[GENERAL] Location of books, formulae, bestiary entries

+
PetraSilie said:
There was a chance in Act II from Shani after you gave her the Celandine in "Old friend of mine". Geralt could ask her about monster anatomy lessons... but I think, this is now too late ;D
Shani can really give you a Fleder bestiary entry? Thats funny. This time around, I didn't even get an option to ask for an anatomy lesson - I just assumed because I had read all the books available in Act II at the time. Or is it perhaps because I gave the Celandine to her at her house and not in the Hospital?

not sure, but the fleder entry is definitely possible to get from Shani ... but it is some chance involved. I have always done it at the hospital, so perhaps that is part of it, but i can also confirm that even at the hospital, she sometimes gives the entry for drowners instead. :peace:

Chuckles said:
Chuckles said:
There was a chance in Act II from Shani after you gave her the Celandine in "Old friend of mine". Geralt could ask her about monster anatomy lessons... but I think, this is now too late ;D
Shani can really give you a Fleder bestiary entry? Thats funny. This time around, I didn't even get an option to ask for an anatomy lesson - I just assumed because I had read all the books available in Act II at the time. Or is it perhaps because I gave the Celandine to her at her house and not in the Hospital?
She gave me a bestiary lesson on one I already had..

Yes I tried it once again. You have the option for a monster anatomy lesson but it wasn't about Fleder this time. She mentioned Drowners but I already had a bestiary entry :hmmm:

it's usually at one of three places ... Triss's house in a bookcase, basement of the herbalists or the order outpost

I do buy most of the books! And I still got 7k gold in the end of act III so I don't see why not buy them............. :teeth:

gamewidow said:
it's usually at one of three places ... Triss's house in a bookcase, basement of the herbalists or the order outpost
Thanks game widow, but i've already viewed your comprehensive wiki on this topic (if I didn't, I wouldn't have even heard of this book!). I'm a house looter when it comes to this game. EVERY house is emptied of loot when I start a new Act, but still: 9 run-throughs and none of them resulting in finding Ars Amandi in those locations.It irritates me. Perhaps it is reliant on some trigger I never reach? This is the first time i've played through and didn't already have the Perfume entry in my Journal by Act III, which I thought to be perhaps a prerequisate.

i feel your pain, i am the same way Chuckles, but i don't think i've ever missed it ... however, i've only done one EE run, so who knowsalso, it might be your thoroughness elsewhere that curses you, it might not be available if you already know the formula for perfume ... do you ? i don't know if this is a fact, but it does make some sense that they might be related. :peace:Edit upon reread, i see you don't have the entry, and i do feel that having it *could not* be a trigger ... after all, why trigger getting the book for something you already have ?

I've played pre-EE Witcher a few times as well, but I can't recall EVER finding this book.It must be something that I do the same EVERY time I play (which pretty much could be anything), and not an install-specific problem (I bought TW again for EE and re-installed).

I've identified the trees that the gardner is pruning. But I can't find the book to identify the unkowns in the grass field to the right of the hospital. What book, or at least the name of the plants.I know, dumb question -- but it is driving me nuts for some reason.BTW, great game, truly great -- so many details and the story is fantastic.

Most likelyVerbena Verbena is a common flowering plant. Perhaps common in general, but not in the game. There it grows outside St. Lebioda's Hospital, and near the Druids' grove and Golem Burial Grounds only. Source * Plants of Barren Lands * The Druid's Herbarium(or perhaps talking to some old lady in act one, in exchange for some food not 100% sure) or perhaps it could be :Hellebore petalsHellebore Hellebore petals come from a common field plant. According to the old women in the Outskirts, it is a tonic for insomnia. Source * speaking with Abigail about Specter Oil (costs 30 orens) * This is one of the possible entries acquired from the Old Women in the Outskirts in exchange for food during Act I. * Field Plants * The Druid's Herbarium * In the "Side Effects" premium module: The Hellebore

you can definitely get the verbena entry for free in Act I ... and i is definitely verbena, berbercane and hellebore that grow closest to the hospital (the hellebore grows outside the garden wall) :peace:

In act 2, next to the hospital, there is grass field. I can't seem to identify the unknow plants there. I can identify the tress next to the gardner, but not the plants in the field.Any sugguestions?Very nice game.

it was answered here..http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=20715.30Its Verbana and I think you can get the book from the Druids in the swamps among other places but i cant remember for certain.

Help...I havent yet gotten to the bookseller in the Trade Qtr here in Act III so this may give me a book to buy to get this monster entry...ive actually managed to kill them in Swamp but get no remains because i have no entry in the journal for it. Any suggestions, is there a house, tavern ,etc a book might be fund before i approach the bookseller. The Antiquarian doesnt have such a book or formula scroll and ive bought just about all of his stuff in the Temple Qtr. I have taken a monster contract on the kiikimore and want to go after the reward...thanks!

It's the book "The wonderful world of insectoids". The bookseller in the marketplace of the tradequarter sells it. You can likewise talk to all blue marked town guards (don't remember his rank) One tells Geralt about nasty big spiders or so. These are kikimora, the conversation results in an entry about these monsters plus ingredients ;)

Thanks Petra..bought the book, they are expensive so its nice to just locate one accidentally in a house or in dialogue get the ref to the monster in your journal, even better! Too bad i didnt happen upon a guard earlier w/info...i just bought it off the bookseller in the Trade Qtr. Now, I had nothing on vampires and I bought one on Myths & Curses of striga, buxa, vampire, etc The order of these may be off but you get the book...was there a way to get this info in dialogue too w/another? Im trying to keep info in future when i play 2nd time-the monster books really empty out your purse! :whatthe: The contracts refill it however. ;D Is there a link as there are w/swords and walk-throughs in Wiki on how to gain books and formulary in dialogues w/characters because that would be valuable to have and save tons of orens! If there isnt one, maybe someone should start one...hint, hint, forum mbrs. Im still a noob otherwise, Id take it on myself. Dont even know how to upload to Wiki...i know you can Edit them easily enough and upload .jpg pics of objects too.

Simply search for the required monster in the Wiki, e.g. Bruxa. It has all necessary info. Source tells you how to get the info. The mentioned book tells you where to purchase it.Preparation for your 2nd playthrough ;)Big spoiler 1 tells you which books you have to buy or obtain for free.Big spoiler 2 tells you free sources for monsters, herbs and formulas.

Top Bottom