How much fun do you have playing Gwent?

+
Because a picture is worth a thousand words, I have attached the chart which summarises what is spelled out below.

Based on my experience and on feedback from other players, I have put together this "Gwent gameplay fun curve", which describes the journey of playing Gwent and the fun you can expect to get along the way.
This touches mostly on the gameplay aspects of the game itself, and not that much on the satisfaction you might get from collecting all sorts of stuff: vanity items, premiums, achievements, cardbacks, etc. which of course might also add to the fun of playing Gwent.

Have you gone through the same process?

(might need to right click/view image to be able to read the text XD)
Gwent_gameplay_fun_curve.png

phase 1: Starting to play Gwent. Unless you immediatelly feel this game is not for you, this is a good part of the experience, in particular with the new starter decks. Provided you figure out that you must play "ranked", you will have fair games against other new players who are on the same boat. The fun starts!

phase 2: Starting to create your own decks and climbing the ladder.
This is one of the best phases and a lot of fun; some experienced players even creating a new account just to experience it again!
You start to understand rules, combos, synergies and on your own merits start to build/improve a deck.
Saving the distances, it is a bit like kids learning to play chess with only a few pieces and adding more as they are comfortable with the rules.
Matchmaking works well for the most part and you have tons of fun climbing the ladder and coming up with new decks.

Turning point A: You meet the first meta decks and start losing games (and you probably have not even heard from them before).

phase 3: You might try to hold the fort and even if you are losing, you try to stick to your baby (*your* deck) and make the best out of it. It gets more and more frustrating and eventually you find out about the meta decks and the ever polemical concept of "netdecking".
The chess analogy is that it feels a bit like playing without the queen; you are either a genius or you will get frustrated pretty quickly.
You start to grind to get enough scraps for a meta deck.

Turning point B: You are probably frustrated because you wasted some scraps in the past in useless cards, but you are there. You have the first meta deck with a cool faction of your choosing and put it to the test.

phase 4: You start to win games again. While you get to play the meta deck, you learn a bit less about deck building but learn more about the gameplay. When to pass, what blue coin/red coin implies depending on the match, which combos are the best, what other meta deck weaknesses are, details like the order of effects, etc.

phase 5: It feels like playing without any unfair disadvantage. While you still meet players who are still in phase 3, you soon climb to a point where everyone is playing meta decks. Matchmaking does its job and you learn to make small adjustements to a working deck to adapt to slight changes in the meta.
Gameplay is strategic and fun.

Turning point C: The meta changes, your deck gets nerfed (for example artifacts deck) and/or you are bored of always playing the same deck. You realise you need a new deck to keep playing Gwent to its full potential and don't have enough scraps.

phase 6: You don't have enough scraps to craft a new meta deck. If you were playing a powerful deck and you were quite skilled with it, now you cannot win with the current set of cards and you probably feel out of place in the current rank. You soon discard the idea of trying to craft a whole new deck by yourself, since you know you will waste scraps and failed in the past... You have to grind for scraps to get to the good cards, and in essence, gameplay is no longer that much fun.

phase 7: The cycle repeats itself: You grind enough to craft a new meta deck and get to a point were the matches are fair again and eventually you get bored of that deck,or the meta changes,..., but everytime you will have more tools to adapt and can create bigger deck variations with a bigger card pool.

phase 8: (Many beta players probably got here directly). You have all the cards, which allows to play on an even field, where everyone has access to the whole card pool.
To win you need skill, and the learning journey is by far not finished.
Once you have access to all cards, meaning all meta decks, you can play all and learn their strengths and weeknesses, you will be able to predict what other players will play, you can play around those strategies, try to find new tweaks to the decks to beat those counter strategies,...
This feels how Gwent is intended to be played.

phase 8+: If you want to make it to the top of the fun curve, and really enjoy Gwent to its full potential, it is not good enough to drag along playing existing meta decks. You have to come up with new decks!
Having all the cards allows for experimentation, without penalties for crafting bad cards; and in Gwent you can innovate, find new strategies, new archetypes that might become the new meta,... good examples can be seen watching streamers. Granted, that it seems quite difficult to find new good decks, unless you are a very good player, and you might feel nostalgic of phase 2...
In any case, CDPR adds new factions, new cards, new rules, etc. regularly, which helps greatly to keep Gwent fun.

Last edited:
I have never played a "meta" deck and I play 99% of my games with Franchesca.
I've always been looking for her to work well, no matter how many times they reduce her power or how weak it seems.

In this last season I got 12 consecutive victories, I have not played much these days but my new deck has 26-6-2.:beer:

Before that, due to changes in some cards, my previous deck lost 66% of the time. I decided to analyze how I lost and find a way to take advantage of that.
There is always gratification in continuing to explore the game, because that is what is supposed to be ... "our game", not simply the game of 3 people and a legion of zombies imitators behind.

Basically after phase 3 on your graph I went to 8, and personally I think that the imitation phase is very useless, someone must have a lot of need to win to settle for an empty victory.

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    381.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 22.png
    22.png
    375.7 KB · Views: 213
I agree that the above chart is flawed in that it assumes you always want to play meta decks, while a lot of people have fun playing non meta decks on purpose. It's something you can't really express in one chart however as it's highly dependent on your playstyle. Though I think that under the assumption you want to play meta, the chart is not all that wrong and I have certainly hit those downfalls when starting to play against better and better opponents and getting close to a full collection but missing those sweet gold cards.

I agree that the above chart is flawed in that it assumes you always want to play meta decks, while a lot of people have fun playing non meta decks on purpose.
Precisely expressed point. I was reading original post and did not bother with answer, because to me, it is like post from completely different world. I never played meta deck and never plan to do, I always play my own decks, which I create from cards, I currently have, not from cards, I would like to have and must craft. If I will by coincidence create something similar to meta deck, it will still be my own deck, which I created myself by accident, without help of somebody else.

In general, for such approach, it is the most fun at start, when majority of players have similar approach. As you climb higher, there are appearing many "unfortunate individuals, who sold their soul to devil" and it is much less fun because of monotony.

Have you gone through the same process?
Not really. I build my own decks because to me it's much more rewarding and fun to win with something I created than with something I just copied from someone else. I don't care about ranking up or win/loss ratios though; I'm very much a casual gamer. If I can't seem to do anything but lose, lose, lose, I just exit the game and come back another day. With the same decks; minor tweaks or no changes at all.

It varies. Yesterday, for example, I had TONS of fun trying out a silly deck I made for the sole purpose of completing a daily quest. Some days just aren't great and playing more than one two matches is enough to make the game feel less than fun.
In general, GWENT's a lot of fun thanks to the variety of strategies and decks one can build even within just one faction.

one can build even within just one faction
My approach is similar to yours and I also create some "thematical decks". And even more, I created deck "within zero faction". :) I mean, I had quest to play 60 neutral cards, so I just created deck consisting of only neutral cards without even single faction card. So far, I played that deck with 3 different leaders from 3 different factions (only small changes due to different provisions of leaders), because I was focusing on playing Scoia'tael 2 weeks ago, then there was faction challenge, where I supported Monsters and now I play Nilfgaard beacuse of faction challenge bonus experience. Deck is basically same and what surprises me, it has highly positive score in seasonal (about 75% winrate). Only trouble is, that you can switch leader of deck only for same faction, despite all your cards are neutral. So for every new faction, I have to re-create deck from scratch.

DRK3

Forum veteran
According to OP's graph, i would be in the last phase, phase 8, for... well, for over 2 years now. But i'll limit my comment to my experience in Homecoming Gwent.

I can say surely that just because i have a full collection and can experiment freely that doesnt mean im at the 'highest fun' at all. I actually had more fun when i was trying to get cards.

Now, the only time im really having fun is when a new update comes with new cards, so there's lots of new possibilities, or if the meta's stale as **** like it is now, its when i find an original deck that i like to play (most recent was Henselt Knights)

Short answer, not much. I've rarely played for over 2 months. I'll admit part of it is due to burnout. The rest.... Let's just say when I decide to game the starting point consists of weighing the options. I could play A, B or C. Suppose A is Gwent and B, C and so on are other games. Lately, when I weigh these options it's difficult to justify playing A over B, C or, well, anything else. Detailing all of the reasons why would be... time consuming. So I'm not going to go there :).

On the bright side, I do still keep Gwent installed and around though. Just in case the aforementioned reasons decide to go away.

No fun after Homecoming, i would like to enjoy it but i just can't stand it now. I want a ccg closer to witcher3-gwent like old gwent with big plays. Not this boring stale binary crap we have now. Find it rather impressive that some people enjoy Homecoming.

Serious Gwent/HC76 is for no-lifers. The causal mode is dead (not enough players) and seasonal is like...play this deck/faction only and win, this is the deck that works with seasonal...

As for ranked? Couldn't care less. I refer to my earlier comment.

When it comes out for mobile (which has been the point all along since HC came out..I hope there will be many more players.

And when every card has a base power minimum of 6. Then i'll give the game some time.

Well I absolutely didn't follow that chart in my progression through the game, just having fun with my own creations since I started.

But the game still have "highs and lows" to me. While I love the gameplay and it feels quite good to play the game, I still have no incentive to play much of the normal play; IT STILL FEELS LIKE GRINDING. It is really really sad, that I still can't play Arena (the mode which rarely bores me) and get daily reward points. Is that really too much to ask? Just increase entry cost for Arena if you think you are giving out too much...

As for normal play, I'd really like some official tournaments made by CDPR for normal (non-pro) people available. I don't really want to play tons and tons of games to maybe enter a tournament. It would be extremely fun to me to have some random tournaments that lasts 4 rounds or so, and you get rewards based on the number of wins, whatever the number of players in these tournaments are. Some incentive besides pointless ranked grinding to brew new decks and strategies would be extremely welcome.
Seasonal is usually boring to me as it is quite unbalanced and after a day or two there are just few best decks, and everything else is a waste of time to play in that mode.

I was super excited when they announced new faction coming to gwent, but then just remembered the points above and all of the excitement flew with the wind.

Top Bottom