Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
TheKiwi said:
TheKiwi said:
see first post: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0
That's no help, if you don't tell this guy that his error message means the official site downloads garbage 75 - 80 % of attempts. (Maybe worse. I made three tries for the main file, all from the Polish site were truncated. At that point, anywhere but the official crap site seemed better.)
the official site supports resuming, if the transfer is stopped you can resume it ( providing that you use Opera/Firefox or a download manager )
TheKiwi said:
i have applied the patch and now when i want to play he give me an " Send or Don't Send " error......please help me :wall:
do test the sound fix first: run DXDIAG -> sound -> get acceleration one notch to the left, close dxdiag, try to run the game, if it works go here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16688.msg394669#msg394669 to get the sound fix and put sound acceleration back to full, if not read the link posted by The Kiwi

Well, as I said, this second time around (after having waited with the 'modifying game files' message for 8 hours the first time), I uninstalled EVERYTHING Witcher-related, uninstalled all .net framework files, cleaned out my registry with RegScrubXP and CCleaner, and then reinstalled all .net framework files from the ground up (1.1, 2.0, 2.0 SP1, 3.0, 3.0 SP1, plus all updates and hotfixes), and then installed Windows XP SP 3 for good measure, as well.I then reinstalled the Witcher to a fresh 1.0 state on my hard drive, and tried the 'universal extractor' trick on the EE upgrade files this time. As of right now, I'm just passing the two-hour mark with the 'modifying game files' message... Can anyone tell me for sure that it's actually at all worthwhile to wait much longer for it? Is it actually likely to do anything, or am i just going to wait another 8 hours and have to abort? Should it sound like the installation is accessing my hard-drive? (it really hasn't made a peep in the two hours, which makes me wonder whether it's doing anything at all!)Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. This is starting to get seriously frustrating...Thanks very much,RoA

RandomOfAmber said:
Should it sound like the installation is accessing my hard-drive? (it really hasn't made a peep in the two hours, which makes me wonder whether it's doing anything at all!)
the hard drive activity light should blink as hell, if not something is wrongwhy didn't you try to install the normal way once you've cleaned everything?

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Should it sound like the installation is accessing my hard-drive? (it really hasn't made a peep in the two hours, which makes me wonder whether it's doing anything at all!)
the hard drive activity light should blink as hell, if not something is wrongwhy didn't you try to install the normal way once you've cleaned everything?
Because the normal way didn't work the first time around -- that seems a simple enough answer, considering the fact that all I did differently the second time around was uninstall and reinstall the .Net Framework. Everything else had already been done for the FIRST attempt, as well. I just don't understand why this installer doesn't appear to be doing anything at all. My CPU in the task manager is running at a consistent 50%+ this whole time, with just the installer running, and yet there's no hard drive activity at all, as far as I can tell...Am I going to have to do this whole bloody procedure over again? And even if I uninstall everything again, I have literally ZERO faith that running the vanilla installer is going to have any effect other than to hang, just like it's done the first two times around...Should I try to run the installer in Safe Mode with Networking (or similar)? Any advice at all would be appreciated!Thanks,RoA

You should include the step to check downloads are good before proceeding with the installation. How to generate and compare MD5 hash codes. It's important that they match exactly the codes located here http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.4_patch else the download is corrupted or incomplete. Checking file sizes is no way near as good as checking the hash codes.Note also that removal of firewall and anti-virus in my case did not remedy the 'Catastrophic Error' and the only way I got past this hurdle was to unpack the TWEE_Upgrade.exe using the universal extractor suggested on this forum. When the unpacker is finished there is a folder created called disk1 with a setup.exe file. Move the language downloads and any other extras into the same folder as the setup.exe and run this file. With the unpacked method there is no need to uninstall Comodo or Anti-virus just disable them as you would any other installation.

updated the OP: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.msg389120#msg389120 with some advices from dem0nter. 10Q

McFlow said:
I have some trubble aplying the EE patch, as well. I start the TWEE_UPGRADE.exe and agree to all the licenes. Then the porgramm told me to register my game. So I did. Then I reran the whole thing and then it aksed me to log in. No problem so far. But a few seconds later after checking the login data it tells me that there is no registered product on my system. What the hell am I doing wrong?
thats the problem im having....well i was already registered way before this came out, but it keeps telling me that i need to register my game so i cant install it :(

cbacba said:
You should include the step to check downloads are good before proceeding with the installation. How to generate and compare MD5 hash codes. It's important that they match exactly the codes located here http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.4_patch else the download is corrupted or incomplete. Checking file sizes is no way near as good as checking the hash codes.Note also that removal of firewall and anti-virus in my case did not remedy the 'Catastrophic Error' and the only way I got past this hurdle was to unpack the TWEE_Upgrade.exe using the universal extractor suggested on this forum. When the unpacker is finished there is a folder created called disk1 with a setup.exe file. Move the language downloads and any other extras into the same folder as the setup.exe and run this file. With the unpacked method there is no need to uninstall Comodo or Anti-virus just disable them as you would any other installation.
Hey cbacba,Not sure if that last post was directed at me or at someone else, but if at me then I can say categorically that I had, in fact, checked all the hash codes on all the files I'm using. And this last installation attempt I even tried the universal extractor trick -- to no avail. I think this time around I'm going to try to run the install from Safe Mode with Networking, under the bare-bones administrator profile... I guess I'll see if that does anything different...-RoA

for the new users having problems installing the EE patch, read the first post of this thread first: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.msg389120#msg389120 10Q

Angel777com said:
Same error when i just do it works in provvisory mode..the patch starts but with this error after check my original version...NOTCENSURED error catastrofyc.P.s.Italian languages...
How to resolve this?I just tried..uncompress but doesn't work on TWEEupdate........

