I keep dying

+
I keep dying

Hey everyone!

I am having some issues in Witcher 1. I have gotten as far as the city that has been plagued (can't remember name atm aha), and I don't know how I beat the dog boss. I came out of the sewers, and I found the detective.

So my first question is:
I don't understand what has happened in the plot so far! I get that I am looking for the Professor, and he is leader of a group of bandits named Salamandra? He has also hired a mage? And now I am in this city trying to figure out who jailed me? Could someone just give me a quick summary! Thanks!

The second question is:
How the hell do I stop dying. Whenever I run into these bandits around town, I keep dying. I have to keep running to guards so I don't die! Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

I won't summarize the story for you, it will start coming together as you progress. Just have to be patient here haha! Remember, Geralt has amnesia so he's confused too! As far as dying alot, I remember my first playthrough was roughhh!!! The act1 boss is still in my opinion the hardest in the game but your past that, so congratulations lol My suggestions are allocate some skill points into the following; Group Steel, Group Silver, Igni, Endurance, Intellegence and Strength. Once you start rolling, its good to get some points into Strong Silver/Steel as this will really help in boss fights and crazy monsters like Royal Wyverns lol On intellegence, its also good to get the alchemy perk, because you can make some good money to start you off as well have more ingredients to make potions. Speaking of which, Witcher 1 is a alchemy game more than a fighting game at times lol Make sure to save alot and when you know your about to fight a swarm of foes, try to get a blade coating on the sword of choice as well as use blizzard and swallow. Every fight I try to get a blade coating on and if I dont have one, use a sharpener like "Whelt stones" and then ready a Blizzard/Swallow for the fight. Hope this helps! Good luck to you! Take it slow and enjoy the game, don't rush it and if you die repeatedly somewhere, go find something else if nothing is working and go back to it later. See ya!

Last edited:

Guest 2081505

How the hell do I stop dying. Whenever I run into these bandits around town, I keep dying. I have to keep running to guards so I don't die! Any tips would be great!

The most important rule if Geralt is fighting against a group of enemies:

Keep moving!

It's no good idea to have Geralt surrounded by villains. But Geralt is extremely mobile. And: In the early stages of Geralt's Witcher career Aard is your friend.

The evasive moves are managed with a double tap of the movement keys W, A, S and D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which difficulty level are you playing on? In Medium difficulty, you should not have any special problems with the Salamandra bandits, except if they appear in large quantities.

How many skill points have you spent in Sword Techniques? Even if you want to specialize in magic, it is a really good idea buying all the talents of the firstt three levels of your physical attributes talent trees (Strength, Dexterity and Resistance) and picking all the bronze talents for the six Sword Techniques. With all these talents, you will have a lot of accuracy, dodge and damages bonus which will make combats easier.

Are you timing properly your combo attacks? Are you using the right sword against the bandits (steel sword)? I suppose that the answer is "yes", because if you were doing it wrongly, reaching the Act 2 would have been very difficult.

As it has been already said, the Aard sign is your friend in every combat. Position yourself with evasive moves (double tap of movement keys) to an advantageous position where you can only be hit by one or two enemies. Use Aard to stun them or keep them away from you, and run if you exhaust your stamina. Also, with a combination of Aard and Igni, you should be able to keep the enemies away and kill them with fire. Brew and drink a potion that improves your stamina regeneration rate and you will have an easier time using signs in combat.

Lastly, and I think maybe this is your problem...are you fighting the bandits using the Group style? I ask that because, until now, maybe you have been fighting using only Fast and Strong styles, as there is no special necessity to use Group style (drowners can be defeated using Fast style even when they appear in large groups), but the Salamander bandits can hit you pretty hard if you became surrounded by a group of them and you are fighting them using only Fast style, because you won't kill them fats enough to avoid suffering damage inflicted by multiple opponents. In fact, my most common deaths playing "The Witcher" were being surrounded a mob of humanoid enemies (Salamander bandits, Scoia'tael warriors...) and being unable to use Group style properly, as I ended receiving much more damage than I was inflicting.

Last edited:
The first witcher isn't very forgiving with the difficulty. I remember a couple times where I was forced into an encounter where I was obviously too weak. You never know when you're against an opponent you're going to have a hard time with and unable to go back and train your skills. You should often save before following a quest. If you think you can't handle it you can go smoke some drowner fools for xp

From my little experience (I've reroll the Witcher 1 for 2 times : this is my third one, thank to the Witcher 3 ^^) there are some little easy points to follow regarding the fights to make things easier :

- your skills => first of all is the Vitality, the more vitality you have, the more resistant you'll become. :geraltthatsgood: Look for any skill that improves your vitality (mainly Stamina branch).

- the signs => Aard is a good-to-spam sign during fights since you can stun opponents, and finish at least one per launch. That are easy kills to not miss :smiling2:

- your skills 2 => don't waste your points uselessly ! there is a lot of combinations depending on what you want to do / become. If you want to break numerous ennemies then you should put points on main categories of both Group styles to unblock all sequences of hits, then put points on +% of damages on these 2 branches. DON'T NECESSARY UNBLOCK ALL ABILITIES ! For exemple ; do not unblock the damages on fire when you don't use the IGNI sign in fight......

- train to escape
=> during fights, you should never be surrounded ! train to escape during easy fights. The group styles should be used with lateral attacks, not by being in middle of the fight : opponenents can counter attack and you'll bit hit and your sequences will be interrupted !!! :what:

Try with these some tips, then let us know ? ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom