Error [content0]game\types.ws

+
I recently removed several mods and now I am getting error messages every time I attempt to run the game.
I have tried to fix it using the GOG Galaxy desktop app by selecting More >Manage Installation> Verify/Repair... However that has not worked. At one point I removed the file containing the errors and used GOG Galaxy's verify/repair feature to repair/re-install the file but when I launched the game I received the same errors.

The error messages I keep receiving are:

Error [content0]game\types.ws(52): Enum 'EAreaName' already defined.
Error [content0]game\types.ws(68): Enum 'EDlcAreaName' already defined.

I'm not sure what to do. I have fixed errors on my own in the past but I can't figure out how to fix this. I can read the error message. The message it refers to lines 52 and 68 of the Witcher Script labeled types located in the content0 folder in the game directory. I looked at the file and didn't notice anything wrong but I'm slightly new to programming so I could be mistaken.

Will someone tell me what I must do to fix the errors so that I play the game.

Last edited:
So the errors persists even after getting a fresh, untouched copy of that file? That's strange.
([content0] files shouldn't be edited precisely because doing so can lead to problems later on.)

I would try removing the entire [content0]\scripts folder and then running Verify/Repair one more time. Maybe the error is not caused by that particular file despite what the error message says. (What I mean by that is that maybe the Enums are defined in some other file but because this file tries to define them again it throws those errors. Just guessing here, though.)

I removed the entire folder and ran verify/repair last night before bed. I tried launching the game this morning but I still got the same error messages. I just removed all the scripts in content0 and used gog galaxy to re-install them but the errors have not gone away.

I am not sure what I did or what happened. I have not touched or messed with any of the content0 scripts, at least not until the error messages started to appear yesterday.

I've never heard of such persistent errors before -- and thus I don't have any further recommendations. Truly bizarre. :confused:

I uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it in a different location but that didn't fix the issue. I still get the same error message every time I attempt to launch the game.

I am stumped. I have no clue what happened or how to fix it. Hopefully GOG has a support team I can contact.

The problem is that it still seems to be mod related which makes it difficult to fix as it‘s not an issue of the vanilla version. Looks like mods messed with some of the other files of the game in some way. Not sure if removing the user.settings file for TW3 can change that.

But there‘s a similar thread here:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/compilation-error-already-defined.56937/

No idea if that helps though

Support can be reached here (click on contact us): https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/1003/the-game-is-not-launching-2

So, I'm a little late to the party but, I too am getting errors. These are the errors that I got:

With no end in site as to how to fix the problem (I even looked for duplicate script files as suggested somewhere else, I can't remember where though). So, I disabled all mods after un-merging the scripts, then removed the game. And then I checked the game folder to see what was left over from some mods that my not have been removed, and that's when I found a remaining script that, sure enough, also defined the two above areas. The name of the extra .ws file was called areaTypes.ws. areaTypes was loded first then types.ws was loading after, or the other way around, doesn't matter because it loaded the same areas.

So, anybody else, look for areaTypes.ws and remove it. That could be someone else's issue. Also it wouldn't hurt to look through the game folders after you remove the game and manually delete anything left behind, then install everything fresh.
Post automatically merged:

I want to also add (since it just popped into my head right before typing this message) after each mod installed that adds a script, look in that folder and check all of the names. If you see anything that even remotely looks the same, open it up in a text editor (you can use the basic Notepad, or go get Notepad++ (recommended)) to see if they are the exact same thing.

If they do the exact same thing, delete the one that was installed. It may be more work and a bit tedious, but it doesn't hurt to do it. You'll then have to contact the mod author and let them know that their mod is creating a new, duplicate, script. Be nice when contacting, they go through enough crap already. And have proof with a screenshot.

Yes, another add on post, :p

I wanted to say that I have no idea which mod added that areaTypes.ws file. So I can't help on that one. But if a new one gets loaded when I start modding the game again, I will contact the mod author and then post which mod added it.

I think I'm done adding more to this.

I looked in the "Preview Files" for the Community Patch - Base on Nexus, I saw that this add the areaTypes.ws file. I have contacted WHGhost81 to see if it is needed and if one of them can be safely removed.

While waiting for a reply, I am going to move the original to a backup folder, and use the one in the Base mod.

It seems that Community Patch - Base is related to the Community Patch - Bootstrap mod. I don't care for Bootstrap, it has too many problems with mods that I want to use. And if I want to use my favorite mods and if I'm forced to use Bootstrap, then I would either have to wait for the mod to be updated (like that's going to happen, there are a ton of mods abandoned), or get rid of all of the Community Patches.

Which would make me lose Friendly HUD, Friendly Storage & Friendly Meditation because WHGhost81 is the maker of the Community Patch - Base mod. And I'm sure it is now linked to the Community Patches.

I am mistaken. This is just fine. I have to find out what mod conflicts with this. Game started up fine with only this Community Patch - Base installed, no other mods. I will get to the bottom of this. and report back so other can know.

