Fov

+
LicaonKter said:
Is the field of view different with each aspect ratio in THIS GAME or not?

No, it's exactly the same. FOV decides how is 3d pespective constructed, aspect ratio decides what is the shape of a plane (screen) this perspective is projected to.
To see it better, force FOV to some higher value - 90 or 120 - your Witcher game will resemble Quake and you will be getting fisheye view - image will appear distorted. Yes, it will look like you see wider than before but at a expense of skewed perspective (the higher fov, the worse it looks, yet the wider you see).
Also, if you set higher FOV and choose 16:9 instead of 16:10 aspect ratio, you will most likely still have black bars.

However it may be a workaround to zoom-out the camera (as the game regrettably lacks camera zoom in/out control).

LicaonKter said:
And I did test the aspect ratio switch in 2.0 and in my case for 1920x1200 ( 16:10 ) using a 16:9 aspect ratio in game ( as per Configurator setting ) would yield BLACK BARS ON TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN, so, I guess this is not fixed in any way, as we said before a FoV switch is needed.

Is 1920x1200 your monitor's native resolution? If it's 16:10, why on Earth do you choose 16:9 in game and not 16:10?
Yes, you wil get black bars because the other option is to have your image stretched. And it looks much worse than black bars. So in order not to have black bars.... choose exactly the same aspect ratio in game as your native monitor resolution.

How does it look like when you set Wither 2.0 aspect ratio to your monitor aspect ratio?
If there are no black bars, image is not stretched or skewed - then sorry, but widescreen implementation is perfect and the problem exists only in your head :)

I agree, if anything, game needs true zoom in/out, but that has nothing to do with aspect ratio or FOV (increasing FOV is a workaround as it makes perspective skewed). True zoom in/out = ability to change the distance between camera and Geralt (and it's as basic as it sounds).

I agree, if anything, The game needs options. (increasing FOV is a workaround as it makes perspective). True zoom in/out = ability to change the distance between camera and Geralt (and it's as basic as it sounds).

reavertm said:
No, it's exactly the same. FOV decides how is 3d pespective constructed, aspect ratio decides what is the shape of a plane (screen) this perspective is projected to.

Is 1920x1200 your monitor's native resolution? If it's 16:10, why on Earth do you choose 16:9 in game and not 16:10?
You don't get it...

The game was developed for 16:9 only and people with computer displays complained. Their bandaid fix was to ZOOM the viewport in order to make it fit aspect ratios with a higher vertical length. In the process you DO LOSE field of view, you see LESS then before even though the resolution did increase.

Moving/Zooming the camera out OR increasing the FOV accordingly would be possible countermeasures.

Maxx01 said:
I agree, if anything, game needs true zoom in/out, but that has nothing to do with aspect ratio or FOV (increasing FOV is a workaround as it makes perspective skewed). True zoom in/out = ability to change the distance between camera and Geralt (and it's as basic as it sounds).

zoom out option would be nice

The view is hardcoded for a reason, its better to request the reason from CDPR(so that you understand) than stage a coup against the current restrictions in FOV.

Chill with the zeal.. ;)

reavertm said:
To see it better, force FOV to some higher value - 90 or 120 -...
Well that's the problem this thread treats ( but does not solve actually ): YOU CAN'T USE ANOTHER FOV IN THE WITCHER 2 after patch 1.2

reavertm said:
your Witcher game will resemble Quake and you will be getting fisheye view - image will appear distorted. Yes, it will look like you see wider than before but at a expense of skewed perspective (the higher fov, the worse it looks, yet the wider you see).
ok, true, but that's an exaggeration as most TW2 players with 5:4/4:3 just want a smaller FOV than that, like 75 ( as per 53 as the game defaults )

reavertm said:
Also, if you set higher FOV and choose 16:9 instead of 16:10 aspect ratio, you will most likely still have black bars.
If the game is programmed to do that, but the normal way is to fill those pixels with the game data, say feet and clouds and rocks and birds.

reavertm said:
However it may be a workaround to zoom-out the camera (as the game regrettably lacks camera zoom in/out control).
yep, you got the threads point just now ;)

reavertm said:
because maybe I thought/hoped the game will give me the 16:9 FOV instead :p

reavertm said:
Yes, you wil get black bars because the other option is to have your image stretched.
nope, why on earth would that be the option, just show me the REST of the game world, rock and rats below and clouds and birds above, this is a 3D engine FFS. and BTW, the hack that worked up to patch 1.2 did this right, here:

OMG the image is NOT SKEWD... whats up with that...must be magic!!!!!1111 :p

reavertm said:
How does it look like when you set Wither 2.0 aspect ratio to your monitor aspect ratio?
like it's a different FOV than 16:9, what question is this?

LicaonKter said:
Well that's the problem this thread treats ( but does not solve actually ): YOU CAN'T USE ANOTHER FOV IN THE WITCHER 2 after patch 1.2

Well, that's a bummer and unnecessary annoyance.

LicaonKter said:
If the game is programmed to do that, but the normal way is to fill those pixels with the game data, say feet and clouds and rocks and birds.

Yes, but only if the game renders using correct aspect ratio for given target resolution *and* selected resolution aspect ratio matches monitor's aspect ratio (that's not always the case, screen will be stretched in such case). As you see there are many factors here.

LicaonKter said:
because maybe I thought/hoped the game will give me the 16:9 FOV instead :p

And it was you who said nobody here confuses FOV with aspect ratio...
I hereby give up.

LicaonKter said:
nope, why on earth would that be the option, just show me the REST of the game world, rock and rats below and clouds and birds above, this is a 3D engine FFS. and BTW, the hack that worked up to patch 1.2 did this right, here:

I explained completely different case - if image is rendered to framebuffer with 16:9 aspect ratio and YOU force it to be shown in monitor resolution of aspect ratio 16:10, then there are two options:
- black bars (to keep image proportions and adapt to target aspect ratio)
- stretched image (to fill whole available screen ignoring proportions at all)
"The rest of the world, rocks rats and birds" will be rendered and shown properly only when framebuffer aspect ratio is exactly the same as monitor aspect ratio and developers chose to 'extend' the view rather than to 'crop it'.
Witcher devs decided to crop it for you (5:4/4:3) because you're the minority (also read paragraph below).

LicaonKter said:

OMG the image is NOT SKEWD... whats up with that...must be magic!!!!!1111 :p

No, it's just properly implemented widescreen.
So you've got 5:4 monitor, you're using your native (aspect ratio-wise) resolution: 1280x1024 and because the game was written in 16:9 in mind (16:9 being reference resolution as to decide what game viewport to show), as a comparison to 16:9, your view is cropped horizontally (patch 1.3) instead of extended vertically (patch-1.0-1.2+flawlesswidescreenfix) or 'emulated reference 16:9' by the means of black bars (patch 1.0-1.2).
And you're complaining, that developers didn't let you benefit from higher screen, but rather punished you for having narrow one. That's a valid complain of course.
Yet it has nothing to do with FOV however which everyone consistently brings to the topic.
While it's valid complain, it is also just a matter of developers' choice: patch 1.0-1.2 shows you what 16:9 users really see. And as you see in 16:9 Geralt legs are cut in half if camera points straight ahead - and that's developers' choice.
While this horizontal cropping is unfair to you it's still PROPER implementation of widescreen as original proportions and FOV are left INTACT.
It's just devs decided you have "narrower screen rather than higher". You get the difference.
Also, if they let 5:4/4:3 user have extended verticals (comparing to 16:9), 16:9/16:10 users (majority) would now scream "Hey there are more of us, why do we have inferior, vertically cropped view compared to 5:4 minority? That's unfair!!!11oneone" :p

One canoot please everyone. Zoom-able camera (not FOV hack) would please everyone however.

LicaonKter said:
like it's a different FOV than 16:9, what question is this?

*must*fight*the*urge*to*comment*on*this*confusion*again*

I wouldn't bother with my aspectratio/FOV tirade if you people *really* knew what to request from developers :p

regards

reavertm said:
Yes, but only if the game renders using correct aspect ratio for given target resolution *and* selected resolution aspect ratio matches monitor's aspect ratio (that's not always the case, screen will be stretched in such case). As you see there are many factors here.
on very wide resolutions yes, on 5:4/5:3 not really

reavertm said:
And it was you who said nobody here confuses FOV with aspect ratio...
I hereby give up.
*must*fight*the*urge*to*comment*on*this*confusion*again*
I wouldn't bother with my aspectratio/FOV tirade if you people *really* knew what to request from developers :p
YOU PEOPLE should read in the whole context, I hoped were like minded persons, but looks like it's not the case

let me rephrase again, FFS

"because maybe I thought/hoped the game will give me the 16:9 FOV instead"
should readas
"because maybe I thought/hoped the game will give me the SAME FOV USED FOR 16:9 RESOLUTIONS BUT USING MY 16:10 RESOLUTION instead AND FILLING THE REST OF THE SCREEN ( above and below ) WITH THE WORLD AND NOT BLACK BARS"

and

"like it's a different FOV than 16:9, what question is this?"
should read as
"like it's a different FOV WHEN USING RESOLUTIONS WITH ASPECT 16:10 than WHEN USING RESOLUTIONS WITH A 16:9 ASPECT, what question is this?"

