How to counter NG reveal Decks?

+
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, mostly read the patchnotes and complains about SK and NG.

It seems like I couldn't post a new threads in "Gameplay" since I just "registered" but I failed to find a disscusion/thread about how to counter NG reveal Deck elsewhere. Could someone post it for me so I can get some advice on it?

I have played 250 hours in last 2-3 Months, I knew SK was strong and etc., but for me that was acceptable. But it is extremely frustrating recently to play against NG reveal Deck, I have the feeling that, I couldn't really do anything against them.

They don't play much Units and they could very often remove yours, and "random" reveal is not that random, since they have tons of Tactics in their deck, the only thing they have to do is to make sure Tibor/Golem is in Deck and have Xarthisus+Triss+Yennefer. So bascially they need 0 setup on board, which makes me feel really powerless, could anyone give me any tips on how to play against it?

btw I'm playing NR most of the times, haven't collected enough cards for other factions.

Thank you!

I'm not really an NR player, and I don't know what decks you play, but going wide with frigates/draug and keeping Baron/Heatwave for their big R3 boosts should do the job. NG is about the only faction I see that can use Ciri Nova decks effectively (it's almost like the card was reworked with NG in mind :D), so I would say maybe suppress the urge to waste your tall removal on Ciri and keep it for the 13 point plays that come later.

That said, it's frustrating to play against NG, regardless.

p.s. It is pretty funny when they misdraw and repeatedly reveal like Roderick, though, not gonna lie :D

In my experience, these decks usually use the Enslave leader ability, so when you see an Enslave skill that can take a 6-pt unit you know you're facing a Reveal deck with 12 tactic cards.

Since you know they've packed the deck with tactic cards, you have an advantage - you know exactly what cards you're facing, so make sure to keep track of how many of each have been played. You know that if you play a three point card, it's going to get seized with Amnesty - so don't play a three pointer that has orders or charges. You know that if you put a high point card between two lower value cards, you're going to lose those two cards to Treason - so put your high value cards at the ends of a row where they can't be used to kill two neighbours. You know Experimental Remedy is going to bring back your dead cards on their side, so think about what cards in your hand you want to deny your opponent and save them for finishers or for the last round. You know that if you play a 5+ point card, it's going to get Assassinated or seized, so put any valuable ones behind a defender or wait until the Assassinate cards are played.

That said, a Reveal deck relies on being able to thin their deck to get guaranteed Tibor pulls. Usually they don't have that guarantee until the third round, so try to push for a 2:0 victory. Or you could try the very risky move of dry passing on round 1.

And since they are going to rely on boosting a few cards with Tibor, you can use reset cards to your advantage. I keep Yrden in every non-devotion deck precisely because the ability to negate a bunch of boosted cards is such a powerful tool.

I'm not really an NR player, and I don't know what decks you play, but going wide with frigates/draug and keeping Baron/Heatwave for their big R3 boosts should do the job. NG is about the only faction I see that can use Ciri Nova decks effectively (it's almost like the card was reworked with NG in mind :D), so I would say maybe suppress the urge to waste your tall removal on Ciri and keep it for the 13 point plays that come later.

That said, it's frustrating to play against NG, regardless.

p.s. It is pretty funny when they misdraw and repeatedly reveal like Roderick, though, not gonna lie :D
Thank you for your reply!

Exactly, with the new Ciri it's harder to deal with, because every key card is below 10 provisions.

I don't think they run Roderick now, although last 2 games I lost, they have Xarthisus reveals Tibor from 5-6 cards, Vilgefortz into Tibor is something more "reasonable", butg with Xarthisus, they have 13*3, that's too much to deal with!o_O
Post automatically merged:

In my experience, these decks usually use the Enslave leader ability, so when you see an Enslave skill that can take a 6-pt unit you know you're facing a Reveal deck with 12 tactic cards.

Since you know they've packed the deck with tactic cards, you have an advantage - you know exactly what cards you're facing, so make sure to keep track of how many of each have been played. You know that if you play a three point card, it's going to get seized with Amnesty - so don't play a three pointer that has orders or charges. You know that if you put a high point card between two lower value cards, you're going to lose those two cards to Treason - so put your high value cards at the ends of a row where they can't be used to kill two neighbours. You know Experimental Remedy is going to bring back your dead cards on their side, so think about what cards in your hand you want to deny your opponent and save them for finishers or for the last round. You know that if you play a 5+ point card, it's going to get Assassinated or seized, so put any valuable ones behind a defender or wait until the Assassinate cards are played.

That said, a Reveal deck relies on being able to thin their deck to get guaranteed Tibor pulls. Usually they don't have that guarantee until the third round, so try to push for a 2:0 victory. Or you could try the very risky move of dry passing on round 1.

And since they are going to rely on boosting a few cards with Tibor, you can use reset cards to your advantage. I keep Yrden in every non-devotion deck precisely because the ability to negate a bunch of boosted cards is such a powerful tool.
Yeah, thanks for the tip, I think I have played enough to anticipate a reveal deck with 6 Enslave.

Problem is, since you can only play 1 card every turn, it's really hard to play anything if i'm not running Defender. Frigates/Royal Guards for example, sometimes I "sacrificed" some cards and baited all Jousts/Assassin/Amnesty, then there are still Menno into Treason and Vilgefortz. Since you mentioned Experimental Remedy, I never noticed, if I just play a card into graveyard, will it be banished? Or into graveyard? If so, then it's impossible to play around it right?

My strategy was trying to win round 1 and push round 2, like you said, before they have thinned their deck. But as NR, as long as I didn't remove Helge in round 1, it's super hard to win it with all those tactics in hand and Venendal Elites. I would save Baron if I could, but it doesn't work if I didn't get last say.

But but but!! Now I think about it, dry pass on round 1 is super interesting right?:D:D So that they don't have guaranteed Tibor (13*3 points) and I can play like a normal person!!!(y)(y):LOL: I'll definitely try that next time I play against them!!! Thank you for the brilliant idea!

Last edited:
Well, except they can still thin 3 cards in round 1 and then push round two for as long as they want, since you can no longer pass ;)

Yeah, but I think it's worth a try, their deck can not really push that well imo.;)
They don't need to actually "push". They just need to play 9-10 cards in round 2. Even if they don't win it, they just thinned their deck down to the same 4-5 cards.

They don't need to actually "push". They just need to play 9-10 cards in round 2. Even if they don't win it, they just thinned their deck down to the same 4-5 cards.
Hmmm, or they can just play the cards they don't really need in round 1.... o_O See, that's why it's frustrating! They can set up all they need in their deck, I don't have much influence on that, do I?:eek::LOL:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, but I think it's worth a try, their deck can not really push that well imo.;)

Do not drypass R1, that is a terrible move and probably wont work at all.

The deck you're talking about is not 'Reveal NG', those are long gone, what you're referring to is usually called 'NG Hyperthin', which first became popular last year, shortly before Syndicate arrived, i even remember seeing it used on the official tournaments.

There are multiple ways to counter it, you can push R2 and try to force them to use their big cards - this might prove hard.
If you have plenty of tall removal/resets, then this deck is no problem at all... But since you're playing NR, im guessing you only use Bloody Baron to deal with tall cards.
Well, there arent many NR strategies to deal with it, maybe Radeyah + Anseis to deal with one of the boosted units by Tibor.

Or if you wanna go NG, which is probably the best faction to counter that specific NG deck - you can Vincent VM or Yen COn the Ciri Nova, you can reset the boosted units with a cheap Peter, you can humilate the opponents by playing a Cantarella/Viper Witcher/ Trahearn at the end to play/banish/discard that Tibor... so many possibilities.

Don't pass, ever. Keep playing and don't go for a round 3. They might mill your cards, but they themselves usually have nothing or at least not much. Whenever I encounter them a lot of these matches end with them forfeiting in round 2 cuz they don't put out the numbers. and milling you serves nothing because all you need to win you have already in your hand.

Do not drypass R1, that is a terrible move and probably wont work at all.

The deck you're talking about is not 'Reveal NG', those are long gone, what you're referring to is usually called 'NG Hyperthin', which first became popular last year, shortly before Syndicate arrived, i even remember seeing it used on the official tournaments.

There are multiple ways to counter it, you can push R2 and try to force them to use their big cards - this might prove hard.
If you have plenty of tall removal/resets, then this deck is no problem at all... But since you're playing NR, im guessing you only use Bloody Baron to deal with tall cards.
Well, there arent many NR strategies to deal with it, maybe Radeyah + Anseis to deal with one of the boosted units by Tibor.

Or if you wanna go NG, which is probably the best faction to counter that specific NG deck - you can Vincent VM or Yen COn the Ciri Nova, you can reset the boosted units with a cheap Peter, you can humilate the opponents by playing a Cantarella/Viper Witcher/ Trahearn at the end to play/banish/discard that Tibor... so many possibilities.
Oh okay, new knowledge :), I just googled "Tibor so not fair deck??", then I thought it's what I have found :D

Yeah sometimes, I can't get last say, so Baron is not that effective against them, and I'm F2P player, I have like very few Neutral cards, only focusing on devotion NR, which may or may not made it more difficult.

If they go tall, you use tall punish like poision.
Play midrange elves.

But know this, in the world of gwent you will always struggle against a particular deck, while having an advantage against another. Thats how it is, and you can't do anything about it. So the question is not 'what you can do about OP NG decks' rather, what deck you should pick that gives an average win-rate above 50%.

My assumption about your question is that you want to win. Hence I recomend you to use this site https://teamleviathangaming.com for inspiration. Welcome to the world of Gwent (Netdecking).

DRK3

Forum veteran
Oh okay, new knowledge :), I just googled "Tibor so not fair deck??", then I thought it's what I have found :D

Yeah sometimes, I can't get last say, so Baron is not that effective against them, and I'm F2P player, I have like very few Neutral cards, only focusing on devotion NR, which may or may not made it more difficult.

Being limited to a faction is not recommended when you want to counter a specific deck, but it's doable.
NR is actually pretty decent, so it can win against NG Hyperthin decks, even with the devotion restriction.

Assuming the NG player did everything right, his last 4 turns will be Triss, Yen Divination, Xarthisius and Vilgefortz/Roderick to summon Tibor. That is 18+16+(3+13dmg)+11 = 61pt max. That is a lot of points.

1. As NR you are unlikely to have a unit as big as 13, so his Triss reveal Tibor will be less valuable.

2. He needs to play Xarthisius or Yen Div not as his last card, so you can always use Bloody Baron on one of those.

3. If you do have last say, you can use Vincent on his Tibor, Vincent is one of my favourite NR cards and very cheap.

4. On the first half of the round, you need to dominate, maybe with engines, so you're quite ahead in points when the Tibor reveals start. I recommend Kerack frigates, its an amazing bronze engine that can win games, all my NR decks post-MM had 2 of those and many ways to copy/ressurect them.

Top Bottom