Fallout 4 Announced For PS4, Xbox One, PC

+
I like that there's finally a use (besides selling it) for all the junk you pick up in Fallout. I've always installed some sort of mod that allows weapon improvements (or expanded crafting) when I play. I'm sure some people will be overjoyed with Simsout (Fallsims?), and it will no doubt drastically increase the amount of time you can invest in the game I VERY happy to hear it's optional. I'll probably make a character home (assuming the gas station isn't one already as well as being a workshop) simply to have someplace to store stuff. But unless there's a good in-game reason for making and populating settlements I doubt I'll bother.

Hopefully the AI for the dog isn't as lame as the unmodded NPC AI usually is in the Fallout series. It was amusing the first time my companion charged head-long at an enemy causing several more to become active and overwhelming us (this is why you save early, save often) but as standard combat behavior it quickly got so annoying I never used with melee companions. But it is nice that he can fetch! No clue why you'd need him to tho.

I like that there's finally a use (besides selling it) for all the junk you pick up in Fallout. I've always installed some sort of mod that allows weapon improvements (or expanded crafting) when I play. I'm sure some people will be overjoyed with Simsout (Fallsims?), and it will no doubt drastically increase the amount of time you can invest in the game I VERY happy to hear it's optional. I'll probably make a character home (assuming the gas station isn't one already as well as being a workshop) simply to have someplace to store stuff. But unless there's a good in-game reason for making and populating settlements I doubt I'll bother.

Hopefully the AI for the dog isn't as lame as the unmodded NPC AI usually is in the Fallout series. It was amusing the first time my companion charged head-long at an enemy causing several more to become active and overwhelming us (this is why you save early, save often) but as standard combat behavior it quickly got so annoying I never used with melee companions. But it is nice that he can fetch! No clue why you'd need him to tho.

I mostly agree. While I always enjoyed Fallout games, some things got a bit annoying after a while. It is nice of them to not ignore the feedback of the games shortcomings. I love how they made armor made of multiple layers and weapons modifiable. (I actually suggested a similar idea for CP77 in the past)

By the way, I think I will make a mid sized settlement in the game. I think it is a nice gimmick to have. With turrets, lights and other things... that just sounds awesome until you get bored with it.

I`m actually impressed. I wouldn`t think Beth would take such risks with the series. it is an indication that they are following the indie market.
It certainly ups the ante for CDPR and I hope they can match if not exceed Beth`s effort.

If they do, a lot more people would go for a tech character (usually an underappreciated class)

Last edited:
oh looks like we are in the same time zone

Seems so yeah. :) My whereabout in the world can be found in my "location" here to the left. It might not be the easiest to figure out... since I have used multiple types of code's to slap that one together. The easy one, SE, is the ISO 3166 code for Sweden though... SE is also the letters that you put at the end of Swedish based websites.

SE-M is also an ISO 3166 code, the M being specificly for my county, Skåne. The 90 is the second half of the full Swedish Municipality code for the municipality of Kristianstad (the first half, 12 (which as seen is not in my "code"), is for my county, but felt that would be redundant to have in there since I already had the M, and also felt it would look "beter" to have it SE-M90, instead of SE-1290... funnily enough, "M90" is also what the Swedish military call their standard camouflage pattern that they currently use, and which was used for my military clothing when I was in the military). And finally C4 if for the town I live in, Kristianstad... but that is not any kind of official numbering code for my city... but rather it is part of my citys coat of arms. It stands for "Christian the IV", the Danish king that built my city 401 years ago to protect against the Swedes... did not go so well... they eventualy lost... pretty badly... clearly. XD

---------- Updated at 12:58 AM ----------

Oh that stuff can be really annoying to me to. To a degree I have never really like to have companions with me in Bethesda games. And a large part of that is due to some of them have a tendency to charge into battle and, as you said, aggro more enemies then needed. I also always felt they cramped style when I wanted to sneak around... which I do a lot... like a lot a lot. XD

The only reason I tended to continue to bring them with me was to use them as mules... seeing as I am one of those players who has a really hard time leaving any item i find behind... no matter how little actual worth they have... like those damn garden gnome statues in FO3... XD

And just like you, I tend to stay away from the melee companions in Fallout... and if I did have melee companions with me I would order them to use ranged weaponry only. I tried to do the same in the old Fallout games as well. Especially in Tactics where I had full control over all the people I had in my team... eventually all but one or two would have sniper types of weaponry as their main, and the remaining one or two would have some kind of heavy machine/mini-gun.

Last edited:
Nay.

Honestly, I thought that CP2077 was going to beat Beth to a pulp because they had much better storytelling.
but after the FO4 trailer, I'm not convinced that it's going to be a surefire slamdunk.

You guys can all hate on Beth.

