I Can't Beat the Dagon's Cultists Challenge - Please help!

+
Whispers_of_Winter;n8623460 said:
Yeah, this little sh!it was really annoying. I finally cracked him with the Eredin deck + some added special cards.
the good thing is that the game is scripted so you know what Dagon will play in advance: first round he always starts with Woodland Spirit followed by the 3 Crones. Second round he spams Fog and lots of Foglets, in the third round he burns you twice.

that's what helped me:

important cards (add them if needed):

at least 2x First Light (removes weather)
2x Archgriffin (agile, removes weather)

Dudu (copies an opponent unit's strength)
Adrenaline Rush (toggles a unit's resilience)
Swallow Potion (boosts unit by 8)

Lacerate (damages all units in a row by 3)
Arachas Venom (damages 3 adjacent units by 4)

Biting Frost and Wild Hunt Hound (summons Biting Frost if still in your deck)
Nithral (increases damage of Biting Frost to 2)
Ice Giant (if Biting Frost is on the board, get +5 strength)
Imlerith (Gold Card; if opponent's unit is affected by Biting Frost, damage it by 8)

forget about Commander's Horn (you won't have enough units to make the boost count)
forget about Stammelford's Tremors (there won't be 8 non-gold units on your opponent's side)
be careful with Royal Decree (you only have 3 other gold cards. if they're in your hand or played already, this card is useless)

game:
- play only 1 card (or 2 if you have to start) in the first round so he loses the Woodland Spirit as well as the Crones. then pass so you can concentrate on rounds 2 and 3.
- be prepared to be spammed with weather (remove it with Archgriffin and First Light, but wait until you really "need" to place a card on an affected row, because Clear Skies can clear several rows)
- concentrate on Biting Frost yourself (Biting Frost and Nithral, then Ice Giant and Imlerith)
- try to remove the Ancient Foglets asap, before they become too strong
- use Adrenaline Rush and Swallow Potion to have a head start in round 3 (use those cards last so you know which unit gives you the most points)
- in round 3 start with low cards and cards you don't need for a combo, because Rag Nar Roog will burn you away

with this I kicked this guy's butt after a few times. hope it helps.

Thx a lot, you solved my problem :)

Just beat him with the free newbie Monster deck.

First Light is MVP of coarse. But there is also the Archgriffin + Decoy combo.

Make sure he goes first. Play something really weak of turn one. Concede on turn 2. His first two turns are pretty powerful, so that negates them.

Doable with starter monster deck, though took me dozen attempts. Basically use first round to deploy frost and waste as much of his resources as you can, while keeping weather somewhat under control. Just be sure you don't get too big advantage or he'll surrender and you'll lose weather cards invested. Also keep eye for that trio spawn card, it may give him like 14-0 score and then he'll pass. And you want to win first round. Surrender round 2 so he would waste a card, then do your best in round 3. I used clear sky to get rid of meteor there.

No Title

With a basic deck, the idea is to loose the first round because you would waste two much cards trying to get rid of the crones.
I made a 5 min deck that won instantly that include 4 mechanics 1)Weather // 2) Removal // Card capture // 4)Consume

Basicly to fight weather with weather, you steal his foglets, you take a hard removal for his 3xWild Hunt and you boost 3minions with a pot before using the Unseen Elder ( since gold cards aren't affected by weather

1) take 3 torrential rain , 3 clear sky , 3 Archgriffin with the archgriffin, you can clear your negative effect without clearing the rain you are going to spear across his board, so don't screw up.
The rain is here to counter the ancient foglets on turn 2 // Make sure his foglets are constantly removed from the board when he is spawning even more fog ( so you can steal them later)

2) Removals : 1 Scorch , crucial on turn 3 when he is most likely going to have 3 Riders, constantly buffing each other. this can be a major swipe

3) Card capture : 3 Ghouls to steal away his foglets and/or 3 Griffins to take them from his Graveyard into yours. -> thus making this f**** fog less efficient

4) Consume. Assuming you mulligan isn't good enough , you might still face some weather effects. Use an immune boost and/or Thunderbold Potion to buff your minions (stacked on the same row ofc) then consume 3 of them to create a mega gold card.

some ideas for fillers -> - bloodcurling bear to replace a weakened creature by a 12 bear.
- Water Hag to add an additionnal rain effect if needed or lacerate
- you need high body creature to tank the weather for a turn or 2 when needed, i preffer drowners as they can pull a creature on your rain. If you don't have 3 drowners, any type or high body will do the job ...
- some gold cards with high body like Geralt or Triss to mitigate the pressure of riders / ancient foglet

-------------------------------------------
Mulligan : Keep the scorch for the turn 3 , keep 2or3 card stealers , keep 2 rains effect and as much weather clear as possible , keep maybe 1 potion just in case

Turn 1 : -if you are lucky, Dagon start and summon the Woodland Spirit first.
- play a filler creature -> he will then proceed to summon the crones.
- now play a weather clear to remove the foglets, he will instantly burn another fog effect -> pass your turn now.

Turn 2 : that the moment when you are tryin to empty his graveyard.
- set up your rain effects, try to play the ghouls before the griffin since it consume a creature from any graveyard and BE CAREFULL if you play 2 griffin, not to send back the stolen ghoul back into his graveyard !
- you want to win the board with some archgriffins and drowers or mb a gold card if you are too far behind and under weather pressure you might use the scorch if it cleans some riders, do mind that scorch can burn multiple riders if they have the same strenght.
Turn 3 : - play 3 dudes on the same row, dagon shoudn't have that much weather effects anymore, buff them with a pot, then use your leader -> GG

Attachments

• photo142640.png
    photo142640.png
    598.9 KB · Views: 30
No Title

I just beat Dagon's Cultists challenge in my first try, with a Skellige Buff/Debuff deck (axemen, light longships, and my trump card, Hjalmar). Managed to win the first round, lost second round in a close match after both sides expended all cards, and then won third round due to Morgvarg, who came back with 8 Strength (strengthened by Decoy the round before), and another creature card I drew.

Basically, to win the first round, I played a Biting Frost on his melee row where all his foglets where, played Hjalmar on my melee row (so that BF could take care of Lord von Undvik), played an axeman, a longship (which I made resilient since my poor axeman was standing in fog throughout most of the first round), and Triss Merigold to take some points off his crones, and I think my leader card Harald the Cripple. I cleared his fog when he put it on a second row as well.

Something I noted, though: He did not play Ragnarook in this match against me. So either I was very lucky, or he only gets it (through programming) when he wins the first round? Either way, I was lucky drawing the right cards for round one to counter his power play with Hjalmar, but there were other challenges that were harder for my SK deck.

Attachments

• photo143970.png
    photo143970.png
    382 KB · Views: 52

DRK3

Forum veteran
I also had some trouble with Dagon, tried a few decks and lost, till i decided to 'fight fire with fire'. I crushed him with weather, AI seems unable to remove weather in all the times i used it against him (and the other leaders)

Ringlin;n8622940 said:
Use the NR starter deck. If you have any cards to improve it, great - get rid of the Dun Banner Heavy Cavalry and Reaver Scouts, in that order. Consider Lacerate and Arachas Venom.

But if not, the starter deck will do. I just used it to beat Dagon's Cultists twice(I got my black screen of death on the first victory page and had to do it again), and I believe it's a good deck for the challenge.

Throw the first round. Use Foltest here. If you play first, throw one more card. You want Dagon to play both Woodland Spirit and the Crones.

Second round, clear his first and even second set of Foglets if you can, without using First Light. Lacerate and Arachas Venom are great here, as is Phillipa. Even use Scorch if you have it. If you drew First Light, wait until at least his second weather effect - preferably his third - before using it.

During these turns, play anything except these: Cleaver, Triss, Redanian Knight-Elect, Commander's Horn, Thunderbolt Potion. You want the last two in Round 3 to survive Ragh Nar Roog as his final card, and you want either of the first two against his Resilient unit. The Knight-Elects you want to keep their armor if possible.

He's played two big cards in Round 1, and you can win Round 2 with a 1-card advantage, letting you play the final card next round.

Good luck!

dont care if necro- I love you.

Im newcomer. Pls do smth with Dagon Challenge

Im new to Gwent, but i'm familiar with card games.
Yesterday i started a game, and now im stuck with Dagon. My knowledge about card games telling me that there is no way to beat Dagon's value with starting cards. I tried different strategies, but his Turns are insane value-wise. Is there any way to beat him with basic cards? If no, pls nerf this, i cant progress in the game, i think same goes to other new players.

Uhhm halo there, im from randomstone card game. I dont want to think or read card description. I want just throw pictures to table and easy win. Fix any hard match-ups, my brain hurts when i think. Thanks devs xD

gem4ik;n8863450 said:
Im new to Gwent, but i'm familiar with card games.
Yesterday i started a game, and now im stuck with Dagon. My knowledge about card games telling me that there is no way to beat Dagon's value with starting cards. I tried different strategies, but his Turns are insane value-wise. Is there any way to beat him with basic cards? If no, pls nerf this, i cant progress in the game, i think same goes to other new players.

Those are just challenges to gain leader cards. You don't have to complete them all, or even any of them if you don't want to. The main (only) focus of the game is multiplayer. If you're looking for an in depth single player mode, you're going to be disappointed. At least until release day. Supposed to be a SP mode then.

ZenaRose;n8863500 said:
Uhhm halo there, im from randomstone card game. I dont want to think or read card description. I want just throw pictures to table and easy win. Fix any hard match-ups, my brain hurts when i think. Thanks devs xD

Sry. i have to report you for being toxic

PackingMoney;n8863650 said:
I have a video where I beat Dagon with a starter deck that has minor changes but still contain cards that you should have.