Last edited:
I forgot to update my findings when I got it fixed. Here is what I did:

1. Delete all merges
2. Removed all mods
3. Uninstall TW3
4. Install TW3
5. Manually install Community Patch - Base according to the instructions.
6. Manually install Community Patch - Bootstrap
a. Community Patch - Bootstrap - modBootstrap - Registry file is to be installed first.
b. Download either Community Patch - Bootstrap - modBootstrap - v.0.4.1 or modBootstrap - v.0.4.1 - unmodified - worldmap (you choose either one based on what you are planning to install later). If you are not going to use a mod that changes the game's map, manually install v.0.4.1. If you are going to use All Quest Markers, Colored Map Markers & those types of mods, you need to manually install v.0.4.1 - unmodified - worldmap.
7. Manually install Community Patch - The Besserwisser (Optional). It is for game fixes and improves Nitpicker's fixes.
8. Manually install Community Patch - Menu Strings (Optional). For the in game mod menu options. You have to manually change mods that you have that has a menu in the game. Adding custom menu tags by adding the tags in a mod's WS file ( a little daunting at first, but pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.).
9. Manually install Community Patch - Shared Imports (Highly Optional). Here is where I think caused a lot of the problems so, I did not re-install this mod. I also got different versions of mods that had "Shared Imports" as an optional file and installed that original/ non-Shared Imports version. I will explain my reason below.

You are now done with the needed and optional Community Patches mods. I highly recommend using TW3 Mod Manager (W3MM) to install all of the mods you are going to add, unless you are comfortable manually installing them. Do NOT use Vortex or NMM, TW3 is a highly complicated process to mod and they can't handle it properly. Even if one of the mods you want to download says that you can use either Vortex or NMM, I still would not do it. You can run the risk of it not being installed correctly. W3MM handles them perfectly. You can now start adding the mods you want in the game. Be sure to run script merger, I also recommend taking a look at the mods through the Mod Merger https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1931 to see what texture and character mods conflict by clicking on the "Recommend" button then clicking on the "Conflict" button. This will show you the conflicts, you'll have to un-check each mod down the list to see what is being removed from the conflict on the right side of the screen. I did a video a while back explaining how to use it. Fast Forward if I get a bit long winded.
You'll have to resolve those conflicts by load order or removal of the mods that you think that you really don't need.

My reason for not installing Community Patch - Shared Imports again. I am no way saying or implying that SI has problems, with all of the older mods I have, I don't think that they play nice with SI. I don't think that most of the older mods will ever get updated to have an optional SI file, so I removed SI and all of the mods that had SI support (it was only a couple of mods that I got that had SI support). After doing the above steps and not adding SI again, my game compiled (with the help of acbatchlore) after I fixed the script merge of Besserwisser & ESGO. The game started right up. What it could have been, me not following the instructions to the letter, when installing Community Patch Bootstrap and Basic, but I still didn't want to take that extra chance of SI not working with the older mods.

1. Delete all merges
2. Installed the unified patch
3. Manually install Community Patch - Base according to the instructions.
4. Community Patch - Bootstrap - modBootstrap - Registry file is to be installed first.
5. Download either Community Patch - Bootstrap - modBootstrap - v.0.4.1 or modBootstrap - v.0.4.1 - unmodified - worldmap

Used NMM here
6. installed Community Patch - The Besserwisser (Optional). It is for game fixes and improves Nitpicker's fixes.

Didn't need to do anything else from that list and most of it i didn't touch when i had a working game

Took me about 5 mins to fix without needing to reinstall the entire game at all

Only thing killing my game after the fact is the level scaling mod - no levels

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 Mod Manager is the best for installing all mods for the game. NMM has a track record of mucking up the loading of mods for TW3. I am a NMM user for other games except all 3 Witcher games.

The reason why I removed and installed the game was to make sure I didn't have any residual files that could mess everything up.

I recently removed several mods and now I am getting error messages every time I attempt to run the game.
I have tried to fix it using the GOG Galaxy desktop app by selecting More >Manage Installation> Verify/Repair... However that has not worked. At one point I removed the file containing the errors and used GOG Galaxy's verify/repair feature to repair/re-install the file but when I launched the game I received the same errors.

The error messages I keep receiving are:

I'm not sure what to do. I have fixed errors on my own in the past but I can't figure out how to fix this. I can read the error message. The message it refers to lines 52 and 68 of the Witcher Script labeled types located in the content0 folder in the game directory. I looked at the file and didn't notice anything wrong but I'm slightly new to programming so I could be mistaken.

Will someone tell me what I must do to fix the errors so that I play the game.
If you are using commmunity path base just copy the types.ws from mod to game script folder. This solves the issue for me.

1. Delete all merges
2. Installed the unified patch
3. Manually install Community Patch - Base according to the instructions.
4. Community Patch - Bootstrap - modBootstrap - Registry file is to be installed first.
5. Download either Community Patch - Bootstrap - modBootstrap - v.0.4.1 or modBootstrap - v.0.4.1 - unmodified - worldmap

Used NMM here
6. installed Community Patch - The Besserwisser (Optional). It is for game fixes and improves Nitpicker's fixes.

Didn't need to do anything else from that list and most of it i didn't touch when i had a working game

Took me about 5 mins to fix without needing to reinstall the entire game at all

Only thing killing my game after the fact is the level scaling mod - no levels
I just want to say thank you for helping me fix my game

Top Bottom