i7-3930k limiting in Witcher 3?

+
Hello,

Yesterday I bought Witcher 3 (Steam).

I have an old i7-3930k running at 4,3Ghz and an HD7870 which will be upgraded to a Vega 56 the next days. There are also 48GB of RAM, Win10 and a Xbox360 Gamepad.

I know my system is old but I would have expected that it is the graphics card which will limit the FPS, so I thought I will upgrade my system one last time with a Vega 56.

To my surprise I only get 24-27fps in the game (HD7870), even with low graphics. It doesn't matter if the resolution is 1280x720 or 2560x1440. The only thing that changes is the load of the graphic cards (30-80%) but it never reaches 100%.

CPU load is at about 20%, BUT there is ONE core always running at 80-100%!

What could be the problem? I have seen this game even running on slower CPUs.

Thank you very much!

hornetjoe

The HD 7870 is exactly the minimum requirement for this game. Framerates between 24 and 27 on low settings are kinda what you‘d expect. Besides, TW3 isn‘t really the type of game, where you need 50+ fps and 24fps is enough for smooth movements.

Even if your CPU is decent, the GPU will limit the performance. So you won‘t be able to get the maximum out of your CPU. But of course, you can continue experimenting with the ingame settings: limit the max framerate to 30, change vsync settings, disable hairworks and lower the resolution and stuff like that. However, hardware improvements are probably the easiest solution.

Hello devivre,

I know that the HD7870 complies to the minimum. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure it's not the limiting factor. Why? Well, no matter how I set graphics, FPS stay the same. While GPU load at 2560x1440 is about 80% it's way less than 50% at 1280x720, but FPS keep 26. In the menu I get the full 60fps. GPU load should be 99-100% normally as long as fps are below 60, shouldn't it?

regards,

hornetjoe
Post automatically merged:

UPDATE:

I have tried to install a copy of a friend: V 1.31. This one works fine with 99% GPU load and >30fps.

So why doesn't the steam version work which is 1.32?! :cry:
Post automatically merged:

Solution: Change compatibility to Windows 7 in the steam-game-directory and start game manually.

Works fine now!

Last edited:
Top Bottom