to click through packages and build decks than to actually play them right now.
Huge mistake to take away arena without a viable alternative for no reason. I am so disappointed.

Please give us the choice between Arena (Legacy) and the new Draft mode.
Yes please. It looks like even old arena will be so much better than draft.

It's too early for me to tell if Draft is going to be better or worse than Arena, but here are a few early thoughts.

I did not enjoy the new drafting process anywhere near as much as the one in Arena (despite Arena's shortcomings). It just felt too restricted and almost "on rails". I can appreciate that there are many more cards and packages that can still be added to the draft mode, but at the moment it just felt like there wasn't enough variety. It feels a bit too "pre-constructed".

I would prefer more player choices during a draft. 11 choices of 1 from 3 just doesn't seem enough. For a start, does it have to be limited to just 3 options? I think having 4 options would make the player feel like they have more say over their draft (5 options might be too many).

As for the options themselves, packages of 3 cards feels limiting too. Even if they don't go back to picking each card individually like in Arena, perhaps packages of 2 cards would be better, or perhaps picking 1 card from 4 options and then selecting a 2 card package from 4 sets that may or may not have synergy with it. The way it is set up at the moment makes it so the weighted RNG mechanic is making a lot of those choices for the player, and thus removing agency from them.

I can see that CDPR are going for a fun approach with plenty of splashy plays and packages, but to me, it currently feels even more unbalanced than Arena was at its worst. I think Draft should be a more fun mode, but probably shouldn't be too crazy too often. Fine tuning may help reduce this problem.

Personally I think I would prefer a format that feels less "constructed", and more like Arena, but with better balance between the overall strength of decks. There are many ways this could have been achieved with Arena, including having fixed minimum amounts of cards of a specific rarity or provision cost, for example, or even allowing an overdraft of a few extra cards then letting the player select say 25 of 30 drafted cards to keep for their run (plus leader and strategem). I appreciate that this is unlikely though as Draft will supplant Arena in the same way that Homecoming did original Beta Gwent. Things move on and that's just how it is.

As for the question of cooldowns between drafts, entry fees and prizes, I would strongly prefer them, but appreciate that those can come later when Draft mode is out of Beta.

I'm not against this Draft mode, but I'm not keen on it as it is right now. Hopefully feedback from this Beta will help CDPR improve and refine it.
Great Post!

With Arena gone and rapid seasonal mode nearly a full year away it's time to uninstall Gwent. Been here since day 1 of open beta, spent hundreds of fun hours with the game but it's time to call it a day. Arena was far from perfect but it was so much fun building a deck looking for that weird combo or putting crazy synergy pieces together only to be beaten by even crazier decks. Draft fells so terrible, unrewarding, unfun and unbalanced it's worse than ranked. Thanks CDPR, see you in the next Witcher game.
As a long-term arena player I also start thinking about quitting. Why are they doing this?

Please return the Arena mode at least while the new system is not tested well.

Last edited:
The more I play draft the more I love it, and I play the decks I draft instead of wasting time trying to get crazy combos.
This opponent must have been frustrated by all the movement I did (three Tax Collectors and Imke, plus Arena Ghoul but that one made no difference).
View attachment 11066795
I lost by one point in the end but it was an awesome match.
HAHAH

me too.

Ok i have to admit, i am rerolling to get crazy combos and thats its amazing.

I just made a deck with 2 corvos, 3 dandelions and 3 priscilas.

In one match, in last round i played 2 dandenlions and 2 corvos. I dont need to say who wins.

But i admit, my opponent had a crazy combo too. He used 3 Harald Houndsnout and didnt killed anyone of the harald's friend. Than he used ritual sacrifice and activate all the haralds friends damage.

That was crazy too, but for my luck, even with 18 damages, neither the corvos and neither the dandelions had died, so i just continue my combo until the end

Last edited:
I played Gwent a lot in beta, then quit before the big changes to the game came around, and then started playing again a month ago. I got hooked into arena this 2nd time around and I'm sad to see it gone right after I started playing again. I tried the draft mode once and played a few games with my draft and it's not for me. I don't like the no risk/no reward aspect at all. Might as well just play ranked or whatever the seasonal mode is. From the few games that I did play, the balance in power seems way worse than arena ever was (I'm guessing people are just re-doing their drafts until they get a god-tier deck).

I'm hoping arena will come back (why not have both modes?) but in the meantime I don't see myself playing the draft mode.

Payus

Forum regular
I played the draft for several days now and it seems there is no choice of Oneiromancy or AA but there are other Echo cards like Coup.

I also did not see any artifacts like Sihil
Amphibious Assault is offered as a core card. Blood eagle is in packages, i've gotten 2 of them in a row(and proceeded to draft only 1 warrior...)

Top Bottom