Jobs Store Support Register

Harald Houndsnout & Djenge Frett Combo

+
Harald Houndsnout & Djenge Frett Combo

Two of the best Skellige cards in my opinion. (when used together of course)

Seriously, it's such a good combo, especially with sigdrifa and restore on hand for round 3.

I have been destroying people with this deck on ranked, got me to 18 a couple of points away from 19.

Not many people have a hard counter ready for Harold so he is usually a sucess.

Usually i play Hym into Harold for first round first play, which usually baffles my opponent.

9 times out of ten they havent touched Wilmar, Wilfred and Wilhelm by my next turn.

I then bring Frett out with Crach, thats 16 points for frett once ive destroyed two skulls and an extra 11 for the bear and 2-4 damage for opposite row.

Pretty serious points i'm sure you can agree, the move has been giving me serious CA when i've gone second.

Granted it dosent do much opposite row damage on first round but i leave that for r3.

If all goes well and you have restore and sigfrida in hand its an assured victory (for the most part), for back up i have Aguara true form which brings restore often, and Vessimer mentor into runestone to create sigfrida or even restore.

Round three i fog at least two rows and use whale harpooners to stack a row, once its near full capacity i drop harold, hopefully by the end of r3 they dont have any counters in hand and i finish with sigfrida into 16 point frett, 19 if he gets strengthend by one of the skulls, and possibly another 6 extra strength if i have the oppurtunity to use mandrake in r2 or r3

16 point frett goes to 20 after hitting the skulls (more if hes strengthened, obviously), i hit the their row hard for 7-9 points and spawn a bear, it's satisyfing and effective.

Obviously it can be countered by Caretaker, whenever that happens i question my existence and think if its all really worth it in the end.

:troll:
 
SHALLAHJUSTICE;n10560592 said:
Topic: Harold and Frett
This simply won't do with so many players wanting the original full length names back. Updated the topic to better reflect its content.

The combo is nice, until you run into Coral/Compression/Muzzle. Anyhow, having Hym to pull Harald and Crach to pull Djenge does increase the reliability of the combo. Another advantage is that you can easily put it into a lot of different SK archetypes.

 
Luckily i haven't been compressed yet. Matter of time I suppose.

Having said that i haven't seen much compression this season.

I think people have become obsessed with reliable cards and cards that enhance their archetypes tempo and don't want to play any card that doesn't have synergy with the deck.
 
That's exactly the main combo i've used this season, although i only use it once (on the 3rd round, since i use Crach to pull Djenge and use him twice, with Siggy, but Harald only once since i dont use Restore).

Im glad you have been having better luck, when i was trying to reach Rank 20 opponents werent as foolish and knew better than to leave the skulls alone, either banishing them, boosting them or destroying the one on their side themselves.

And it didnt help that both Olaf and Djenge both stay at 20 pts - even with my effort to tick 1 pt on Olaf, filthy SC players usually had 2 scorches for both.
 
4RM3D;n10560762 said:
This simply won't do with so many players wanting the original full length names back. Updated the topic to better reflect its content.

The combo is nice, until you run into Coral/Compression/Muzzle. Anyhow, having Hym to pull Harald and Crach to pull Djenge does increase the reliability of the combo. Another advantage is that you can easily put it into a lot of different SK archetypes.
Even then, it's not that bad.
If your opponent compress Wilmar you still get a decent amount of value from Harald and he still represents +3 str for each of your Marauders.
If he wait and compress Djenge...Well it's bad, I'm not gonna lie but you still get a free bear out of the deal. Honestly, Harald is a really good card. Probably one of the best Silver for SK at least imo.
 
I feel like a hipster reading about this combo because I was using it last December. Yeah, it is really satisfying and effective when you pull it off.
 
It's an old combo I know, It's just i've never based a whole deck off them, like literally fuck the golds it's just these two and some premium support cards.
​​​​​​
:wisegirl:
 
I see another has come to appreciate the power of the mighty HARALD HOUNDSNOUT, but you have yet, I see, to evolve your understanding to the point where you post HARALD HOUNDSNOUT's name in all caps, or why it should be done. Continue on the path, my son, and soon you shall also correctly address the mighty HARALD HOUNDSNOUT, and appreciate his hilarious voice lines.

I really wish they'd make a mighty HARALD HOUNDSNOUT avatar.
 
Since the nerf on the Berserker Marauders, using Harald almost the only way to get the old value out of them. I usually do this in round three: Harald Houndsnout , Decoy Harald, Tuirseach Archer (shoot the two Wilmar's only, this way you got 8 cursed unit on the board), then Djenge Frett some non-cursed units, then play the ~20 point Berserker Marauders. Last card is a Tuirseach Archer (shooting the 2 Wilhelm and a Wilfred).

//It's not really good against ST swarm and you have to look out for the Scorches too.