Not sure if I can post a link to it for you but if I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzHNRv2vPus

I also have a deck tracker so you can make the same deck as me and try to get the opponent to make the same moves.

Thank you! Gonna watch that.

PackingMoney;n8863650 said:
I have a video where I beat Dagon with a starter deck that has minor changes but still contain cards that you should have.

Not sure if I can post a link to it for you but if I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzHNRv2vPus

I also have a deck tracker so you can make the same deck as me and try to get the opponent to make the same moves.

Well, on video, you used same deck just as me. For some reasons, Dagon made different turns vs your video (like playing 2-power minions on melee row instead of siedge like on your video). I tried over and over again and once in th game, he finaly played (after i made 100% your turn - 1st turn, my turn, playing Ice Giant on siedge) like in your video, so i could freeze him to the win in 1st round, gave up on 2nd and was lucky, like in your video, he didnt draw spell that deal 3 damage tpo my minions every turn, so i finialy beated him.
So its possible, but took like 20-30 tries to the solitaire has come together. Thank you!

gem4ik;n8865730 said:
Well, on video, you used same deck just as me. For some reasons, Dagon made different turns vs your video (like playing 2-power minions on melee row instead of siedge like on your video). I tried over and over again and once in th game, he finaly played (after i made 100% your turn - 1st turn, my turn, playing Ice Giant on siedge) like in your video, so i could freeze him to the win in 1st round, gave up on 2nd and was lucky, like in your video, he didnt draw spell that deal 3 damage tpo my minions every turn, so i finialy beated him.
So its possible, but took like 20-30 tries to the solitaire has come together. Thank you!

Glad it helped you, sorry to hear that Dagon made different moves to me though.

OK, this challenge took me forever. Every other one I beat in roughly three or four tries (several on the first try).

Some of the strats here have their merit, but they didn't really help me out much. Most of them seem to rely on giving up the first round. Doing this has two problems:
  1. It sets Dagon up to use his riders in round two, which if you can't destroy will carry over to round three.
  2. This makes it easy to be ill prepared for round 3 especially given Rag Na Rooch is in his deck
Oh man, that card. The number of times I had Dagon on the ropes and would have won if it wasn't for that card.

First, let's accept that this challenge is pretty much a wreck deck. Here is what you are up against.
  1. Constant weather creation in the form of fog.
  2. Because of #1, a pretty steady stream of foglets.
  3. A full set of crones which are busted out early to try to pull round one in a few cards as possible
  4. A trio of wild riders which will come out in unison triggering both their trio ability and if you don't destroy them while winning, their resilience. Or if you beat round 2 without them coming out you know Dagon has 18 points to bring to bear into round 3. Any way, they are bad news.
  5. Both Caranthir, who will pull your units and frost them and.....
  6. Rag No Freaking Rooch, which at the end of Dagon's deck will just trash your units unless you can clear weather or withstand the heat (har har).

Some of the strats here address this and I think make sense, but they weren't working for me.

First, in general:
  1. Use a Monsters deck and wait until you have all three crones. This gives you the ability to stack up to the first round and take it.
  2. If possible, get Dagon to play the Wildland Spirit, the Crones AND Dagon himself in round one. If you have all three Crones this will isn't hard.
  3. Fight fire with fire. Load your deck with as much weather as possible. Dagon doesn't have any clear weather abilities.
  4. After the Crones, Dagon is mostly low level mobs with the exception of his golds, the riders and his anicent foglets. You can control the low level units with weather, and the rest with a few heavy hitters.
Strategy:

Round One: As said in #2, the goal is to win the round while also forcing him to use some of his big guns. Start with a weather card on his first round, pull out your own crones in response, pull out another weather card in response to Dagon. At this point he'll concede with a lead and then take the round with as few cards as possible. Save golds if you have them.

Round Two: Weather, Weather, Weather. Dagon lost the first round so he'll keep playing as long as you don't concede. Keep him going until he pulls out all three riders, then concede.

Round Three: The whole goal here is to survive Rag Na Rooch with enough points to win. Even post riders, he will still be able to muster around 15 points AND hit you with Rag Na Rooch. If you have kept your golds, have a clear skies, and maybe get lucky with the pull you'll win in the end.

Last edited:
caedem;n8621980 said:
I can't beat the dagon's cultists challenge, everything i tried, done i lost it every deck i built i lost it...pls need some tips for beating it, cuz it's too strong

Not sure if I'm allowed to share this? Please delete me if I'm wrong but here's how I beat it!

Wogawell;n8916830 said:
Not sure if I'm allowed to share this? Please delete me if I'm wrong but here's how I beat it!

Sure, but the challenge has been dumbed down a lot with the latest patch.
I doubt as many people will struggle with it, as before.

Top Bottom