I don't feel the game anymore

+

Raunbjorn

Iuliandrei;n10088761 said:
Can you people stop pretending like playing this game is some rocket science? Guess what, it isn't. You just have to play the right deck, vomit cards on the board and if you're lucky to draw well you win. This has always been the case.

Remember pre-restore nerf SK? when King Bran had like a 45% popularity and favorable matches against ALL other leaders? guess how that deck played out. And before that remember Dagon swarm deck? want me to refresh your memory about the strategy of that deck? Yes, you had to vomit all your cards on the board, it didn't matter if you were going 2-3 cards down, you had a crapload of carryover from harpies and elementals, you opened with Yen to buff your board to 40-50 points and GG.

This happened pretty much every patch and we had the netdeckers vomiting cards on the board thinking they're some tactical masterminds. The game is pretty much the same.

I don't think anyone here said it was rocket science? But that doesn't mean there's no skill involved. "Vomiting" the cards? sounds like you're tired of the game too, bro.

What went wrong with gwent?

Gwent was awesome when it first started. It has completely lost all zest for me. Same games same decks over and over.

do I go first or second? Did I draw the cards I need or not? If yes/no, game decided.

we both know what each other will play.

This game no longer feels unique and it lost the gwent feel. The darkness the hurtful truth reality both good and bad.

feels like it has been tamed and streamlined into blah

That’s the thing, and this is because lack of core concepts, like early game, late game, tempo, card advantage, card value - I’m not saying that Gwent should mimic HS, but they should definitely think about the core, define it and then build upon it. And don’t add new keywords, add one per extension, that’s more than enough.

So because of that, you don’t have skill like “my deck is fast, so I need to play high tempo and draw a lot of cards to win early game”, you only have skill like this “don’t let yourself be card behind”

Last edited:
Babatino;n10068321 said:
I'm a fairly new player (started when Saovine was winding down), and I'm not "feeling" it anymore either. It just seems... dumbed down? If this is an attempt to get new people into the game, it's doing the opposite for me.

Every patch there is someone like you.. making a few new people happy while driving away your existing customers is still no way to operate.

None of the gold and silvers we've invested in synergize anymore so we have no options.

The problem is the entire game shifted to accommodate all of the brand new mechanics that all of the brand new cards introduce... but none of the old players get any of those new cards. So all the people who have been playing, every single one of their decks have been crippled and unusable. It's probably great to be starting now because you can use all your kegs/scraps to make workable decks. Instead of hobbling together pieces of old nerfed units and lose until you can afford the new ones.

Last edited:
Idiotruinsgame;n10090371 said:
Every patch there is someone like you.. making a few new people happy while driving away your existing customers is still no way to operate.

"...someone like you." What are you saying? I'm newer, I don't like it, and I'm seeing a lot of older players who don't like it either. Do you like it?

I simply don't understand the game anymore

Ciri Nova - 25 guarantee power with no downside.
NG plays at least five 20+ units with nilfgardian knight - mandrake and spotter, shield etc... not to mention Tibor and again Nova
Monster players play crones
The duel mechanic is bad because it heavily disfavors some cards like Yennifer-the conjurer
The create mechanic is too similar to HS discover mechanic and has no place in gwent.

Huger powerr swings across the board. Some grossly OP cards. And the RMG just doubled this patch. I think I will take a break from gwent until things will improve. If they improve. 4100 rating is more than enough for me this season and the game is simply not fun anymore

I agree with the topic starter.. It feels like there is not tactic anymore. I sometimes feel like how did the opponent do this. For example one game I lost due to the opponent playing Eithne as last card and that somehow gave him/her last wish wich also gave him a gold card. How? I really have no idea when you look back you only see eithne. I also gave them 30 point or so. Again no idea how lol. The new desktop of the game is also a bit weard to me. Reminds me a bit of old pc games like from the commodora 64. Also where did collection go to? I want to mill some cards and maybe buy some but all I find is deck builder. Also not sure if this is a bug or not but when I play spotter I cant choose between revealed cards all revealed cards except one are greyed one. The one you then get to choose from witch really is a hard choose to make to choose between one or the same one always seem to be a crappy one.

The main problem with the "not feeling the game" issue is mostly explained by the cycle started accoriding law of small numbers: adding so many new cards with such a high variance in power makes the game result totally unpredictable. Basically the game plays itself because it is utterly no setup and basic to none predictable downside to playing a card.

Let's take commander's horn (a fine card by my standards) for example - it was 25 power, since summer or so, is 20 power. To pull a full scale commander's horn you should work hardly for aligning 5 troops on the same row. The rewards for doing this were big, but the risks were also big. Also the opponent could react to it. How can I react to Ciri nova?? Maybe scorch if I am the last player. No strategy involved.... maybe just a little bit of tactics.

Now every unit is agile. Why? Where is the strategy now?

Now there are tons of cards that spawn x other cards, units etc. Why?

In the past cards were balanced according to this power scheme: bronze -8; silver -10; gold-12 (golds were immune). The scheme was later increased to 10/12/14. Now I simply can't determine the scheme anymore. The should create a new and better scheme, with smaller power levels compared to now. This should reflect risk vs reward plays and create a somewhat predictable environment to promote strategy.

Also, interactions are good for the game. But meaningful interactions between players. Currently I play an experimental ST deck that doesn't let you keep almost anything on the board. This is not meaningful.

"No response actions" are also a huge issue. How can I respond to a card like Tibor for example?

rulezfin
From all 25 pointers at the moment tibor is definitely the worst. oppo gets an extra bronze card which is 10+ point average and a card advantage that often lets you burn him.