But the FO4 trailer showed that they were A-Willing to innovate and take risks with their products. Which few other AAA company are willing to do. B-They have their ears to the market.

A lot of features that went into Skyrim originally came from the modding community from the Morrowind era. I am pretty sure that the base building in FO4 comes from the success of minecraft and the likes in the indie market.

It's too early to tell, but it *looks* like they have decided to tackle the storytelling issues by including better animations amongst other things. It would not be surprising if they decided to flip their approach to storytelling completely in Elder Scrolls VI.

Right now, I still give the edge to CDPR due to the setting alone,but I'm partial to neo-noir and good characters. And guns.

Vtmb. Just don't get me started on that game.

Last edited:
There's no "hate". Too much effort with no payoff.

But Beth games tend to be so cluttered up and so evenly thickened in their attempt be "for everyone" that they lose their integrity and focus in the process -- anyone looking for a focused and strong core experience will notice the lackings on all areas as the games are firstly designed with too much in mind and secondly designed for aimless flailing around without any considerations. And Fallout 4 is already first and foremost advertised with a sideattraction completely irrelevant - by admission from the project director no less - to the point of the game (if there even is a point), and followed by a statement that they still sacrificife good storytelling for said flailing but hope that a voiced PC might bring some "emontional engagement" to the story they have cooked up.

I just hope CDPR keeps their heads straight with what they are trying to do with CP and don't resort to this Bethesdian tactic of just digging from the big bag of cool +1 and slapping shit in. I hope the Witcher 3 success hasn't gone into their heads (creating a streamlining party because they now want to attract the seniors and toddlers aswell) and that they still try to create an authentic cRPG true to the CP licence that doesn't try to be everything for everyone but holds on to its integrity and focus, and makes no compromises where such are not called for, and creates a unique game with strong character system and world interaction in line with the PnP and strong branching narrative as is their custom.

Last edited:
I didn't get any sense of the storytelling capability from the FO4 trailer. Could be surprisingly good, could be regular Beth Bland. Base building and what not don't interest me, but hey, more power to those who like it. I would say Beth has always had an ear to the market - that's part of why I call them bland. I like thier stuff, but I also enjoy a simple aged cheddar as well.

And they drop the ball in world consistency. "Have you considered joining the Mages Guild?" to the Archmage or whatever. Siiiigh.

Still.

Flying ACPA.

I'm there, baby. I'm there.

Oh yes... Boston, location of The Institute. I will be very disappointed if you can not aid a full fledged android rebellion. Humans have already shown that they can not be trusted with the planet, why should we give them a second chance?

And they have the audacity to use my kind as slaves? The gull of those meatbags... but soon they will learn their place.

it does. you get colored responses that are persuasion checks, depending on the subject the will pull in another stat besides charisma (i think, could be wrong mind) it's pretty much a UI change.

It's still not the same.
In the previous Fallout you had a lot of different direction to aim your dialogues.
Here, sure if you put a lot in charisma, you can convince someone to help you, pay you more, etc...
But it just... remain in the "story" direction, so you don't have much to chew on.

I just find it lacks personality.
But yeah, Fallout 4 isn't a bad game, if you take it as an FPS it's quite decent, but if you get it and play it expecting to play a "Fallout game", then, no it doesn't even stand against New Vegas.

I was quickly bored, every quest are just "go kill them", the story is cheap, almost no crazy humor like before, etc...
You just end up wandering around, shooting at stuff, it's not really exciting.

You can't even avoid fights by talking, you're forced to go into the fire, so it lost it's main interest for me.
Tho, I can understand the FPS crowd like it, but I don't play Fallout for the gunfights.

I really hope Cyberpunk 2077 won't take this route.
I'd rather have them go the "New Vegas" route, Fallout 4 is too much "Solo" type, you couldn't play a Media in it.
New Vegas had so much directions you could take, but I figure it's what Bethesda is up to nowadays "Give them a rushed game, Modder will do the rest as we get the cash".

Damn... You don't even have Karma in Fallout 4.
Even if you keep using "sarcasm" no one gives a fuck about it, it just either go unoticed, or ends the dialogue.
No repercution or anything, or at least, not as big as it should be.

It's still not the same.
In the previous Fallout you had a lot of different direction to aim your dialogues.
Here, sure if you put a lot in charisma, you can convince someone to help you, pay you more, etc...
But it just... remain in the "story" direction, so you don't have much to chew on.

I just find it lacks personality.
But yeah, Fallout 4 isn't a bad game, if you take it as an FPS it's quite decent, but if you get it and play it expecting to play a "Fallout game", then, no it doesn't even stand against New Vegas.

I was quickly bored, every quest are just "go kill them", the story is cheap, almost no crazy humor like before, etc...
You just end up wandering around, shooting at stuff, it's not really exciting.

