I don't own the expansions, but I can use them...

+
I don't own the expansions, but I can use them...

First of all, sorry about my poor English, but there is something that I have to share here, on the forums...

So, I love the Witcher series since the first game came out and I could not pass from chapter 3 because my PC struggled to keep a good frame rate. But now, years later, I can and I find it quite unsettling that a bug, of some sort, is allowing me to play the latest expansions even though I haven't bought it yet, and after all the CPR has shown over the years, their composure and such, I can't just let it go unspoken.

Ok, on topic now, I have The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt on Steam, bought it on pre order. I am still to finish it and I still don't own the expansions because I still don't have the time to keep playing as before, and that game is huge... I have more than 280hs of gameplay and I am still on chapter one... Just got to Skilliege and lots of points of interest yet to check, so, the expansions can wait for a bit longer... =p

But a couple of days ago, when I started TW3 and after skipping the cinematics, I was greeted by some screens congratulating me for buying the Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine expansions... Something that I haven't done yet.

My guess is that it occurred because of some bug after I started to share my library with a friend and his with me. He owns the game and the season pass, so, that must be "the issue" because before, when we had the sharing as we do now, this did not occur. Just made a quick test, asked him to run the game first. I started mine and the expansions still showed as installed. I even could do a new game on one of them and it went without any issues, I guess...

I will leave here some screens of this situation. Again, thank you for making the best game of the world and, well, if this is indeed a known bug, i am sorry for making a new thread and not searching first...

The store page: https://i.imgur.com/YR0ZBRI.jpg
The main menu: https://i.imgur.com/cuUCw45.jpg
In the Windows: https://i.imgur.com/yHpoNX4.jpg

PS: My friend isn't available right now, but I will ask him to remove the family Share just to see if the 'issue" persists.

Edit: My friend revoked my access to his library and I still "own" the expansions.
Edit 2: My friend also told me that "tinta" is misspelled as "tinha"

https://i.imgur.com/fUkOQYn.jpg

Last edited:
I think the main menu changes with the patch *hm* At least the inventory does so don't worry about how the inventory looks now :)
Have you tried playing the expansions = starting the main quest?

Well that was a bad idea, to tell everyone that you don´t OWN the expansion but you can use it... your Steam account will be banned tonight. ;)

By the way, I robbed a bank and don`t own that money - but I can use it :D ahahahahaha

Triss hasengold's example was really silly. I didn't, and I still don't, think that reporting this issue was a bad idea at any time, not even now. I am not in fear of being 'banned" for something that I haven't done and even more because I am bringing this to awareness of CPR. Don't you think they deserve at least that? To know what's going on with their game after all what they done and show? I do, and here I am...

DaSamas got the ideia right. Thank you for that.

Jehane, yes, i can start a new game with the expansions alone. here are some screens after I chose any of them:

https://i.imgur.com/77mE2E7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CjPK3I7.jpg

It is because since you got them installed because of family sharing, the files are still there, despite no longer using family share. The game doesn't use DRM, even on Steam, so there is nothing there to prevent you from playing the expansions since the files for the expansions got installed during family share.

In order to prevent you from playing the expansions is CD Projekt would have to include DRM on the game and each of the expansions to prevent people from playing the expansions if they do not own them.

So what you are seeing is normal and is not a problem actually. The only way for you to not have the expansion content at this time is for you to manually delete the expansion content. Not sure if that is possible without messing up rest of the game. Might just have to delete the game entirely and then redownload again to get rid of the expansion content.

I understand now and the DRM explanation makes sense to me. But then again, as far as I know, FS does not include the DLCs you got from sharing into your own owned games. Take this as an example, I own Borderlands 2 and many of it's DLCs, but my girlfriend doesn't. And on her side, she seems to see only what she owns and the extra stuff that is mine will not get mixed with hers. I hope I am making sense...

When I get home from work I will reinstall the game and I guess I see the fault here... It's about family share, three account's and the same computer. My friend lives far away, my girlfriend and I use the same PC occasionally and she also have access to my friend's library... I understand what caused this now... I think this is what people call an "exploit"... Later tonight, I will fix this here, but the issue will still persist, probably, elsewhere...

Well yeah it's quite like the first guy said that you basicaly tell us that you own the files, while you didn't pay for them :p Ofcourse since the Game is DRM-free, you can just copy-paste the folders with the content of the expansions and play them "for free". Judging by the pictures alone, you have the files of the expansions, but Steam doesn't show the expansion, which can only mean for me, that you got the folders for the expansions from another source.

You mentioned Steams Family Share, so this might be the ""problem"", but I wouldn't worry about that then.

Guest 2364765

That's because "owning" DLCs on PCs goes just as far as having appropriate files downloaded. There's no DRM or online check of any sorts to determine whether given account is entitled to the content.

If you have downloaded DLC files because copy you used via family share owned them, your local copy will behave just fine.

To "revoke" your access you'd have to manually remove "EP1" and "bob" folders inside DLC folder.

Probably it's no different on PS4 and Xbone - if you login into account that has full game, download the DLCs and login back into account with only base game you will still be able to access them.

Top Bottom