As for general balancing i agree there is room left for improvement. And when i say room i should probably note it is a very big room.

Wow, I haven't heard anybody complain about Tibor in a while. The only useful interaction I had with tibor was that he + golems granted me 28 points and the synergy with the guardian was so disruptive, often netted me quite reliable 22 point swings (which is probably fine) + made the game go for one round longer but I couldn't find a way to synergise this well with any decks outside of adding NG spy and weakening elements of the spying by having reveal cards in the mix.

I can definitely relate to fodare, I think newer players may actually have earlier access to the most op decks with their scrap collection and the generosity of level up rewards to new players which makes smurfing potentially hazardous. Though the problem itself is not with the card thats been nerfed, you've obtained full refund from that card and can walk away from it with no consequence but its more so the card that was only enabled by that card, for instance if you had letho : kingslayer and the only reason you had him was for pulling commanders horn then next patch commanders horn recieves a hefty nerf but kingslayer is deadweight in your collection. I can't think of any examples of the top of my head but I'm sure there have been many instances.

It's an interesting exercise to just watch the trailer from 6 months ago. Rules, faction descriptions etc. There is a feeling of, 'that's not in the game anymore but I wish it was.' Or, 'that faction characteristic isn't unique anymore.' There are positives too but for those who haven't seen it here you go...

After watching that trailer for the first time I can say I miss those animations. Even now when using potions or c horn I have a tough time seeing what I'm buffing. What I really miss is rows.. Why make all units agile? You might as well just have 3 rows with no category on them. I like a lot of the patch but dislike much also. Such as the sound effects are terrible.. They could be so much more. They should have weight and impact to them..

What I'd really like to see is more effects.. You could have different locales such as below the big tree with gremist.. You could have roots, candles and other ambient sounds.. Maybe the different taverns or even the bog with different effects in the background. What could be cooler if someone plays a big gold card such as the dragon who burns highest unit... I can't spell his name. Have some impact with the play. Like after 1 turn you start to hear him coming. After 2 turns he gets louder.. Then at 3 a large fireball effect.. Same could be done with succubus. You could hear her tempting your unit with each play. I think this could add so much to the cartoony presentation we have now. The sound needs to impact the weight of the cards being played. Right now it's very lackluster. It would be nice to have premium cards showcased a bit in gameplay as well.

hydra66;n10170502 said:
It's an interesting exercise to just watch the trailer from 6 months ago. Rules, faction descriptions etc. There is a feeling of, 'that's not in the game anymore but I wish it was.' Or, 'that faction characteristic isn't unique anymore.' There are positives too but for those who haven't seen it here you go...

A friend of mine started Gwent recently (during midwinter update) . I told him how bad the latest update was and he told me he doesn't worry because the new update they are preparing for Gwent is gonna be awesome. I asked him how does he know? And he showed me this video. Wtf.
He was so enthusiastic saying that melee ranged and siege lanes now have a purpose, because some units will be melee and other like catapults will be siege or ranged. And that animations and sounds look better than current patch. And that new adventure mode will come(at least he got that right lol)
Sadly i had to burst his bubble and tell him that this was older patch trailer instead of future patch,except the thronebreaker scene and that cdpr kept removing and dumbing down a lot of stuff so they can make Gwent mobile game.
You could see the disappointment to his face. Last time i talked to him he was telling me how awesome and fun dungeon run is in Hearthstone.

Well done Cdpr. Nice strategy to attract new players...Apparently you think new player equals dumb player, and you tone everything down.

Last edited:
Mancoon1980;n10170702 said:
What I'd really like to see is more effects.. You could have different locales such as below the big tree with gremist.. You could have roots, candles and other ambient sounds.. Maybe the different taverns or even the bog with different effects in the background. What could be cooler if someone plays a big gold card such as the dragon who burns highest unit... I can't spell his name. Have some impact with the play. Like after 1 turn you start to hear him coming. After 2 turns he gets louder.. Then at 3 a large fireball effect.. Same could be done with succubus. You could hear her tempting your unit with each play. I think this could add so much to the cartoony presentation we have now. The sound needs to impact the weight of the cards being played. Right now it's very lackluster. It would be nice to have premium cards showcased a bit in gameplay as well.

I have the idea, that the cards could show some progress in decay, i.e. if a unit is hit, the card could show smokes, brands (figure shows personated wounds...) and other signs of been attacked.

Gwent should look darker and more dirty to match with the witcher's fictional middle age and its custom.

Last edited:
On every forum of every game there are always these "I quit the game" threads popping up. All I can say is, cya tomorrow.

Mystikast;n10170742 said:
This game no longer feels like gwent.

Gwent didn't even feel like Gwent when Gwent was still Gwent. Ponder on that for a while.

RVG1926;n10171312 said:
He was so enthusiastic saying that melee ranged and siege lanes now have a purpose, because some units will be melee and other like catapults will be siege or ranged.

When units are fixed on one row, there is no purpose and there is no choice. It makes the game more predictable and less flexible. It also increases the strength of row punishing effects. Making all units agile actually improves the game and it requires a bit more thought as to how you will place the units. Sure, not in every game the position is as important, but there are plenty of cases where you cannot mindlessly put down units everywhere.

Actually as mentioned earlier the problem with balacing cards is Power Creep. bronzes are now like 14str, silver 16 and golds usually more. That way we got many huge swings and OP synergy cards thats every1 is using and most cards are not used at all. Imo most cards should be nerfed to 8/10/12 so that we avoid more unbalanced situations in future.

Top Bottom