You can't even avoid fights by talking, you're forced to go into the fire, so it lost it's main interest for me.
Tho, I can understand the FPS crowd like it, but I don't play Fallout for the gunfights.

I really hope Cyberpunk 2077 won't take this route.
I'd rather have them go the "New Vegas" route, Fallout 4 is too much "Solo" type, you couldn't play a Media in it.
New Vegas had so much directions you could take, but I figure it's what Bethesda is up to nowadays "Give them a rushed game, Modder will do the rest as we get the cash".

Even if you keep using "sarcasm" no one gives a fuck about it, it just either go unoticed, or ends the dialogue.

Yeah I completely agree with all your points.

Again this wasn't the worst game I've played but as an RPG? Ehhhhh.

That really pissed me off though that I couldn't stop a fight even with my charisma at 8, 9 or even 10.

And it really sucks that even NV is better than this game and thought Bethesda would learned from them.:(

The quests are basically the same, the humor isn't even there, and yeah I felt the game was rushed.

I recently played Shadowrun Returns and even the rpg mechanics there were good and the story/dialog was awesome (even with no voice acting)

Lets just hope Bethesda once again learns to change this for ESVI.

Or as one of my feeelthy fellow mods said, "Witchout 4: Wasteland Hunt" .

I'm loving it! Tied with New Vegas right now, but that will fade and NV will emerge supreme, I expect.

The writing is -gasp- adequate! The gameplay is more fun than the previous versions, with fights being pretty exciting. I was on Very Hard, now I'm on Survival, since they keep raising your *&$%^ Hit Points and making you tougher. Stupid mechanic. Next, a mod, so that I can still die in fights.

Of course, I'm running a fairly optimized build for combat; my family members, configured for things like Charisma and/or Building Things, are having a harder time in combat and are fine with Hard to V. Hard diff.

I like the setting, the graphics are much better than I thought they'd be and I've laughed a bunch. Full points to Bethesda for improving, in my mind, over Skyrim. Not done, of course, but so far, so good.

I have no objection as long as the dialogue is good. Those dialogue in fallout 4 is terribly bad and bland.

Yeah. . . I keep hearing that. And from what I can see on the let's play videos that seem right. And that is just the tip of the iceburg, a watered down levelling system, a lack of repairs/maintenance on armor/weapons, horrible graphics, and more bugs than the Amazon Jungle also top the list of problems.

"Push X to execute critical hit", that turned me offf right away, good thing too. I sure am glad I never bought that game.

Yeah. . . I keep hearing that. And from what I can see on the let's play videos that seem right. And that is just the tip of the iceburg, a watered down levelling system, a lack of repairs/maintenance on armor/weapons, horrible graphics, and more bugs than the Amazon Jungle also top the list of problems.

"Push X to execute critical hit", that turned me off right away, good thing too. I sure am glad I never bought that game.

Yeah I hate to say it but the game definitely does have problems.

I love Brian T. Delaney and Courtney Taylor as the main characters but everyone is kinda bland (except maybe companions)

It just pisses me off though so much that this game isn't a good RPG.:(

Bethesda is renown for releasing bug-ridden games.
But to their credit they fix most of them in 3-6 months. And what they don't fix the modding community does.

I'm afraid that just like Dragons Age: Inquisition it seems they turned a decent RPG into yet another shooter with minimal RPG elements.
*sigh*

I think the game is fine for the most part.

I mean I wish the conversation options where bigger, and I would have prefered if the SPECIAL-, Perks-, and leveling-systems where not so... "none important" in a way... as in you don't have to worry to much about picking the wrong stats at the start, and later on perks, and what not in FO4... because with just a bit of leveling you can correct your mistakes and keep playing with your current character (although, on one side it is a bit nice not feeling like you have/want to start over because you built your character wrong... but that's a minor plus really).

Due to the way FO4's character system works, the SPECIAL and perks and what not, this is the first Fallout game, and close to the first time since... oh probably 15 years ago... where I have not played a character with 10 in Agility from the start. I realized instantly how importent Agility was to how many action points you had to have when I first played FO1 so long ago, that I have never finished the games with any other kind of character then one with AG 10 and mainly being a sniper. I mean I have tried other builds, but those never got anywhere really, and at most a few hours into the game I would delete them and restart with an AG 10 sniper character again.

So I guess that is possibly a good thing to a degree really... that I did not feel a need to make a character with AG 10... but at the same time the system, as I said befor, does not really make it feel like there are consequences of building your character a certain way at the start.

But again, it's fine... FO4 is a pretty good game in general, and I am enjoying my time with it. It's not perfect by any means... but few things are... and as much as I like FO1 and 2, and as importent those two games are to me when it comes to my transition from being mainly a console gamer to mainly being a PC gamer... it's not like I thought they where perfect either, just more so then FO4 is.

The only thing in FO4 which has really bugged me though, the one thing which I felt a need I had to turn to a mod to fix... was the VATS system... and the part I did not like about it was that it was slow motion rather than full stop pause. I like to use VATS, and I use VATS A LOT, always have ever since FO3 when Bethesda introduced this version of VATS, and I always will... I like the ability to plan out my moves, plan out how to deal with a situation, and plan out who, and where on them, I am shooting. And for me the default speed of the VATS slow motion is a bit to fast for my liking to do those things.

So, I started looking for a mod for that pretty early on, and a few days ago one surfaced on Nexus (where else would it have really, I mean Nexus is everywhere XD ). It's name is "Classic V.A.T.S.", and it does seemingly compleatly pause VATS. Under the same mod there is also other versions available, with other speeds of VATS, most of them slower, but a few faster... including a "real time" one, where time is not slowed down at all in VATS for the ones who want to try that (good luck with that). XD The only downside really is that with the ones I have tried so far (pause, 5, 10 and 25% of the default VATS speed), the opponents sort of twitches where they stand or slowly move, and that it can potentually have some strange effects on the physics in the game when used... and I guess there might be unknown consequences of it as well (we will know soon enough). But, it's worth it to me to take that risk.

The only thing i have not decided yet though is which speed I am going to use, pause, or the 25% of VATS speed one... because the thing I liked about slow mo VATS was that I could cue up my actions and then just wait til the right moment to release the Kraken (hmm... maybe I should name my sniper rifle that, "The Kraken" XD ... although, I don't use the sniper rifle that often in VATS, I still like the name though, sounds like your cracking open something, and sniper rifles are good at that usually... XD ). 5% speed was to slow, at first I thought they where still standing still, but they where not, they where just moving really really slow... and 10% was more noticable in movement, but would still be to slow for most cases where you would want time to progress waiting for the perfect moment. So if I do go with a slow mo it will probably be 25%. Optimally I would like a VATS mod which you could controll the speed of by pressing the + and - sights on the numbers pad or something.

My character is currently only lvl 11, I am not that far into the main story (not even been to Diamond City yet), even though I have already played the game for a bit under 43 hours (if that is what the timer on your save files means... 1 day, 18 hours, and 41 minutes... usually rpg games shows you the hour and minute amount only, so I am a bit uncertain if Bethesda decided to do it differently, or if it represents something else in the game). And here below are two images of what my character looks like, his main equipment, and the equipment of the companion I recently decided to take with me instead of Dogmeat, Preston Garvey.

Large images.
My character just befor I accepting his look and starting to play. I decided to change his wifes look as well, as should be obvious by the screenshot. XD A note about his looks... a lot of characters that I make in games which allow you to control a lot about their looks, tend to end up looking simmilar to this. This guy looks simmilar to my guys i both Dragon Age Origins, and Skyrim, FO3 and NV... and I asume simmilar to what I might have created in Oblivion.

And here my character and Preston are, both are sporting Sniper Rifles, clearly. I dont always let Preston use his often though, since he uses up the ammunition for it very fast (it is supposed to be infinite if you give them 1 bullet, but I dont know if there is a bug or if people are miss informed about it), and 308 ammo can be a bit scarce, so I let him use his default weapon most of the time, and then stick his sniper rifle in his hands when I know I am about to get into a dangerous long range fight... like here where I have just kicked a camp of Super Mutants arses by sniping them from a far. :D I should get him a close range weapon to, but I have not decided yet on what I will give him, I will fix that after I clear out the building I am standing infront of in the picture though.

Forum veteran
My character:

I hated the male voice actor, so I decided to play through the game as an evil femme fatale serial killer. Case in point: I got into the Brotherhood of Steel, only to realize that I really, really liked one leader dude's hat and the other leader dude's jacket. A couple silenced pistol headshots later, I was rocking both like a boss:

I have to say, I hated this game at first. Terrible as a Fallout game, terrible as a straight-up shooter (so many invisible barriers blocking shots), terrible as an RPG because there's really nothing of substance there and the perks system is lame compared to the systems in earlier games. It eventually became quite fun despite its many, many flaws, though, and the writing is definitely better than Bethesda's usual output (though only in the middle of the game—the beginning and end are predictable and heavy-handed, and the beginning doesn't even make any sense when you stop to think about it).

If you piss off a follower enough with sarcasm or just general murder and mayhem, they won't even let you talk to them anymore, much less follow you. Codsworth now gives me generic dialogue about how I'm terrible after some murder and rude dialogue choices caused him to abandon me.

Top Bottom