Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
Holy shit, this is going to hurt pro-gamer movement really bad.

Worse piece of journalism, I've ever seen.

Also Huffington Post is doing a segment tomorrow, Fox News also wants to make one apparently.

Holy shit, this is going to hurt pro-gamer movement really bad.

Worse piece of journalism, I've ever seen.

Also Huffington Post is doing a segment tomorrow, Fox News also wants to make one apparently.

They made a stupid move, now this will get a lot more coverage, the truth will out to more people and they will lose.

Nice move there, hahahahaha

But american journalism has always been this bad, not even a counter person to their argument.

Last edited:
I don't think the video's gonna do much harm really, not on MSNBC, lol, but even so, that video really pissed me off.

That was embarrassing, especially when the twit started playing psychologist at the end. God, he fits the stereotype too. Anyone think Fox might actually back GG given their political stance?

@slimgrin
I don't know, they're not exactly fans of games, given their track record. If they actually researched the issue? Definitely. But asking them to research anything, let alone on gaming is a bit much, aside from a couple of good reporters there.

Maybe if they got wind of the conservative claims about Sommers, even though she's not conservative really. Then there's Adam Baldwin.

edit: If they never get wind of GG, it'd likely be a blessing. I guarantee you, it would do Gamergate no favors. It's already dismissed as a conservative driven movement by outsiders. This would make it even more difficult to get rid of that claim.

Not that being a conservative driven movement is bad. Conservatism and libertarianism goes hand in hand. But most people don't know or care what either of those things really are.

Last edited:
Thanks to Brianna, Milo has had to cancel this week's ep of radio nero and it costed him money. What a bitch.

Forum veteran
I don't know, they're not exactly fans of games, given their track record. If they actually researched the issue? Definitely. But asking them to research anything, let alone on gaming is a bit much, aside from a couple of good reporters there.
I saw Milo tweet frequent Fox News contributor Michelle Malkin about GG awhile back, so it's well within the realm of possibility now that things are going mainstream.

I say bring it on. If non-game journalists want to use this issue to highlight their own bias and incompetence, then I'll be more than happy to demand reform out of them, as well. This whole thing may prove to be the trial by fire that separates the journalists who can actually be trusted to research and look at things objectively from the chaff who merely parrot things they've heard to score political points.

If gamer gate, who combats journalist corruption and bias starts getting championed by Fox, it'd be the most ironic thing in the world since the pres getting the Nobel peace prize.

I really don't want it. Don't care what Milo thinks on that one, I stand by it being a bad idea. They're just too partisan. If the sjws want to use the news media, let them. What else is new? Much like gaming journalists, they've become largely irrelevant as news sources lately thanks to places like twitter.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
It'd be a bad thing for sure, but at least the media wouldn't all be pushing the narrative that we're all horrible misogynistic monsters. I'm thinking they'd go overboard and end up showing their own corruption and bias in the process of defending us, effectively acting as a temporary shield that we can later throw onto the pyre with the rest of the corrupt journos.

Anyway, since we seem to be playing the "guilty by association" game lately:

Manichean.

So much ugliness.

EDIT because I have way more worse screenshots:

Apparently doxxing doesn't count when you don't like the person.

And that's still just the tip of the iceberg.

And still no articles about the harassment (almost identical to that received by Brianna Wu) one of the women on OUR side faced. Escapist apparently got in touch with her recently, but the lack of articles from other big-name sites like those that went up immediately in Brianna's case is incredibly telling.

Last edited:
It all comes down to what you want more.

Do you want to fight fire with fire simply to feel good about it all, or would you rather this movement continue to do some good? I don't think Fox would stop Gamergate's progression any more than MSNBC, even though of course, Fox actually gets viewers, lol. But I do think that'd be a good step to turning this officially into a right vs left thing, rather than a "people vs power" thing. Personally, I'd rather it not succumb to politics, even though the overtones are there.

It's a culture war but politics are bound to it. The SJW phenomena is a liberal one. If it goes mainstream, which I think it will, it'll be harder for the nut jobs to spew baseless accusations. Right now, there's precious little in the way of facts when they claim the industry is rampant with sexism and gamers are this or that. None of their arguments hold any water.

Forum veteran
Do you want to fight fire with fire simply to feel good about it all, or would you rather this movement continue to do some good?
Not everyone knows about Gamergate, and many would believe that it's a hate mob seeking only to crush the dreams and safety of females in the industry if the news told them so. If that completely ridiculous portrayal is allowed to cement rather than being challenged, how could we possibly end up doing anything good? It's not about feeling good or fighting fire with fire, but having an opposite force to challenge the one-sided claims so that people at least know that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Besides, having an opposing side means that both sides have to present actual evidence to back up their claims, and we have way more evidence on our side.

Plus it'd be hilarious watching Fox's mental gymnastics after all of those "violent games = violent people" stories.

Cementing the idea that gamergate hates women is exactly what Fox would help do. (Not saying they hate women :wink: talking about their rep) Like I said, they're too partisan, and they already have a bad rep that gamergate doesn't need to adopt by association. There's literally no point.

But it's not gonna happen anyway so there's no point arguing it.

It's a culture war but politics are bound to it. The SJW phenomena is a liberal one. If it goes mainstream, which I think it will, it'll be harder for the nut jobs to spew baseless accusations. Right now, there's precious little in the way of facts when they claim the industry is rampant with sexism and gamers are this or that. None of their arguments hold any water.

Haha if only that were actually true, lol. That's not how American politics work.

Last edited:

Precisely, what we are dealing with isn't simply a cadre of media hacks colluding with each other. This is a much wider issue that affects academia, mainstream non-game media and society as a whole.

In order to be successful against these totalitarian and puritanical church ladies will skrillex cuts we're gonna have to tackle them beyond gaming or else we're simply buying ourselves time before they regroup and go after gaming again.

I've been saying it was a liberal thing since I've entered this thread, not that anyone acknowledged it beyond with the occasional post delete. I know it needs to be addressed elsewhere, but Fox isn't one of the people you want addressing it unless its someone like Kelly Chambers. And that is assuming they'd even take any of it seriously. They haven't in the past.

Top Bottom