Feedback on monsters as a faction

+
Feedback on monsters as a faction

To start, a little background: I played them extensievely,lvl 45 almost entirely with that faction. I was rank 11 before the Nilfgaard patch.
Firstly - the good part. Faction is fairly newbie friendly, there are 2 really good epic golds and its base units are rather effective. Having 2 really distinct playstyles within 1 faction is an added bonus.
Now, the bad part. Faction doesnt really have much, if anything, in terms of interesting mechanics. Basicly it has only Old Speartip and Nithral above the usual "+ - N power swing". There is also Caretaker, but hes gold. You either go for big numbers with consume, or for weather immunity. Regardless of what you pick, you end up with a fairly straightforward numbers game. Another trouble is consistency. Faction does have severe troubles with deck thinning, pretty much only way to do so is by playing rally units. and those make mulligan painfull. After that you have pretty much no use for ADC (simply because your strongest units are bronze), KoB doesnt give you anything interesting either (well, unless you count hags as interesting... i dont), and no leader or faction cards capable of card pull.(allright, there is Toad, but thats that)
Last patches changed quite alot, first both weather control and consume were sent to god-tier decks, then hotfixed.
I wont go into balance too much, its not the point. Point is - both playstyles are plainly boring, ranging from hypnotizing weather to lethargy-infusing consume. Making a bruteforce faction out of monsters sounds reasonable, but in the end it creates a faction that becomes a nightmare for newbies and lacks flexibility and consistency for top rank play.
Some argue that a competetive deck isnt supposed to be fun (Looking at control Radovid), and perhaps its true. But you cant even make a proper meme deck with monsters. I mean, ive made a NG Letho betrayal deck for lulz:https://goo.gl/iaGWF1 . And at the moment it outperforms pretty much any Wild Hunt deck i was able to come up with (currently climbing to rank 14).
And it is actually really disappointing, It turns out there are fun mechanics in game, moreover, they even to some extend work! Whats worse, Monsters simply dont have tools to make any shenanigans happen. There has been alot of talk about NR and how they need rework. I sencerely hope that CD project will do the same for monsters, at least outside of consume archtype. Not because they are weak, but because we want to have fun as well. EredinWaiting.jpg

Top Bottom