Forced Sharpening in 1.04?

+
We tried that, sadly it didn't help. You can try changing some of these yourself, but I don't have time to try all of these parameters.

[DLSS]
Enable = false
EnableMirrorScaling = true
MirrorScaling = -1.000000
Quality = 2
Sharpness = 0.000000

What's it?
Post automatically merged:

I can not.I don't have access to the game I'm at work for another week
Post automatically merged:

good people please experiment with these settings

Last edited:
Honeslty i gave up, i tried so many things and nothing worked. I will try to play in a few month and if nothing change then i will wait until i get a better computer... ( i have a 1080 ti )

It's all about the balance. You can't just simply delete all that blur with sharpening. If you set sharpening to 40%+ you get an obscene amount of noise/grain and saturation. This looks worse than blur. So the image should be sharpened a little, but it's best to either implement a slider in the settings, or let us use Nvidia's or AMD's drivers to set sharpness as we like. They both have that option in the drivers, so there was no need for them to do anything about it at all.
Here, there is no blur on the left (original texture made by designers at CDPR how it was intended to be seen), but there is a heavy sharpening happening on the right which does not add any new details, it just makes them stronger (in that case, it makes them TOO strong to the point of not being readable).

Ohhh yeah. That's definitely the typical artifacts caused by excessive sharpening. Especially when so many other things are causing various levels of blur and noise like DLSS. I think it was hard for me to notice because of the res I play at (3840x1600) and the fact I wasn't looking close enough while trying to find ways to improve performance and visual clarity.

I just think this is a colloaborative attempt at destroying 1080p. I'm on the verge of giving up. 1080p simply doesn't look good in games anymore. I guess I played at the wrong horse by picking a good gpu and 1080p monitor. Ugh... I don't even think 1440p will survive this slaughter. Its not that far away from 1080p, and its definetely a long fall from 1440p. Its either 4k or bust now. And funny thing is, native 4k also seem to be out of reach with ray tracing now.

Damn TAA and all the necessities it brings. Just, damn.

I played countless other AAA titles with clear as hell at 1080p. Now I'm being locked out of at least subpar quality. This thing looks like 540p at 1080p, and extra insult was the sharpness filter. I just dont want your damn FILTER. Even Rockstar gave a TAA slider which works fine at %20-25 levels. Just give a damn slider. Set it at %200 at auto if you want. At least let us people close or lessen it.

It cannot be too hard. Is no CDPR employee or developer checking or seeing this thread? No one at all??

I just... no words.

Is no CDPR employee or developer checking or seeing this thread? No one at all??
I guess no one, so we should report it to CDPR support (though I didn't receive any answers, even though I reported it in 2 different languages).

Yeah, we gotta bump the thread unless someone from their dev team notices this bug, mistake, or "feature" they're forcing upon people.

I just think this is a colloaborative attempt at destroying 1080p. I'm on the verge of giving up. 1080p simply doesn't look good in games anymore. I guess I played at the wrong horse by picking a good gpu and 1080p monitor. Ugh... I don't even think 1440p will survive this slaughter. Its not that far away from 1080p, and its definetely a long fall from 1440p. Its either 4k or bust now. And funny thing is, native 4k also seem to be out of reach with ray tracing now.

Damn TAA and all the necessities it brings. Just, damn.

I played countless other AAA titles with clear as hell at 1080p. Now I'm being locked out of at least subpar quality. This thing looks like 540p at 1080p, and extra insult was the sharpness filter. I just dont want your damn FILTER. Even Rockstar gave a TAA slider which works fine at %20-25 levels. Just give a damn slider. Set it at %200 at auto if you want. At least let us people close or lessen it.

It cannot be too hard. Is no CDPR employee or developer checking or seeing this thread? No one at all??

I just... no words.

1080p is still the preferred res for professional gamers in E-sports titles. A lot of them don't like 27" panels, so it's hard for them to move up to 1440p. And 1440p is harder to push 240-360 FPS even with a RTX 3090 still, so that's not quite ready to replace it. That's why I invested in a 38" Ultrawide 3840x1600 and a 27" 1440p 240hz. Both with HDR600, both with G-Sync Ultimate modules. Allows me to cover all bases. Awesome immersion and ridiculously high DSR resolutions with the Ultrawide for single player experiences. For games where Ultrawide is too much of a performance hit, I have my 1440p that I can run at 240hz 8-bit dithered or 144hz 12-bit HDR and DSR up to 4K. If 4K is too much, then I just use my native Ultrawide for an in-between 1440p / 4K. Lots of options with my setup.

1080p has until Hopper or the Nvidia generation after that. Depending how much performance gains Hopper provides.

Bro, we're talking in different dimensions. I'd like you to try "Red Dead Redemption 2" game at 1080p resolution. I'm talkking about RENDERING resolution here. not necessarily monitor's resolution.

that game looks "horrible" with 1080p rendering. plain, simple "horrible". and it looks stellar, nextgen like, amazing good fidelity at 4K.

up to 2019, increasing resolution didnt matter at all, for games. i could count lots of games where it barely mattered.

But now, almost every game released in 2019 2020 looks horrible, blurry, vaseline smeared at 1080p. I'm talking about games where fidelity matters, like Cyberpunk, RDR 2, and such. These games look horrible at 1080p and no one can deny against that. This sharpen filter only makes the situation worse.

It can be competetive resolution for high framerate competitive games, but i dont care about getting 125125 fps at 1080p in this game. I just want good quality, 35-45 fps and nice, sharp looking game! But its not possible anymore.

If you want to experience these new generation games with acceptable fidelity, 1080p is not an answer anymore.

I have nothing against that!! It can happen. Its an entirely different beast and matter. Its a different topic that I can rant on for hours. I accepted the vaseline smeared, blurred, smudgy looking games at 1080p. What's worse is, these CDPR developers tought a simple post process, instagram sharpener filter COULD solve this issue. It just CANT. it MAKES it worse. they think they did a beneficial thing for users by applying an ugly, instagram-like, post process OVERSHARPEN filter. Well, it does not work like that! It might look better on singular screenshots or in certain textures, but it makes the game weird, pixelated hairs, overexposured character faces, weird looking distances and SO on. It just pains my eyes to look at the game rn. 1.03 was perfect [...]. Just give us a SHARPEN slider.

Last edited by a moderator:
well... im playing it at 1080p right now, and its looking good, i played RDR2 in 1080p as well on ultra quality and it looked pretty good to me...

and yes i talked to a support guy, and sent him this thread link.. this was the last time we talked on thursday

but to be honest.. i dont think a AA selection button or a sharpening slider will appear.. at least not this year.

Bro, we're talking in different dimensions. I'd like you to try "Red Dead Redemption 2" game at 1080p resolution. I'm talkking about RENDERING resolution here. not necessarily monitor's resolution.

that game looks "horrible" with 1080p rendering. plain, simple "horrible". and it looks stellar, nextgen like, amazing good fidelity at 4K.

up to 2019, increasing resolution didnt matter at all, for games. i could count lots of games where it barely mattered.

But now, almost every game released in 2019 2020 looks horrible, blurry, vaseline smeared at 1080p. I'm talking about games where fidelity matters, like Cyberpunk, RDR 2, and such. These games look horrible at 1080p and no one can deny against that. This sharpen filter only makes the situation worse.

It can be competetive resolution for high framerate competitive games, but i dont care about getting 125125 fps at 1080p in this game. I just want good quality, 35-45 fps and nice, sharp looking game! But its not possible anymore.

If you want to experience these new generation games with acceptable fidelity, 1080p is not an answer anymore.

I have nothing against that!! It can happen. Its an entirely different beast and matter. Its a different topic that I can rant on for hours. I accepted the vaseline smeared, blurred, smudgy looking games at 1080p. What's worse is, these CDPR developers tought a simple post process, instagram sharpener filter COULD solve this issue. It just CANT. it MAKES it worse. they think they did a beneficial thing for users by applying an ugly, instagram-like, post process OVERSHARPEN filter. Well, it does not work like that! It might look better on singular screenshots or in certain textures, but it makes the game weird, pixelated hairs, overexposured character faces, weird looking distances and SO on. It just pains my eyes to look at the game rn. 1.03 was perfect [...]. Just give us a SHARPEN slider.
Straight facts , I came to the same conclusion after played RDR2 on 1080p it was horrible not just blurry image, they made objects in a short distance to be distorted, thats how TAA worked there, simply increasing render to 1.25 solved this crap back then.....
Same thing happend to CoD MW 2019 they've butchered rendering after patch few months ago and everything became blurry... there was some complaints on reddit but it seems devs doesn't care.

Looks like some kind of "conspiracy" to promoting 1440p and 4k res
TXAA - TAA nvidias tec and introduced back in 2013 but they never implemented it like this before.

Straight facts , I came to the same conclusion after played RDR2 on 1080p it was horrible not just blurry image, they made objects in a short distance to be distorted, thats how TAA worked there, simply increasing render to 1.25 solved this crap back then.....
Same, I bought 1660 super this year and I think it's the best 1080p card right now for it's insanely low price, but goddamn, no one told me that every new game must be played at 1440p or 4K to be enjoyable.
I was ok with that in RDR2, since it's a console port and plays great with a gamepad, so 30 fps locked with 1.5x resolution is absolutely fine, but I though that was just an exception, not the new rule.

Same thing happend to CoD MW 2019 they've butchered rendering after patch few months ago and everything became blurry... there was some complaints on reddit but it seems devs doesn't care.

Looks like some kind of "conspiracy" to promoting 1440p and 4k res
TXAA - TAA nvidias tec and introduced back in 2013 but they never implemented it like this before.
These GPUs are way overpowered for 1080p. There was no way they would keep 1080p a good and competetive resolution. People would literally not buy GPUs for even more years. I can see what they're trying to do. But some people will refuse to believe this. This is literally a delibarete attempt, in colloraboration with GPU manufacturers. I don't care if others believe or not, if they call bullshit or not. This is a fact for me. No one can prove or make me believe otherwise, when I played Metro Exodus, Shadow of Tomb Raider in crystal clear quality at 1080p and with "TAA". Why? Because they had a way to make it "sharp and crystal clear" at 1080p. Now that they're pushing these new RTX and RX cards, and of course the "4k" "1440p"

Let me say, I have no beef with 1440p or 4k, okay? They can be necessity with bigger screens. You have a huge 40+ inch screen, well, 1080p will look pixelated and you can count pixels. That's where you need a 4K screen. And rightfully so, 4K rendering. You have 27-32 inch monitor? 1440p is your best bet.

But I have a 24 inch screen. I'm happy with it. It does not look pixelated, or I cant count pixels at all. It displays METRO EXODUS and SHADOW OF TOMB RAIDER in crystal clear. I watch tons of movies, series from Netflix and they all look STELLAR.

Now all of a sudden, these two big AAA games; Cyberpunk and RDR2 tells me that my rendering res is not enough and look like crap. I tune up to 1.5x resolution and voila, game becames clear as sharp. And of course, my gpu chokes and my FPS gets destroyed.

What gives?

Here's a hard fact conspiracy for you.

AC Odyssey. Clear as a day. Sharp. Using TAA. Played it in 1080p. Sharp image. Just sharp. Just fine. Resolution scale, up to %200, no difference AT ALL. Why? Because they used some magic to make it look good at 1080p.

AC Valhalla. All of a sudden, 1080p is blurry shit again. Weird, eh? Use %150 resolution and voila. "Game" looks like what it was supposed to like if it was released in "2018". Weird, huh?

I can see where this is coming and where this is going. I resent at the people who buys Series S, because they will met with same attitude.

I hope someone manages to find that little hack that helps TAA look better at 1080p. I KNOW it's there. I KNOW it's possible. I KNOW THEY CAN DO IT. Becase, they DID it before. They straight up delibaretly holding that secret tweak that helps TAA. Either it's aconfiguration, or strenght slider, or whatever it is.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks STELLAR at 1080p, look sharp. Using TAA. It's probably to help PS4 players play at a good image quality. At least they cared about they users.

Hey, did I mention that RDR2's PS4 version uses a tweaked TAA where it has no vaseline smeared effect like on PC? Oh yeah, don't even quote me on that. You cannot find a single base PS4 player that will complain about game being blurry. Why? Because it's not. I myself played it in PS4. There was not a "heavy blur vaseline effect". It looked very sharp.

PC version and you will see literally thousands of topics that discusses the TAA and how it looks bad at 1080p.

Let me say, I have no beef with 1440p or 4k, okay? They can be necessity with bigger screens. You have a huge 40+ inch screen, well, 1080p will look pixelated and you can count pixels. That's where you need a 4K screen. And rightfully so, 4K rendering. You have 27-32 inch monitor? 1440p is your best bet.
Don't forget insanely bad Windows image scaling, which makes everything non pixel-perfect.

These GPUs are way overpowered for 1080p. There was no way they would keep 1080p a good and competetive resolution. People would literally not buy GPUs for even more years. I can see what they're trying to do. But some people will refuse to believe this. This is literally a delibarete attempt, in colloraboration with GPU manufacturers. I don't care if others believe or not, if they call bullshit or not. This is a fact for me. No one can prove or make me believe otherwise, when I played Metro Exodus, Shadow of Tomb Raider in crystal clear quality at 1080p and with "TAA". Why? Because they had a way to make it "sharp and crystal clear" at 1080p. Now that they're pushing these new RTX and RX cards, and of course the "4k" "1440p"

But I have a 24 inch screen. I'm happy with it. It does not look pixelated, or I cant count pixels at all. It displays METRO EXODUS and SHADOW OF TOMB RAIDER in crystal clear. I watch tons of movies, series from Netflix and they all look STELLAR.

Now all of a sudden, these two big AAA games; Cyberpunk and RDR2 tells me that my rendering res is not enough and look like crap. I tune up to 1.5x resolution and voila, game becames clear as sharp. And of course, my gpu chokes and my FPS gets destroyed.

What gives?

Here's a hard fact conspiracy for you.

AC Odyssey. Clear as a day. Sharp. Using TAA. Played it in 1080p. Sharp image. Just sharp. Just fine. Resolution scale, up to %200, no difference AT ALL. Why? Because they used some magic to make it look good at 1080p.

AC Valhalla. All of a sudden, 1080p is blurry shit again. Weird, eh? Use %150 resolution and voila. "Game" looks like what it was supposed to like if it was released in "2018". Weird, huh?

I can see where this is coming and where this is going. I resent at the people who buys Series S, because they will met with same attitude.

I hope someone manages to find that little hack that helps TAA look better at 1080p. I KNOW it's there. I KNOW it's possible. I KNOW THEY CAN DO IT. Becase, they DID it before. They straight up delibaretly holding that secret tweak that helps TAA. Either it's aconfiguration, or strenght slider, or whatever it is.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks STELLAR at 1080p, look sharp. Using TAA. It's probably to help PS4 players play at a good image quality. At least they cared about they users.

Hey, did I mention that RDR2's PS4 version uses a tweaked TAA where it has no vaseline smeared effect like on PC? Oh yeah, don't even quote me on that. You cannot find a single base PS4 player that will complain about game being blurry. Why? Because it's not. I myself played it in PS4. There was not a "heavy blur vaseline effect". It looked very sharp.

PC version and you will see literally thousands of topics that discusses the TAA and how it looks bad at 1080p.
True. I noticed that too.
But it seems a lot people don't see this crappy TAA or not paying attention.

I'm not sure if it's closely related to this issue, but it seems that turning colors precision to high helps to smooth out a little bit over-sharpened details on skins, eyebrows... V's hands, especially. Take a look at the screenshots.

I'm still on 1.04 with the lastest AMD drivers, if you're asking.

Just beware that it takes 2-5 fps.

Attachments

• barmanhighcolors.png
    barmanhighcolors.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 109
  • barmanmediumcolors.png
    barmanmediumcolors.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 106
  • handshighcolors.png
    handshighcolors.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 107
  • handsmediumcolors.png