Hi,This is Stefan from Germany. Sorry for my bad english.For hours I`m trying to install TWEE.Everytime i start TWEE_upgrade.exe and it comes to the Online-activation/registration... I`m told to register my game copy.But i already registerd my game month ago.Can anybody please help.Greetings Stefan

Angel777com said:
Angel777com said:
Same error when i just do it works in provvisory mode..the patch starts but with this error after check my original version...NOTCENSURED error catastrofyc.P.s.Italian languages...
How to resolve this?I just tried..uncompress but doesn't work on TWEEupdate........
read the first post of this thread first: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.msg389120#msg389120

stefan2607 said:
Hi,This is Stefan from Germany. Sorry for my bad english.For hours I`m trying to install TWEE.Everytime i start TWEE_upgrade.exe and it comes to the Online-activation/registration... I`m told to register my game copy.But i already registerd my game month ago.Can anybody please help.Greetings Stefan
just register again

I don't mean to be harping on and on here, but I still haven't managed to get the EE to finish installing, and could really do with some help.What I've done so far:A clean 1.0 --> 1.4 installation attempt with Windows SP2 and a registry cleaned by CCleaner and RegScrubXP (waited 8 hours)A clean 1.0 --> 1.4 installation attempt with Windows SP2, having reinstalled the entirety of my .Net Framework from the ground-up (waited 4 hours)A clean 1.0 --> 1.4 installation attempt with Windows SP3, having decompressed the TWEE_Upgrade.exe file and run the setup.exe instead (waited 4 hours)A clean 1.0 --> 1.4 installation attempt with Windwos SP3, attempting to run the installer in Safe Mode with Networking (this failed, because I couldn't get my networking to operate in the first place... )My persistent problem is that everything seems to go just fine with the installation, until it starts the 'Modifying Game Files' portion of the install. Then, it seems that the installer just hangs -- it stops accessing the hard drive completely, and yet still seems to be churning away at about 50% capacity on my processors (according to the Task Manager). But as far as I can tell, nothing's actually happening. And as you can see from my above attempts, I'm certainly waiting long enough for SOMETHING to have happened. Hell, I even tried calling technical support. But clearly they just don't answer their phones -- it went straight to a voicemail message which told me "Please feel free to leave a message. Be advised, however, that we cannot individually answer messages left on this line." You work that one out -- I dare you. :pAny help or advice at all would really, really be appreciated.Thanks,RoAp.s. I should have pointed out as well that I have in fact run a hash check on all of the installation files and they are apparently perfectly fine.

Download everything apparently Ok but when installation starts get the error that the localised.key does not (agree) with the setup's cab file Have tried reinstalling The Witcher from CD but same result - I think the same degree of fixing the original with the enhanced should have been applied to the distribution of the software - will revisit in a week but am not impressed.

RandomOfAmber said:
(...)A clean 1.0 --> 1.4 installation attempt with Windwos SP3, attempting to run the installer in Safe Mode with Networking (this failed, because I couldn't get my networking to operate in the first place... )(...)
What I’d recommend is to try to get your network running in safe mode. But if this doesn’t work, you could try to run msconfig (type it in the run box from the start button) and choose Diagnostic Startup and reboot with this setting, and try to patch TWEE in this mode. Alternatively, if that doesn’t work, you can run msconfig and choose Selective Startup and deselect all services and startup items that are not required to get network access, and then try to restart and patch in this mode. After you finish patching, remember to run msconfig again and choose normal startup and reboot.

Aladin101 said:
What I’d recommend is to try to get your network running in safe mode. But if this doesn’t work, you could try to run msconfig (type it in the run box from the start button) and choose Diagnostic Startup and reboot with this setting, and try to patch TWEE in this mode. Alternatively, if that doesn’t work, you can run msconfig and choose Selective Startup and deselect all services and startup items that are not required to get network access, and then try to restart and patch in this mode. After you finish patching, remember to run msconfig again and choose normal startup and reboot.
I appreciate the advice, Aladin101, and I'd certainly like to give it a go, which was why I'd tried it in the first place. As I said, however, I haven't been able to get my networking up and running when in 'Safe Mode with Networking'. Do you happen to have any suggestions, on that front? I'm operating on a household wireless network, using a Belkin 802.11g 54Mbps receiver, in case that info helps at all. Networking isn't exactly my area of expertise, though, so I'm a bit out of my depth. Perhaps while I wait to hear back from you, I'll try mucking about in my msconfig with a Diagnostic Startup, see what I can accomplish there. Hope to hear from you again soon. Thanks!-RoA

Wow, you did all this to instal the patch? Good job! Though It didn't work for you :-\ I downloaded the patch from a different site this time, 10 hours, still doesn't respond. I checked the files before running the patch. CD project needs to fix it soon, or else i'll http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5axgngoPUUo&feature=related

Top Bottom