Help with chronology

+
Help with chronology

For the D'Jinni competition I'm working on a plot which happens before Geralt 'dies' - so about five or six years before the game story.I need some events in the Witcher's world which will anchor the story in time - something that's recently happened that people are talking about. Was the Battle of Brenna before Geralt died? How long before? Is there any time he was just wandering around the countryside after the battle but before he died, when he didn't have any friends with him?Thanks very much...

Whisperwind said:
Battle of Brenna... Geralt was alive as I recall, Coen died there, Shani met Yeavinn there, she was in field hospital with Rusty and he came in with that line which you hear when scoia'tael comes in hospital in act 5. It's a bit late now, I think tommorow I could give some more info about it. It wasn't long till geralt died though. And about wandering around, as I remember when Dandelion came back to him, he stayed by his side when 'speacial ladys' left to Lodge, but they were wandering around, mostly near a tree were he supposed to see a notice from them. Gosh I can't remember... Tommorow I'll give it all more clear.
Wow! That was quick. Thank you very much.What I really want to know is, was there any time which isn't accounted for in the stories between the Battle of Brenna and when Geralt died, when he could spend a week having the adventure we're writing for him?

Yes, I think there definitely is a week of time for Geralt to spend on his own which can be fit between The Battle of Brenna (which happens imho around the same time as the big climax of the saga(when Geralt finally accomplishes what he was aiming for during the three previous books)) and Geralt´s death. At first, the people he was looking for (OK, this is really awkward phrasing, there´s no way you can´t not have spoilers when asking for information about the end ;) )travel with him, but after a while they part their ways. Dandelion is with him all the time, though, but you can easily have him held back in a lady´s company :)So technically, it is possible to have your adventure take place then. What I see as something of a problem is the fact that at this moment, the last thing Geralt would be interested in are his usual witcher activities, ie. hunting for monsters, courting random women etc. as he has ... um ...fulfilled his fate, found the love of his life, and does neither want to intervene in the matters of others nor to wield his witcher sword any more - until he is, ironically, forced by his inate goodness to use it one last time to protect the nonhumans.But well, that´s just my interpretation of the development of his character, besides I don´t know what your story´s plotline is, so why not have it set at this time ;) Just if you wanted to play it really safe, you could set it like ...10,15, 20 years before Geralt´s death (when the short stories take place)... but you probably want to refer to the war against Nilfgaard or something, right?

I'm also (with the help of ausir) building a timeline and what we have so far is on the wiki (do i sound repetitive?)http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Timelineit's pretty rudimentary so far ... anyone ??? ... but have a look :)

I think it would be just easier to set your story somewhere LONG before Battle of Brena and make it as "A time long ago the times were difficult and cruel. And the world cried out for a witcher…"

MadCat said:
I think it would be just easier to set your story somewhere LONG before Battle of Brena and make it as "A time long ago the times were difficult and cruel. And the world cried out for a witcher…"
Yup. But, unfortunately, for continuity reasons, we can't do that...I'm not giving secrets away. Wait 'till you play it!

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
Yup. But, unfortunately, for continuity reasons, we can't do that...I'm not giving secrets away. Wait 'till you play it!
Then you have got a problem :D

Geralt encounters a mischievous sorceress who sends him back in time to repay him for something or the other. So he remembers the Battle of Brenna, but he can't go be with Yennifer, because they haven't met yet in this time, so he has to go witchering until the curse ends and he's snapped back into his regular time.Or something like that. :)

Oh, come on, that's too cheesy. Better would be Geralt remembering something which happened and didn't make much sense earlier, but now it would fit into plot of the books. Something which would give him some idea what to do next. Let's say fate related ^_^

Corylea said:
Geralt encounters a mischievous sorceress who sends him back in time to repay him for something or the other. So he remembers the Battle of Brenna, but he can't go be with Yennifer, because they haven't met yet in this time, so he has to go witchering until the curse ends and he's snapped back into his regular time.Or something like that. :)
We've (so far) left out references to the Battle of Brenna, trying to find other ways of anchoring it in time. So it's definitely before Geralt dies, and definitely not long before...

SimonBrooke said:
We've (so far) left out references to the Battle of Brenna, trying to find other ways of anchoring it in time. So it's definitely before Geralt dies, and definitely not long before...
In fifth tome there are only 6 'undescribed' days before Geralt's death, when he travels with Dandelion to Rivia. As equilibris said before, during this time Geralt dosn't care about people other than Ciri or Yennefer and avoids getting involved in anything risky. Just before his death he even says about giving up the witchery and tries to get rid of his sword. In my opinion it is very bad time for adventure if you want to keep close to the main story. It's just difficult to understand what is in his head in this moment without reading the entire book.I would rather recomend time after Second Battle of Sodden, first victory of the Northern Kingdoms in the wars with Nilfgaard. That would be before events in Blood of Elves, or even a year before he found Ciri in 'Something more' short story(very good prologue to the Blood of Elves, too bad they won't translate it). Geralt said he was in the north during that period, far away from the war, propably doing usual witcher stuff.

Top Bottom