Gameplay Changes Thread

+
Could you please add an opportunity to change camera mode? It would be cool to zoom camera in or out. I am not speaking about introducing a 1st person view, just zoom in or out in 3rd person view.

i'd love to see both the options expanded for the player and monster difficulty correspondingly tuned up.

IE, more ability slots for the player, more abilities for bosses/monsters as well.

right now fast attack/alchemy with light armor is an insanely strong combo, i'd love to see other gameplay styles that don't excessively hobble the player.

for instance: crossbow right now is useless-- most they do is bring down annoying flying sirens/harpies where your melee can finish it. the only bomb that seems to be worth using is northern wind.

strong attacks take too long to wind up and too long to recharge, especially against packs.

the "standalone" perks are largely worthless, except of course the armor ones ("school of the cat", etc).

medium/heavy armor should be accordingly buffed as well, along with the almost useless runemaster. only decent runes are severance and preservation, and none of the armor runes seem to be better than just rocking 3 greater quen gylphs instead.

I wasnt sure where to post this suggestion, its a suggestion that has been made before i am certain so its not unique but i wanted to give my thoughts on the topic and figured this was the best sub post to do it.

Character progression is important, personally it is one of if not the most important things even in a single player game. With Blood and Wine on the horizon I have a concern, I have no doubt that Blood and Wine will be amazing, but after Blood and Wine what is there? By the point you finish Blood and Wine everything else will be irrelevant assuming it increases level cap and is higher level content than Heart of Stones. The easiest and I think best solution is to add newgame++ with Blood and Wine. I love the Witcher 3 it honestly has captivated me more than I ever thought it would the witcher 3 is without a doubt the best individual game I have ever played. So I WANT to play it more, but people need a ladder to climb, a reason to keep going, the whole thing that has kept me going in my 170 hours of gameplay now is whats next. But as I near the end of my newgame+ death march play through I worry about what happens after Blood and Wine releases and I complete all the content there, would I start over on a fresh level 1 character? Possibly but being able to keep and improve my progress even if it is only artificial through another newgame+ just adding more Damage/Health its at least something.

Also I would love to see a difficulty added above Death March, perhaps this would be difficult to do and wouldnt be worth the time given it would benefit a very small fraction of the player base. But I love this game, and extra challenge gives me something to strive for and a reason to play.

I just want the ability to control how fast I walk again. I'm sick of being stuck at the fastest pace. I love everything about this game except for the removal of the slower walk speeds (outside) with patch 1.07. I really did try to give it a chance, but I just hate not having the freedom to walk slow when I want to. I never realized how much I cared about analog speed control, probably because this has never happened before, a developer removing all but one walk speed from their game well after everyone had already been playing it. Patch 1.07 introduced an alternate movement option with tighter turning, while at the same time completely removing the option to control how fast you can walk. WTF?! They said it's because of the transition from slow walking to stopping. Instead of fixing the transition (which btw didn't need it), they removed our ability to choose how fast we walk. Genius.

Last edited:
DEVS: I want an explanation for the awful combat

Moderators: This is not feedback, nor is it a suggestion, nor anything else that needs to be moved or merged into another thread. Just don't do it!

I want an answer for the mess that is combat in witcher 3.

- Why is the camera angles so shitty, that I cannot see what is going on?
- Why can geralt not step around or over obstructions that are less than 20 cm big?
- Why can I not decide which enemy I want to attack? At least give me visual indication of who geralt intends to attack?

This game is so mind boggling frustrating that I simply do not understand how any sane developer/playtester could release this shit. Please explain to me your reasoning with regard to the above three problems. I already gave you my money, I think I deserve at least an answer.

- Why is the camera angles so shitty, that I cannot see what is going on?
- Why can geralt not step around or over obstructions that are less than 20 cm big?
- Why can I not decide which enemy I want to attack? At least give me visual indication of who geralt intends to attack?

Sounds like a rant but anyway:

- Never had any problems with that, maybe start positioning your camera at the desired angle when fighting?
- That's a collosal exaggeration. Sure, there are places you can get stuck in, but they're few and far between. Can be frustrating, I agree, but it's managable. No need to blow your gasket because of that.
- Again, never had a problem with that, again aim your blows. A health bar apears over the enemy you're aiming at.

Last edited:
-keep out of tight spots so the camera is high.

-this problem can be partially fixed with a mod on nexus which allows you to sheath sword and enter/exit combat state at will. The only other thing you can do is stay away from ledges and such, which is fairly easy.

-I used to think the targeting had issues, but once I got used to integrating where Geralt is facing and his proximity to enemies, it's no longer a problem. It just takes some time to get used to and it very much has its own feel.

The first two issues you mention are indeed problems I hope they fix. Not huge problems, but it's clear they weren't able to flesh out Geralt's non-combat movement well enough. I'm playing Dragon's Dogma right now and Capcom has this dialed in better than any other third person game I've played. Kinda hoping the devs look to that title for inspiration.

Last edited:
- I wonder if the problem with that is you, cause the camera is free, if you feel like it doesn't work, it's most likely cause you're not being able to manage it well.

- That is a legit one.

- As mentioned above, you just need to aim at who you wanna hit, and his health bar will appear. Geralt will attack towards his direction. Dunno what your problem is, it's very simple and intuitive.

All in all, it seems less of a game problem and more an issue of yours. Witcher 3's combat is fine.

- Again, never had a problem with that, again aim your blows. A health bar apears over the enemy you're aiming at.
Aim without aiming ;)

Anyway, aim is an issue sometimes in this game. When there is flock of enemies, Geralt can jump all over the place, however to me the biggest problem is going out of fighting stance and borderline r3tarded fistfight with monsters, because one of the best Witchers feels like a bad enough dude to fist monsters to death. And the need of 2-7 presses to finally get that damn sword is annoying.

Aim without aiming ;)
Oh, god... If you can't recognize a distinct aiming hint the game throws at you... Well, that's not the game's problem. As stated, a health bar appears over an enemy you're aiming at.

Just one thing to add, I used to have problems with Geralt attacking enemies I didn't want to. Took a bit to realize that rythm is important, don't rush and aim carefully, since then I have had little to no problems with delivering blows at exactly who I want to hack. Even when facing multiple enemies.

Hi all,
I'm just playing the game for the second time and some shortcomings I was experiencing have actually been addressed, but a few things still stand out like a sore thumb.

Why is there a delay between the game loading and the player input? Seems to be it's there so Crones can whack Ciri over the head a few times before you can even move. :]

Damn horse still stops every 5 yards when going over a bridge.

Still no option for manual weapon seethe.

I think those things would be quite easy to implement, but would surely help avoid a few frustrations?

Various NOT NEEDED plus that could improve the already high depth of this game or another one

First, this no doubt is one of the best rpgs i ever played (more than what i would like to say) so praise to your work even if there are some minor problems here and there, not only the main story but also some side quests even helped/inspired me in my current project, but how you worked, since the release to address such issues, well, it shows other gaming companies how they should handle their business; second, i've made a small list of some suggestions that you can use in this game or, why not, in another one.
I'll try to list em' in order from the most important to the least useful ones:

-Geralt movements at times are quite uncontrollable, i mean when you command geralt to move and stand in place, often he turn around and you have to repeat 1 or 2 more times
-Geralt is still quite in love with candles
-The runewrigth doesn't feel't appealing, there are just a few good enchantments worth of the money you throw at him, and the loss of all 3 slots that can give more benefits with runestones is even worst: can't you add some real good damage/defensive/passive enchantments or at least make it so we can keep both the enchanting and the 3 slots for the standard runestones?
-The standard modality of yrden nerf was quite a let down… i understand you want to make the game the most polished possible (you're polish after all), but c'mon, standard yrden is totally unworthy of even selecting it from the sign wheel now; sure the total freeze effect was too cheap but now the max it can reach is 42% doesn't matter how much we boost his intensity, are you cereal, guys? Can't it have just a set maximum slowdown of let say 80-90%
without freezing completely everything in his range? Or double his total radius of the actual max level but make it so the max slowdown it have is of 50% at least?
-Probably this is gonna happen in the next dlc, but well... is it possible to have a legendary artisan who can:
  • add slots to the total of 3, to not only armors, but even to swords
  • be able to upgrade the last tier of witcher gear crafted, with stats and side bonus effects to the players level if he gone higher than said gear requirements (depending on the level cap)
  • An option to change the bonus on relics weapons or witcher gear with use of money and certain alchemy ingredients (from a wheel of set number of effects for both armors and weapons), obviously with certain price
  • Apply custom colors to armors at least for witcher gear (with a maximum of 3 or a palette of colors free to the players choice)
-On difficulties above the easier one, but after the prologue, the crossbow shouldn't have infinite bolts, or even better, outside the griffin fight, (if not at all)
-Monster trophy effects are quite redundant, since there are various monsters from which we can get said trophies, why they can't have special effects depending on said monster ability/behavior?
-Bosses mutagens couldn't have some particular effects which use could be better than a standard greater mutagen?
-Rebalance the price for monster parts, especially boss monsters parts (they're worth like nothing right now, if bosses are so easy to kill there's no need for a witcher to do the dirty job)
-The general skills should have another tier in the active skills slot, maybe a new vertical line of 4 active slots only for general skills, even with a new common mutagen (randomly dropped by any monster) that give up to 5% increase to said skills effects or make it so they have/give benefits in dmg boost/sign intensity/vitality buff when placed where there are certain color mutagens
-Is it possible to make it so players can keep the rewards from the end HoS (outside the crowns or the sword obviously) in the first game, so they can have another one in ng+? (the sword is really nice, but that saddlebag/skin? and what about the infinite alcohol… oh that nidda gonna witcherses)
-A new mutagen tier, tumor mutagen 20% intensity or something like that (made by mixing 5 greater mutagens?), which can be used to deal massive damage/great effects with signs, but at a price, maybe losing big chunks of life with each cast for damaging ones, or reducing by certain % stamina regen for the passive/defensive ones, without any chance to use decoctions or removing all decoctions active effects; another limit could be to stay under a % of life so that you can benefit said buff
-Make so, in any difficulty above the easier one, all monsters in the world, even the minions, if usually they're below the player's level, they'll scale but bosses don't get de-leveled
-Possibility to make it so big monsters killed in contracts (even rare ones), can appear randomly in the overworld (day/night), while the player wander around, or by hearing some conversation in cities/villages; some of them could even be way higher than the player level, to make worth what we learned about those monsters
-Shapeshifters/dopples: so far i meet 2 dopplers, but none of them was doing bad things just because they were evil, but only due to major things, so they deserved to live, but well… that missing decoction is like a spike in the… you know (i'm a completitionist but i also just dislike acting differently from how i do in real life, so going into a kill spree of monsters without thinking if they deserve to get slain is unacceptable to me).
-Some possible use of spare alchemy ingredients, maybe random requests of packs of stuff herbalists/alchemists, popping randomly on notice boards, that can be sold for very good money
-about the previous one, since this is an rpg, i'm looking at bethesda games as a reference: can't we have the chance to double merchants crown capacity, at very least for the master armorsmith/blacksmith? (i have something like 50k crown parked in my box...)
-An end game arena/dungeon to fight for a lot of exp and parts with both minions and bosses or
-A new difficulty mode (probably gonna be added with next dlc), witcher mode maybe unlocked after completion of ng+:
  • no regen on meditation
  • halved potion usage/effects
  • weapons and armors deteriorates faster
  • you can meditate only in city or very close by
  • if you're out of potions, to refill everything (health,potions etc) you have to rest at inn
  • roach starts to get scared by just some growls,roars or thunders
  • weather affects geralts fighting and survivability (windy area make it harder to maintain position, rain can make him debilitated if he already have some wounds, snow/cold reduce drastically stamina regen and if geralt is wounded he starts to get DoT)
  • toxicity damage starts to depletes health faster if geralt doesn't have heightened tolerance
  • enemies parry more often, dealing a lot of damage if they succeed
  • started side quests/contracts not completed in certain amount of time can lead to a failure
  • geralts may be ambushed by bandits or corrupted guards
  • and/or by eternal fire witch hunters trying to kill him in the over world, especially at night, even more depending where he is in the main story or if he is good towards unarmed monsters or punish their aberrant life with the edge of his sword to praise the eternal fire
  • and/or scoia'tel if he acted bad towards em' one time or the other, throwing poison darts or arrows from far away that deals massive toxin damage
  • during day, geralt's witcher senses are toned down, while in night are boosted but night is a lot darker, and cat potion don't make a lot of positive changes to visibility
  • traveling/fighting too much without rest, in the limits of witcherses, can lead to minor debilitations during fights in the over world
  • all items gathered in this modality will be at the maximum level geralt can possibly reach (possibly a new tier if items: epic? very rare that can have one more boost bonus effect on them)
  • all monster bosses, not only main story, but also contracts, have a special move which can be fatal if isn't evaded/parried in time, and if a player dies by such move he loose all the unequipped gear, consumables and it overwrites the last save, said items can be recovered if said monster is defeated
  • Monsters minions/bosse can raid cities/villages randomly where is geralt (for comfort sake…) so he have the choice to help prevent/repel that attack and get some gold from guards, if he refuses to help or wait too long, unimportant npcs can die, even the ones outside any use of sidequests (vendors too)
  • if geralt have too many romances during his travel, with different women (especially hookers, but also important characters), he can get venereal disease (P.S: i never had the chance to read the books, forgive me, so i don't know if a witcher can ever get such diseases, if not, pass over this), curable in 2 weeks of playtime using certain potion or oil, during this time, his performances in fight are lowered dramatically: he get 20% more damage if he get hit, swords, signs and bombs deals 50% less damage (due to the pain, he can't be focused enough when he make bombs), stamina recovers at 50% slower than usual
  • oxygen depletes faster
-Random contracts generator unlocked after finishing all other contracts and main story (very easy with not so super detailed steps), yeah i know…i just liked so much to do those contracts.

