How to balance Skellige...

+
I play axemen and bears, and I can tell you without a doubt that they are not overpowered. When they get going they do quite well, but that goes for any half thought out deck concept. However, there is a million and one ways to counter this deck concept, as I've learned the hard way, after investing a crap ton of scrap into Skelliger golds that benefit this deck archtype.

Hitopopamus;n8710210 said:
I think the most important thing is to make locked units in the graveyard lose their abilities. Particularly Queensguards.
I suggested this in another thread. Just Change the text to: "Rescue self, if another Queensguard apears on your side of the board." or sth equivalent.

God_of_Eredin;n8710840 said:
It will be funny when that weather deck gets crafted and 3000 scrap wasted only to see it nerfed. Weather is the first they they will nerf, followed by NG, then SK.
Weather needs just a small fix in my opinion. For example a cards to redo the weather damage of the last round. Or maybe make weather damage at the end of the round. It is mostly balanced because everybody can play it.

RalfBlunden;n8711360 said:
I play axemen and bears, and I can tell you without a doubt that they are not overpowered. When they get going they do quite well, but that goes for any half thought out deck concept. However, there is a million and one ways to counter this deck concept, as I've learned the hard way, after investing a crap ton of scrap into Skelliger golds that benefit this deck archtype.
Probably you are right. Will test this out by myself.

I am now playing Skellige and my win ration increased heavily. And yes, I am not using Axeman currently. :)

I still think that Skellige will get a nerf, especially Bear, Clan Drummond Shieldmaiden and the Queensguards-Combination (including Draig Bon–Dhu and Holger Blackhand). Also I saw very powerful combinations with buffing Morkvarg/ Olgierd, what will get nerfed soon

I think person who haven't played enough made this suggestions without knowing that actually these mentioned cards need love not debuff for they already on the floor. Not going into any details, will say that you can counter them in a million ways and no one using them in ranked, well wild bear may be the only used. Funny thing but I consider axemen in need of rebalance since it was nurffed to harshly, and wild bear to get some strength, weather protection or something, any how what I'm saying suggested changes doesn't make any sense to me.

Neyliana;n8784830 said:
I think person who haven't played enough made this suggestions without knowing that actually these mentioned cards need love not debuff for they already on the floor. Not going into any details, will say that you can counter them in a million ways and no one using them in ranked, well wild bear may be the only used. Funny thing but I consider axemen in need of rebalance since it was nurffed to harshly, and wild bear to get some strength, weather protection or something, any how what I'm saying suggested changes doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah, I agree. It was to early to post about Skellige, sorry. After playing with Skellige at 2000+ elo I see that the games there are mostly balanced. The unbalanced games I am loosing agaianst NG (and sometimes against Scoiatael-Eithne).

By the way, I am playing Savage Bear and Draig Bon–Dhu. All the grave-hackers are balancing Draig Bon-Dhu. At least my Savage Bear is sometimes blocking the Grave-hackers from NG. If this is not working it is always gg!

Today I am not that sure about an upcoming nerf of Skellige.

Last edited:
I don't think Savage Bear is too strong, but rather, there are a few cards that need to be stronger. First, Priestess of Freya should have veteran again or gain some armor. I think veteran is preferable, so they can still be walled in the first round. Skellige needs to have access to its graveyard; allowing a single bronze card to almost completely shut down a Skellige player's access to his own graveyard is too strong. The Bear is really hard to neutralize, too, as the Bear player will always have a chance to revive it/unlock it before you get a chance to revive any units.

Second, Dudu should either have one armor, so he can be played down when one Bear is on the field. One bronze card should not be able to completely neutralize a silver card.

Third, Unicorn/Chironex should probably be gold again. Yennefer is practically useless if you can't remove a Savage Bear, and she's probably too powerful against all other factions as you can decoy the beast and play it again.

Vicovaro medics should remain unchanged. Nilfgaard does not need to have guaranteed access to Skellige's graveyard. Savage Bear is Skellige's only defense to prevent one bronze card from reaping the benefits of potentially multiple turns of buffing. Plus, Nilfgaard already has the best locking unit in the game.

Clan Tuirseach Axemen are definitely not overpowered. They are extremely weak when first played on the board, and they require several turns to gain power. I've played Axemen almost exclusively ever since they only gained strength when one's own units were damaged. Right now, they can be banished quite easily by anything that weakens them, especially in round 1 when they only have 2 strength. I've actually had pretty good success with this deck, but I don't think there's anyway it can succeed in the meta right now due to Scoia'tael special spam, which hard counters this deck. This deck is definitely not common, as I think I've faced it about 4 times in approximately 140 ranked matches (currently at 2080 ranking points).

DanielSens;n8706560 said:
Clan Tuirseach Axeman:
Feels with weather-cards, Bear and Priestess of Freya unbeatable. Take away the armor and have a look. Maybe this is enough.

shroudb;n8708670 said:
a)i haven't seen a SINGLE competitive axeman deck out there, if anything, axemen need buff, not nerf

Just remembered my post here. We are currently at the point that axeman is one of the biggest unbalanced problems. It is multiplying the value of weather cards and even with other cards playable. There are a lot of competitive axeman decks.

Bear is pretty much an auto include for Skellige.

Draig Bon–Dhu I am playing in my QG Deck and it is very important fr it, but I don't see this card very often.

I don't see what makes an axeman deck so unbalanced, since there are plenty of ways to counter it. There will always be decks that are stronger/weaker against a specific other type of deck. What needs balancing is a deck that is all around good against everybody, which axeman is not. I may have a hard time winning against it when I play with one of my decks, but I win 3/4 of the time playing against it when I use one of my other decks.

Last edited:
Guys? Why everyone here fights?

I believe this kind of posts are the best for giving balance to the game. We must give our impressions about how to develope this as a good card game. If the first guy believes that Skellige is unbalanced... well... let him comment, dont attack him.

2) I believe Skellige is way too unbalanced too ahahaha. Hjalmar is one of the most POW cards on game with 13 points and getting +10 for killing the giant? Really? With a perfect matched leader combo? FOR REAL? ... It's imposible to win a game against a Hjalmar on hand. At least imposible to win 2nd and 3rd rounds, unless you have one of the 3 cards that can demote him... and then u still have to destroy it. Double trouble.

3) Infinite resurection maidens are way too unbalanced. I play northern realms, and summon constantly T.Infantrymans and Blue Stripes comandoes, but NOTHING compares with a single card that gets destroyed and resurrected (combo included) again... and again... and again and again... and again and again and again and again and again and again... andagainandagainandagaindandagainandagainandaagin... I guess the maiden's resurrection should be limited at 2 (If it goes to the graveyard from your board it could get doomed) .... So it still gives you a probable win on one or two rounds, but not forever...

Hjalmar is fine. Not only was he toned down on power, now he's actually vulnerable to getting lord of undvik locked. I'd go as far as to say that he should be back to 15 original strength, actually.

Not sure who the infinite resurrection maidens are, but if you mean queensguard, then come on, the archtype has seen enough nerfing as it is. It's fine right now. Even if you don't have the counters to the ressing, you can actually just outrun them unless you're fighting against a khambi deck, which still needs to set it all up and pray that you don't have higher golds than him or your own shackles.

SK honestly feels fine to me right now.

Top Bottom