I think the most entertaining way to use Harald, when the opponent played a Skellige Storm. You just have to put them on the left of the storm and boom... instant bear. (Then Sigrdrifa and/or Restore Harald.)


 
Last edited:
styape;n10623392 said:
Since the nerf on the Berserker Marauders, using Harald almost the only way to get the old value out of them. I usually do this in round three: Harald Houndsnout , Decoy Harald, Tuirseach Archer (shoot the two Wilmar's only, this way you got 8 cursed unit on the board), then Djenge Frett some non-cursed units, then play the ~20 point Berserker Marauders. Last card is a Tuirseach Archer (shooting the 2 Wilmar and a Wilfred).

//It's not really good against ST swarm and you have to look out for the Scorches too.

I think the most entertaining way to use Harald, when the opponent played a Skellige Storm. You just have to put them on the left of the storm and boom... instant bear. (Then Sigrdrifa and/or Restore Harald.)
Isn't the +3 from the other skulls better than the +1 they give to the marauders?
 
iamthedave;n10630601 said:
Isn't the +3 from the other skulls better than the +1 they give to the marauders?
You technically have 3 Marauders so not really. Plus, playing your Marauders doesn't prevent you from hitting the skulls afterwards.
Keeping the skulls alive (I know, it sounds weird lol) is also helpful in certain match up, like reveal for example. Not that it's a difficult match up in the first place but there is no arm in getting additional value, especially when it's free.
 
Last edited:
GenLiu;n10630811 said:
You technically have 3 Marauders so not really. Plus, playing your Marauders doesn't prevent you from hitting the skulls afterwards.
Keeping the skulls alive (I know, it sounds weird lol) is also helpful in certain match up, like reveal for example. Not that it's a difficult match up in the first place but there is no arm in getting additional value, especially when it's free.
Well, even so, if you play 3 Marauders you've gained +3 from that one skull... who gives +3 if he dies anyway. It makes sense if you can kill the skull(s) afterwards, but not as an either/or, save in marginal cases like the one you mentioned.

I can't remember what the old skull on the enemy board did. Was it summons a bronze unit from your deck?
 
iamthedave;n10631301 said:
Well, even so, if you play 3 Marauders you've gained +3 from that one skull... who gives +3 if he dies anyway. It makes sense if you can kill the skull(s) afterwards, but not as an either/or, save in marginal cases like the one you mentioned.

I can't remember what the old skull on the enemy board did. Was it summons a bronze unit from your deck?
Not anymore, it spawns a bear on your side of the board which is still pretty potent.
The idea behind leaving the +3 buff skull untouched is that, there is basically no drawback in living it there, if your opponent kills it somehow, you get the buff if not, it buffs you Marauders for free and you still have the option to kill it later. I think there is more to lose by killing it immediately than keeping it alive as long as possible (I don't see how it could be bad to keep a 1 str unit on your side of the board for as long as you can, especially since it represents only +2 str on your board if you kill it).

Futhermore, that kind of body can be useful in some neat situation (slightly protects your row against sweepers, Rot tosser, Bekker's dark mirror...)
 
True dat. I'll probably leave it in the future.

I wonder if the old 'summons a unit' skull would be better or worse than the 11 str bear?
 
I haven't lost a match on PC yet, i know its lower tier casual but still. 20 plus matches so far and i have definitely played a few experienced players who have moved from console like me.

It's the best most high tempo combo in the game when done under optimal conditions.

:uma:

High point, high tempo play first round no matter who wins the coinflip and its even more powerful third round.

I'm so used to having CA its bordering on arrogant.

:surprised:

It's not just the combo either, my deck is the ultimate support deck for those two, i have a million ways to have them on the board first round and last, of course there is going to be a few unlucky hands in their as well, but they are few and far between.

I don't want to give away my deck to anything other then public demand, needless to say the bronzes really set up the board for a super efficient Harold play.

I should be bored of the deck by now but its just too goddamn delicious.

:wisegirl:

I just wonder if its an ethical deck or not, sometimes i feel like a aloof bully using it.

 
I'm glad to finally see part off this deck. I've heard you speaking of it for months before you disappeared and came back to play pc now. Was this the deck you milled your other collection for? I always like to throw a Harold in some decks when it's unexpected but never tried building a deck around him.
 
I primarily play skellige now do I was inspired to throw frette in a deck which I don't use him often. First match artifact compressed lol
 
Mancoon1980;n10907201 said:
I'm glad to finally see part off this deck. I've heard you speaking of it for months before you disappeared and came back to play pc now. Was this the deck you milled your other collection for? I always like to throw a Harold in some decks when it's unexpected but never tried building a deck around him.
Yeah i've started living a healthier lifestyle, i only eat seafood and i gave up PS4 for good. (or until RDR2)

:smiling2:

Gwent is something else though, nice to just chill and play after you have done everything, put your feet up smoke a joint or have a beer and relax.

And playing this deck is even better because i always win lol.