I guess its over, some of this things are easily doable (?) or you're even working/adding something for the next dlc, but there are some others that probably couldn't since their behavior could be tied to the base code of the game somehow.

P.S: who worked about the trolls argumentations deserves a nobel.
P.P.S: i forgot, you're busy with other works so feel and you are totally free to pass on everything i wrote, but if you want to use them for TW3 or even take note of em' for your future works, well, gg.

Last edited:
There are very good sugestion here that i support but the 3 most pushing ones in my opinion are that we need an official instant sign casting ASAP, being able to initiate combat or exit it, and give us the need to choose wise wicth weapons we must draw.

One thing that came up yesterday when I was playing the expansion: before you encounter the toad prince Shani mentioned that someone threw a torch at it and it did not react, Geralt comes to conclusion it will be resistant to fire.
Then you fight the toad and it turns out you can barely deal any damage to it unless you use fire bombs and Igni - throughout the entire game you gather clues before fighting monsters to prepare for battle, in this instance it not only doesn't help but misleads.

I believe that for further DLCs or maybe future Witcher titles, there should be only the Death March difficulty available. I know this is a risky move that eliminates a lot of casual players and is a potential sales decrease, but I think most hardcore fans will agree that the game on DM level is totally another experience - for the better. Too many people bash the combat system because you can simply smash the Fast Attack button and win but the fact is that most of these people doing this "technique" are playing on easier levels! I am a Souls-Series fan then the suggestion. Not having an option to adjust the difficulty forces players to learn, have a better usage of combat techniques, roll/dodge etc, use alchemy buffs and time the attacks. Thanks!

Speaking of combat - I would like to have ability striking at critical points of a creature and achieving some special bonuses. Something like cutting someone's right hand so he can't use it anymore - he will have to fight with left hand (with lower damage of course!). Or maybe some precise blow in the artery - that would cause severe bleeding, even stronger with this fast attack skill.

I'm sorry but I'm too lazy to read all the 12 pages to see if someone has already mentioned these but anyway here goes:

-I'm using the auto-save feature which saves after a boss/mini-boss fight. If you reload this kind of save the loot from the boss/monsters is gone for good. It's a minor nuisance but something that should/could be fixed. Like killing a golem and reloading the autosaves denies you of the golem loot.
-For the UI it would be really good if in crafting all the categories would remain closed as default, or that if you close them the game "remembers" it. That way you don't always have to scroll through dozens and dozens of recipes or close the different categories, only to discover them open again next time.
-Please insert a small delay before people return to cleared abandoned sites. It's really annoying to clear a place full of loot(containers) only to see the guards return immediately and thus making looting impossible.
-Regards to the previous, I think the whole "Guards reacting to stealing/looting" should be removed. It's way too artificial. I can loot and steal diamonds, glowing metal bars and jewelry from starving peasants and no one cares but heaven for bid if I take a broken bottle from a container when guards are around! It would also resolve the previous suggestion of giving a slight delay so that I can actually loot the containers I fought so hard for.

-I'm using the auto-save feature which saves after a boss/mini-boss fight. If you reload this kind of save the loot from the boss/monsters is gone for good. It's a minor nuisance but something that should/could be fixed. Like killing a golem and reloading the autosaves denies you of the golem loot.
This one could potentially be considered a bug. Tech Support might appreciate a report on it.

Top Bottom