Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
With regards to Quinn, I will refer to her name and not Literally Who, makes her seem like she's similar to Voldemort and that's an insult to Riddle.

On another front, I saw that Verge attacking GamerGate just after Erik Kain made a call for dialogue enraged people. GamerGate at 60k tweets for today.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Costin Well, they should be enraged since GG wanted to start talking and here we go again with attacks. I'm little sorry for Erik too since he wants to convince them to another stream probably... I see long and hard road before him.

Forum veteran
The conversation in the spoiler tags is highly depressing. Click at your own peril.

Paragons of inclusivity and tolerance.

Well GaymerX might become irrelevant, thankfully. It was a ridiculous movement.

Still seeing it ripped to shreds by the social crusaders is quite telling.

The conversation in the spoiler tags is highly depressing. Click at your own peril.

Paragons of inclusivity and tolerance.

...[looks at the tweets]....

I had enough of this thread for today.

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like I want to punch someone in the face. But the difference between them and me: I don't engage in hate speech and I won't try to silence them. Sometimes tolerance can be difficult...

Oh my god, if you let in anyone with a different opinion than myself, then you're making this an unsafe environment! What about my feelings? My ego? Trigger warnings? What about my self-entitlement and my illusion of self-importance? WHAT ABOUT ME? CATER TO ME! ME ME ME!!!

:rofl: Lord this is pathetic.

I had no clue that anti gamer thing was this big. It's pathetic that some would devote their lives to spoiling the fun for others while their efforts would be better off directed elswhere. At bronies for example.

Has anyone checked out The Escapist over the last 24 hours? They've posted like 20 Gamergate-related articles, all around the same time. Mainly interviews. I've only just started to look at them, but it looks as though they're going to be good, and either balanced or fighting back against the general media output.

Also this: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/10/open-letter-feminists-gaming/ which contains one of my favourite quotes:
When you criticise a female character purely on the basis that you feel their design is too deliberately provocative, or their behaviour is too overtly sexual, what you’re saying is that there are distinct parameters within which a woman must fit to adhere to your strict concept of a ‘good woman’.

Edit: OK, I've read (and, after a while, "skimmed") the Escapist articles. Good series, trying for balance and calmness.

Edit #2: And there's also a new Erik Kain article, also pushing for fairness and balance.

Wow, three sites all on the same day? Clearly collusion. :)

Last edited:
Kain was raging when GamerGate was attacked after he made a call for dialogue. I saw that in his most recent article on the subject.

Kain was raging when GamerGate was attacked after he made a call for dialogue. I saw that in his most recent article on the subject.

I agree.
I think that it made him want to stand up as a spokesperson for the voice of reason and moderation.

Re that Teleseminar video: She's good, you have to admit that. She has those "socially conscious" busybodies eating out of her hand. Please save us from our soggy knees, Anita!

Polygon, what a joke. They have the same earnest self-righteousness as Vox does in general, saying they're going to elevate and educate while producing drivel.

Well GaymerX might become irrelevant, thankfully. It was a ridiculous movement.

Still seeing it ripped to shreds by the social crusaders is quite telling.
It was inevitable in such a politicized environment. Anything that's not oriented towards fun is going to tear itself apart. Fun is broad and tolerant, but social crusades attract the insecure who get off on hectoring and manipulating others. I admit I giggle over such things in the "new atheist" movement, too. They're all so earnest and self-important that when they turn such attitudes on each other, it gets silly right quick.

Socks update:

Someone please herd this independent thinking woman back into the fold, she's thinking outside the SJW box, and that is not acceptable.

The Verge etc. are still doing their darndest to capture the narrative, but they do seem to be sounding more and more desperate.

Top Bottom