reavertm said:
No, it's just properly implemented widescreen.
One canoot please everyone. Zoom-able camera (not FOV hack) would please everyone however.
yep, it's HOR+, it's proper

LicaonKter said:
on very wide resolutions yes, on 5:4/5:3 not really

YOU PEOPLE should read in the whole context, I hoped were like minded persons, but looks like it's not the case

let me rephrase again, FFS

Well, sorry to pi** you off a little, but let me explain myself.
I'm software engineer and I try to use precise language to describe things. When going technical, I expect the same from others because sometimes the devil is in detail.
CDPR are software engineers as well and they may 'understand' more specific language better.
That being said, if there was still time (around 1.3) and someone here reported feature request or bug report regarding widescreen along the lines of "please fix the FOV for 5:4 minitors or at least add FOV slider on mouse wheel", the CDPR devs probably thought:

" - hmm, what the heck? we didn't change the FOV at all since 1.0. And FOV slider? That's silly. I think the guy is just confused, give him polite answer that we're not going to change the FOV of the game."

And they may have not recognized that what user really wanted is CONFIGURABLE CAMERA ZOOM (so something that's only remotely related to FOV and completely unrelated to monitor aspect ratio) - but he failed to word his request precisely.

So, please instead of relying on presence of 'minded' people in CDPR or on the forums, when talking about technicals - people should try to be as precise as possible (= talk technical).

LicaonKter said:
"like it's a different FOV than 16:9, what question is this?"
should read as
"like it's a different FOV WHEN USING RESOLUTIONS WITH ASPECT 16:10 than WHEN USING RESOLUTIONS WITH A 16:9 ASPECT, what question is this?"

Yes, that's much better, thank you :p
My original question was: "How does it look like when you set Wither 2.0 aspect ratio to your monitor aspect ratio?"

You answered "like it's a different FOV than with 16:9".
Given the definition of FOV - it would mean then your Witcher 2 in 16:10 is vertically shrinked comparing to 16:9 (higher FOV skewes perspective and somewhat shrinks the image).
But it's not shrinked - it's cropped (3d perspective remains the same, just the image looses left and right edges).
See? This is devil in detail I was refering to :p
(all this comes from the fact that we have completely different understanding of FOV, mine comes from 3d projection matrix - so 3d view creation, yours is more related to 3d view perception, if we were talking about photography maybe... but FOV in games is my FOV, sorry :p).

Maybe we could create some poll with 'please consider implementing TPP camera zoom in/out feature'. I'm afraid it's way too late already and they're barely considering any bugfixes at this stage, let alone features.

I just finished the Witcher 1 and installed the Witcher 2 expecting more brilliant gameplay as the first only to be immediately disgusted with how zoomed in I was, Geralt filled my entire screen and I felt claustrophobic!
I couldnt even see my feet like in the first.
I felt like a horse with blinders on.
This is a PC game?

I have a 16:10 1900x1200 monitor, don't play with a controller and detest console.
Ok, so then I try to scroll out to try and see the world around me and nope, no scroll, WTF?
The first one was great!, WHY WHY? Break something that works?
Now, maybe I'm wrong but I bought the witcher 2 on release, put it on my shelf till I finished the first one cause this was a pc game and I support devs like that, so you can imagine my distain at what I see when I fire up this game. I can't play it like this! FIX IT!
Give me back my scroll in and out!

God, I wish I could get my money back, I can't play a game like this, it makes me sick.
Also as a result, I will be cautious about any future purchases from CD Project.
DO YOU HEAR ME?

EDIT, ok now I now why this game screams "I'M A CRAPPY CONSOLE PORT" right away, I thought it was a PC exclusive title, great, consolitis has struck the Witcher, UGH. I want a refund.

Top Bottom