Increased Lod

+
Kayhan2000;n8575670 said:
Then it means, that it would be possible to have Brown Roofs (E3) and in the distance it won't change colour if someone made it?

Do they change color now? Because I didn't notice it happening if you start riding from the same spot where E3 video starts - those roofs are already brown.

VedmakOfOld;n8578920 said:
Do they change color now? Because I didn't notice it happening if you start riding from the same spot where E3 video starts - those roofs are already brown.

It is more about when people make mods that changes the color of structures. For example, i made a mod that makes outdoor wood structures appear more weathered and less yellow. But it only looked good up close. When a structure is seen from a distance, it showed the vanilla colors until I get close enough and it would change to the modded color. Very ugly effect.
This mod will reduce or completely remove that problem.

WalteriusMaximus;n8579980 said:
It is more about when people make mods that changes the color of structures. For example, i made a mod that makes outdoor wood structures appear more weathered and less yellow. But it only looked good up close. When a structure is seen from a distance, it showed the vanilla colors until I get close enough and it would change to the modded color. Very ugly effect.

I recall that this was what prevented many texture mods from being done - new textures loaded only at close distances and got swapped at farther distances. However I have not noticed this effect using HalkHoganPL 's texture mod with those E3 tiles which is why I sked if this issue still persists.

VedmakOfOld;n8580030 said:
I recall that this was what prevented many texture mods from being done - new textures loaded only at close distances and got swapped at farther distances. However I have not noticed this effect using HalkHoganPL 's texture mod with those E3 tiles which is why I sked if this issue still persists.

In truth, Halk's mod suffered from the same problem which is in part why he changed the roof tiles back to vanilla red.

WalteriusMaximus;n8579980 said:
Not completely.
Almost every building has own proxy texture, that cannot be edited. You can only create them from scratch because you can't uncook them. All proxy textures are 278, including about 100 from Novigrad. Creating them all over again would take a very, very long time. This is a big challenge.

HalkHoganPL;n8581320 said:
Not completely.
Almost every building has own proxy texture, that cannot be edited. You can only create them from scratch because you can't uncook them. All proxy textures are 278, including about 100 from Novigrad. Creating them all over again would take a very, very long time. This is a big challenge.

Oh dear...well, that does not really leave us in any better situation with this, does it? Maybe I misunderstood the whole thing so thanks for clarifying it HalkHoganPL
It probably means that any kind of attempt at changing colors for structures is out of the question because of the amount of work it would require. Probably not really worth it.

HalkHoganPL;n8581320 said:
Not completely.

Not possible to extract them directly from the texture.cache? Some textures that can't be uncooked can be extracted from it.

I can see there is some concern about proxy textures, it's nothing to worry about. My mod is throwing away proxy textures and using the high quality textures that you see from up close. If anyone were to make a texture mod for my mod, they wouldn't need to edit the proxy textures, only the high resolution ones. Here is a couple of images for you guys. I only replaced about 7 textures.

http://imgur.com/a/8Cuid

Last edited:
danielshihab;n8587820 said:
I can see there is some concern about proxy textures, it's nothing to worry about. My mod is throwing away proxy textures and using the high quality textures that you see from up close. If anyone were to make a texture mod for my mod, they wouldn't need to edit the proxy textures, only the high resolution ones. Here is a couple of images for you guys. I only replaced about 7 textures.

Thanks for confirming that! I got confused when HalkHoganPL made the claim that this would not be the case, but I am glad it is!

danielshihab;n8587820 said:

Do You realize that this is a heavy load on game engine and can result performance losses and high vram usage? In almost each game from a distance are used separate textures like proxy because it is performance-friendly and it doesn't overload engine. Too high proxy meshes also can be hit performance. Also, I wanted to mention that editing proxy meshes in some cases can cause crashes (like my E3 Novigrad Walls mod - in my game works perfectly but some people have crashes).
Of course it's your mod, and I don't want to impose anything on you :) but I want to make you aware of the consequences can cause your mod.

Last edited:
HalkHoganPL;n8593030 said:
Do You realize that this is a heavy load on game engine and can result performance losses and high vram usage? In almost each game from a distance are used separate textures like proxy because it is performance-friendly and it doesn't overload engine. Too high proxy meshes also can be hit performance. Also, I wanted to mention that editing proxy meshes in some cases can cause crashes (like my E3 Novigrad Walls mod).
Of course it's your mod, and I don't want to impose anything on you :) but I want to make you aware of the consequences can cause your mod.

So? Nothing worth having is free! It's already been discussed that this mod will cost a few frames. People seem to be OK with that in general, since the benefit visually is so great. Also, as I understand it is only buildings and other man-made structures that will be included in the mod, so its really nothing to worry about. And as an added bonus, using the mod is of course optional!

Don't know why you are trying to discourage it?

WalteriusMaximus;n8593230 said:
Don't know why you are trying to discourage it?
Really? :D You didn't understand me a little.

EDIT: In my opinion, it would be a good idea to publish the mod in the current form so people can check if everything works and there are no drastic fps drops. In order to not turn out that all danielshihab work will be wasted.

Last edited:
i foresee similar stuff happening like the dissapearing grass when u crank up density and ringsize in the hidden settings...
i hope i am wrong though.

WalteriusMaximus Sorry I'm not totally sure if it will be because I'm too afraid to test it and mess up my Witcher lol. I think it may be if it's just script edits which it sounds like it is, so hopefully. HalkHoganPL Thanks Halk, I know you have a lot of experience here and I appreciate you letting me know. Honestly it seams like everyday I run into a new issue with this mod. I'm figuring things out though and it's going well so far. The possibility of this mod not working for everyone is completely there. At the end of the day though, I've got nothing better to do with my time and even if it doesn't work for everyone, sorry y'all. Works for me suckaaas haha jk. I would hate for that to happen but I'm hoping for the best. I'm not going to put the idea off for releasing an unfinished version for testing, however, even if it didn't work for everyone I'd still continue working on the mod. I would really prefer to release the full version when it's ready though. There's a long way to go and the mod is a long way off. I want to give an ETA on it but it wouldn't be right because I have no clue how much longer it could take. It'll be ready when it's ready, and if it's never ready, I'll just give you guys an unfinished version to play around with. It's not very likely it'll come to that though. I would have waited another year for the Witcher if it looked the way I was hoping it would. I'm just trying to say everyone have patience, you'll probably get it eventually. When you do, you'll feel better that you got the polished version rather than the incomplete one. There's plenty of other nice mods being made to help quench your thirst for Witcher. The process is going but it'll be a while before I have anything new to show off. I have some stuff planned that I hope you'll all like, they're just ideas for now but we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom