Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
i am in the same boat.tried to do a clean install of .net in the order given but TWEE still didnt budge. it gets to modifying files but then just keeps going and going.i left it overnight again and no go.too bad, cuz i was looking forward to it too.

ambient-whisper said:
i am in the same boat.tried to do a clean install of .net in the order given but TWEE still didnt budge. it gets to modifying files but then just keeps going and going.i left it overnight again and no go.too bad, cuz i was looking forward to it too.
I guess we're 4 people then, with the same bug. Postin on this forum that is..

As this is my first post - and will be my last - I have to congratulate most previous posters on this subject. I simply don't have the patience you people do! A couple of hours to get the downloads finished and then another 1½ hours waiting for the "upgrade" to be applied (only to have it crash-out with an incorrect message to the effect that "no files have been changed" - strange that, because the game folder is now practically devoid of files) is too much for me, I'm sorry to say. I'm now faced with another few hours of work as I search my system for all the bits & pieces of "The Witcher" that are left behind and then try to safely remove them. My apologies to the development team, but I'm relegating your game DVD to the coffee-cup-coaster stack and won't be taking a chance on any of your future releases. Thanks for making a superb game, though - it WAS good while it lasted, unfortunately the EE patch is a complete screw-up and has lost you a customer.

RandomOfAmber said:
I appreciate the advice, Aladin101, and I'd certainly like to give it a go, which was why I'd tried it in the first place. As I said, however, I haven't been able to get my networking up and running when in 'Safe Mode with Networking'. Do you happen to have any suggestions, on that front? I'm operating on a household wireless network, using a Belkin 802.11g 54Mbps receiver, in case that info helps at all. Networking isn't exactly my area of expertise, though, so I'm a bit out of my depth. Perhaps while I wait to hear back from you, I'll try mucking about in my msconfig with a Diagnostic Startup, see what I can accomplish there. Hope to hear from you again soon. Thanks!-RoA
I don’t have any personal experience with a network setup like yours, but I’d suggest trying a hardware forum (maybe Belkin has one). Let me know how the msconfig attempts go. Also, do you have any antivirus or Internet security software installed?

I'm a little bit disapointed, since I just bought the Game yesterday. I installed it today and downloaded the 1.4 Patch as well as the german language pack.But neighter does the game run by itself (when I try to start the game, the CD-ROM roars a little - 30 seconds or so - and that's all. Nothing happens.When I try to install the patch I get the mysterious error message:Feature: UncensoredComponent:File:Description: Critical ErrorAnd that's it.So I currently have nothing. No game, no update.EDIT: PS: Reading (and follwing) the hints in the other Thread (Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions) did NOT help in any way.Deactivating of AntiVirus-Software, (Windows-)Firewall, Router-Firewall and setting my PC as Exposed Host did not change any behaviour of the Update File. Still crashing on localized.key.

Aladin101 said:
I don’t have any personal experience with a network setup like yours, but I’d suggest trying a hardware forum (maybe Belkin has one). Let me know how the msconfig attempts go. Also, do you have any antivirus or Internet security software installed?
I'll look into the Belkin forum possibility. As for Antivirus programs, I'm currently not running any - recently removed Kaspersky (cleanly, I believe). As for internet security, the only thing I have active at the moment is SpyBot Search&Destroy, but I've been disabling that anytime I try to run the TWEE installer.-RoA

KeybdFlyer said:
My apologies to the development team, but I'm relegating your game DVD to the coffee-cup-coaster stack and won't be taking a chance on any of your future releases. Thanks for making a superb game, though - it WAS good while it lasted, unfortunately the EE patch is a complete screw-up and has lost you a customer.
if CDP was stopping at patch 1.3 things were bad, but you could play anywayif they worked another year to get a big patch for the gamers, but the installation ( not the content ) has issues, then things are badis there no middle way?

I bet I'm blind or just can't find a helping solution for a common problems I still have.I can't get passed the hours and hours taking modify process. 15hours didn't seem enough or 12 for another versio.All works fine untill that, so I might need slightly guidance what to do here, as I can't even find any help on the first post, or like I said, I'm just blind.

Cube-Head said:
I bet I'm blind or just can't find a helping solution for a common problems I still have.I can't get passed the hours and hours taking modify process. 15hours didn't seem enough or 12 for another versio.All works fine untill that, so I might need slightly guidance what to do here, as I can't even find any help on the first post, or like I said, I'm just blind.
ah the same problemive noticed that in Task manager The Wintcher Patch prosses just do not responding :(dear developers, please explain what can we do to fix it?i'm trying all this day, installing the game, trying to upgragу and then all again.....

LordLethris said:
A friend of mine had the same issue.Turn off any power management features.That fixed it.
Ummm... what's thare really suppose to mean?Ah, like screensaver and power-saving modes etc?Well I don't use any of those =/

it should take about 10-15 min on a good systemMy install took 7min.you need about 3gb free on the HDD too run the patch.Download a freash copy of the patch. AND check the size of the TWEE file. I noticed on friday quite a number of times, the patch download prematurly ended. So it "looked" like it was finished, but infact it was only about 800mb. The TWEE patch should be about 909mb IIRC (im at work, so if someone else can post the proper size that would be great)If it is still hanging, I suggest you scan your HDD for errors, and/or check your RAM for errors.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Same error when i just do it works in provvisory mode..the patch starts but with this error after check my original version...NOTCENSURED error catastrofyc.P.s.Italian languages...
How to resolve this?I just tried..uncompress but doesn't work on TWEEupdate........
read the first post of this thread first: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.msg389120#msg389120
I tried in provvisory antivirus i think is not loaded..but error remain notcensured error in installing at localized.keyDo you think i must disinstall antivirus to try?

LordLethris said:
it should take about 10-15 min on a good systemMy install took 7min.you need about 3gb free on the HDD too run the patch.Download a freash copy of the patch. AND check the size of the TWEE file. I noticed on friday quite a number of times, the patch download prematurly ended. So it "looked" like it was finished, but infact it was only about 800mb. The TWEE patch should be about 909mb IIRC (im at work, so if someone else can post the proper size that would be great)If it is still hanging, I suggest you scan your HDD for errors, and/or check your RAM for errors.
I have. Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA2MSI K9A2 Platinum, AMD 790FX, DDR2, ATX, Socket-AM2+Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5,AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz SocketXFX GeForce 9800GTX 760M 512MB BLACK,Fortron/Source Epsilon 600WWindows XP 64 bit.It took me 15 hours, before abondoning it. Power saving? Just what do you mean by that?

Angel777com said:
Angel777com said:
Angel777com said:
Angel777com said:
Same error when i just do it works in provvisory mode..the patch starts but with this error after check my original version...NOTCENSURED error catastrofyc.P.s.Italian languages...
How to resolve this?I just tried..uncompress but doesn't work on TWEEupdate........
read the first post of this thread first: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.msg389120#msg389120
I tried in provvisory antivirus i think is not loaded..but error remain notcensured error in installing at localized.keyDo you think i must disinstall antivirus to try?
Uninstalling your antivirus is generally a bad idea. The better solution is to boot up in safe mode (F8 during boot up), or using msconfig as described above, which will temporarily disable any antivirus (and other processes that might interfere) while patching. Try the UniExtracter while in safe mode. If you’re using Kaspersky Internet Security, you can try my advice on page 34.

I was getting the Error: Catastrophic Failure signal. Here is what I did. First, I followed the suggestions posted here of shutting down my firewall and anti-virus. Alone, that did not do it. I deleted The Witcher and did a fresh install. That didn't do it, either. I then, at the suggestion of CD Projekt, deleted all of my .Net Framework (I had up through 3.5). That got me closer in that I saw "Installing Redistributables" but it ultimately failed. I then took the suggestion (also from CD Projekt) of using the "Beware" approach of using the Universal Extractor. That did it. My files updating stage took a little less than an hour by the clock (FX-55 system).For those of you struggling, some hints.First, of course, don't download from the Polish site. All the mirrors work and are much, much faster - that makes for less frustration. Do check your work with MD5 for the checksum scores but you'll probably find everything from the mirrors downloads completely.Second, follow the suggestions right from the starting block - shut down your firewall and anti-virus (I don't think they will have a negative impact if left on but it only takes a second), and attempt to install everything.Third, if the installation fails, save your Saved Games (if you want, I didn't), delete the old copy of The Witcher and do a fresh installation from your disk.Fourth, now try to install the 1.4 patch.Fifth, if that doesn't work, deleted .Net Framework is pretty quick so give that a try. Reinstall it. Then try to install the patch.Six, if that doesn't work, use Universal Extractor >and put everything in the same game folder with your language pack and extra adventures< and give it a shot. (http://legroom.net/software/uniextract)Seven, be sure to turn your anti-virus and firewall back on.Please note: all of these things are cumulative; that is, at the end, step Six, my anti-virus and firewall were off.Once installation commences, leave your computer alone - interruption of the patching process can result in the need for a fresh installation as files will be unfinished and therefore corrupted.Seriously, if I'd had all of the above steps in front of me when I started (I spent 24 hrs trying to download the 1.4 patch, for example), I could have gotten everything done in a little more than two hours counting all downloads.My thanks to the CD Projekt staff for their fast responses in the face of a tsunami of messages. My particular thanks to the user - forgive me, I did not copy down your name - who discovered the Universal Extractor approach.Now, I'm going to go kill something...

LordLethris said:
I've checked the md5sum's on the two latest copy which I have and they are 100% same, also used LeechGet one the other and FireFox own on the other. And I don't think it's the space as I have a freash HDD with lots of space to be use.

Hallo zusammen!Ich habe da ein Problem...ich würde gerne mein Spiel registreren,aber trotzallem,dass ich hier angemeldet bin,ist dieses SPIEL REGISTRIEREN bei mir ausgeblendet!!!Dabei würde ich so gerne den neuen Patch installieren :-[Hat noch jemand das Problem?Ich bin für jede Hilfe dankbar ;DIch bin hier zwar neu,aber ich hoffe das macht nix ::)Liebe Grüsse an alle

For my error (censored, that failed TWEE_Upgrade at initial update) I was able to fix it by simply starting up in Safe Mode (F8 at boot up) with Networking (so the updater can validate your registration). The install went through just fine, although I had a clean install of the Witcher.

LoboAW said:
I was getting the Error: Catastrophic Failure signal. Here is what I did. First, I followed the suggestions posted here of shutting down my firewall and anti-virus. Alone, that did not do it. I deleted The Witcher and did a fresh install. That didn't do it, either. I then, at the suggestion of CD Projekt, deleted all of my .Net Framework (I had up through 3.5). That got me closer in that I saw "Installing Redistributables" but it ultimately failed. I then took the suggestion (also from CD Projekt) of using the "Beware" approach of using the Universal Extractor. That did it. My files updating stage took a little less than an hour by the clock (FX-55 system).For those of you struggling, some hints.First, of course, don't download from the Polish site. All the mirrors work and are much, much faster - that makes for less frustration. Do check your work with MD5 for the checksum scores but you'll probably find everything from the mirrors downloads completely.Second, follow the suggestions right from the starting block - shut down your firewall and anti-virus (I don't think they will have a negative impact if left on but it only takes a second), and attempt to install everything.Third, if the installation fails, save your Saved Games (if you want, I didn't), delete the old copy of The Witcher and do a fresh installation from your disk.Fourth, now try to install the 1.4 patch.Fifth, if that doesn't work, deleted .Net Framework is pretty quick so give that a try. Reinstall it. Then try to install the patch.Six, if that doesn't work, use Universal Extractor >and put everything in the same game folder with your language pack and extra adventures< and give it a shot. (http://legroom.net/software/uniextract)Seven, be sure to turn your anti-virus and firewall back on.Please note: all of these things are cumulative; that is, at the end, step Six, my anti-virus and firewall were off.Once installation commences, leave your computer alone - interruption of the patching process can result in the need for a fresh installation as files will be unfinished and therefore corrupted.Seriously, if I'd had all of the above steps in front of me when I started (I spent 24 hrs trying to download the 1.4 patch, for example), I could have gotten everything done in a little more than two hours counting all downloads.My thanks to the CD Projekt staff for their fast responses in the face of a tsunami of messages. My particular thanks to the user - forgive me, I did not copy down your name - who discovered the Universal Extractor approach.Now, I'm going to go kill something...
I agree with most of what Lobo(AW) says. However Universal Extractor was the bit that made it work for me. I did not have to disable or uninstall my firewall or antivirus software. I own ZoneAlarm Pro and Nod32 antivirus. All I had to do was set ZoneAlarm Pro into "Game Mode" this just allows internet access without any popup messages. As for Nod32, it's set to scan every file and I did not have to change it.Please, disable your firewall and anti-virus only as a last resort. As far as I could tell, once you enter your username and password no further access to the internet is required.I don't know if this helped or not, but when I extracted the install files, I placed them in a folder on the same drive as the game.Best regards and good luck,Shad.

Top Bottom