How is Saskia Commander a good card?

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
After listing all the things horrible about this card, you gave the judgement that she is a strong card :think:

As Barracuda had mentioned, she can be handled in multiple different ways. If she is not Immune, she will be crap tier and join the vast majority of other ST cards. May be she is niche and plays in one deck relatively strong and even there the people had to suffer a lot to get a decent value. And if the opponent is a good player, I believe the trap decks should never win. Compare her with Fucusya - just add and get million points in million different ways based on the siutations.
I did, and i stick by my statement - Saskia:C is quite strong. She is great on long rounds, so either on R1 to pressure your opponent, or on R3, since a long 10 card R3 results in her summmoning 4 units, which is phenomenal.

I did mention a lot of her drawbacks in deckbuilding, but remember i also said i was trying really hard to be different. If you just stick 2x Cat witchers, 2x dryad matrons and 2x elf sentries, which ST movement decks already did, you've got more than half the job done for you. And i dont think the mulligans and correct card order are such a problem as long as your Saskia C deck is well built.

Regarding the immunity, you are correct - she would be so much worse without immunity...
But she does have it. And even though there are some ways to play around it and counter her early, they are by no means easy or guaranteed, immunity is still one of the safest status a card can have in Gwent, almost all decks will struggle to deal with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the subject of the creation of this thread, which @EduFerraz criticized, i stand by the decision to do it.
There are simple cards, and then there are complex cards in Gwent. And in this update, we got quite a few complex cards that deserve a lot of discussion and sharing strategies and Saskia:C is definitely one of them, deserving a thread of her own.

I have seen Saskia Commander mentioned in a few posts on some threads saying she plays for huge points and she is super strong. But I don't see it. She is super awkward, contrived and doesn't fit really well in any decks as a coherent support. At best, she can be considered as just a point slam card. A very slow point slam card which is contrived and awkward and over-priced too.

The possible targets for Saskia are:

Elf: Sentry (most opt), Whisperer (add just because it doesn't have Deploy like 90% of the ST cards are and if magically it survives, it would fill up the row even faster), Sorceress (useless card in engine overload decks)
Dwarf: Mercenary, Berserker
Dryad: Matron (None of the other Dryads would fit in a Saskia deck)
Human: Smuggler (Abandoned Girl just for sake of 5 point point slam)

Nothing else is a good candidate for Saskia and the worst thing is, your deck should only have these bronzes. Any other bronzes you want to have, it can seriously mess up if it gets pulled. And, even in the engine overload decks, Saskia is more of a nuisance than an actual helper. She can pull card which could/should come late effectively pulling your engine later. She wouldn't let you play the engine which is apt at the time as she wouldn't pull the copy of the engine from deck. She forces you to add cards which doesn't fit just so that she can play for a decent value.

Say you have a Sentry and a Witcher in hand and Saskia pulls a Dward. Now you have to play one of these engines so that it starts to get value. You play Cat Witcher and if it is not removed you lose the ability to pull the engine later. Also, you have very limited bronzes in your deck. What is your round 1 strategy? Are you going to play Saskia in R1 which can seriously mess up and get the good cards you want to use in R2/R3? If you are not going to use Saskia, how are you going to exit R1 without committing your bronzes as well as not committing more golds?

I am trying to figure out a deck which is good for her, but the troubles I need to go through just to make a mediocre junk card.. in most case doesn't seem to worth it. In any other faction, she would be easily a 11P card. But she fits the ST universe perfectly. Contrived, Awkward, Hard To Pull Off, Over-Priced.
The card bring all the bronze unit from your deck one by one every 3 turn, if that is not a strong card i dont know what is a strong card then.
it cannot be controled cause of her invulnerability status, it a cheated card, that shoud be nerfed like eldain and the tiger, saskia is made to trow all of the unit out of the deck to got just the traps, so you will won the first round knowing that every three trurn you will play two cards, and for the second turn you just need to put all your traps so each time the opponent put a card you detroy it with your traps and if it not, you can destroy it with a bomb and bring madoc or move the unit and bring milva or both of them, it such a toxic gameplay and in the end you just need to put eldain and you will won the game to be sure you can also put in your deck that card that come if you are controling 5 elfes, i'm tired of facing that deck it has no strategy at all, i'm forced to play the 2 decks that are effective against it
Developper are making nothing to fix it
They fixed radovid only two weeks after the card was created to not allow it to create the lyrian reaper with the revolt ability i dont know why they fixed it
NR leader abilitys are almost all useless,
While everyone are complaining against saskia eldain and traps but they still dont want to nerf it
Post automatically merged:

I don't know if Saskia C is a good card but if you want to play full controll she is your auto-proactivity.

Is Portal a good card? Would Portal be a good card if it would reset his counter every use? Would it be good as a 4 immune unit instead of an Artifact? Is Raffards Vengeance a good card?

Ok RV is superstrongop forget that. She is basically a Portal with different deckbuilding condition. She is good in strategies where you reserve your hand for reactive cards and don't want to play any bronce unit in R3.
As a long time SC player i guess you can think about one or two strategies that would fit this.

But in general, as a midrange tutor/pointslam/thinner....meh
It not a good card it a cheated card, like eldain the tiger and the traps

rrc

Forum veteran
The card bring all the bronze unit from your deck one by one every 3 turn, if that is not a strong card i dont know what is a strong card then.
it cannot be controled cause of her invulnerability status, it a cheated card, that shoud be nerfed like eldain and the tiger, saskia is made to trow all of the unit out of the deck to got just the traps, so you will won the first round knowing that every three trurn you will play two cards...
If this is the what the card does, as you described, then I agree, it would be a very strong "cheat" card. But unfortunately, this is NOT what the card does. The card DOES NOT bring all the bronze units from deck one by one every 3 turn. There is a steep condition that the card that she pulls should be having unique category, which implies that you should have unique category cards in your deck and you shouldn't play those cards from hand making your play awkward. I know I have repeated this many times, but I thought I need to clarify as you seem to misunderstand the card. On top of that, she has a deck building condition.

Compare her with cards like Fucusya or Gerhart. You can just add these cards in ANY deck and they will never brick and always provide much better value without any conditions on the board or deck building.

My recommendation for you would be to try to build a deck with Saskia and play. Only then you can realise how awkward the card is.

If this is the what the card does, as you described, then I agree, it would be a very strong "cheat" card. But unfortunately, this is NOT what the card does. The card DOES NOT bring all the bronze units from deck one by one every 3 turn. There is a steep condition that the card that she pulls should be having unique category, which implies that you should have unique category cards in your deck and you shouldn't play those cards from hand making your play awkward. I know I have repeated this many times, but I thought I need to clarify as you seem to misunderstand the card. On top of that, she has a deck building condition.

Compare her with cards like Fucusya or Gerhart. You can just add these cards in ANY deck and they will never brick and always provide much better value without any conditions on the board or deck building.

My recommendation for you would be to try to build a deck with Saskia and play. Only then you can realise how awkward the card is.
Let me second this. On paper, Saskia is much, much stronger than in practice — for exactly the reasons rrc gives. It is unfortunate that the one deck where she appears to work best is so toxic — largely due to other cards that also only work decently in a toxic deck.

I already have a deck with saskia, traps eldain milva the tiger and madoc, i just dont play it because it a toxic gameplay, i know there is a build deck condition, i created a new deck to have the 10 catégories troups, the deck is abused the combo of the cat school witcher the dol bathana defender and the dryade tutrice were already too strong, if i was wrong, i would not make that much face against that deck, i think there is about 40% of players who are playing that deck now

Top Bottom