Increased Lod

+
MonarchX;n10916084 said:
There is no way someone went through all the game's proxies... The video mostly shows architecture, so maybe it's edited Novigrad LOD mod?

That's what I noticed. Building LOD changes, but not environment like sea, grass areas, sand etc.
But seriously, this is jaw dropping. Insane quality wise.

Guest 3841499

Yeah, it's great. I know dealing with XML files is tedious and it's easy to make mistakes. Novigrad LOD mod had one major tower invisible, but aside from that it had quite a few glitches, where you could see black triangles through some objects. It's a lot of work to accomplish something like that.

When it comes to vegetation, there is this "24 bit visibility depth" limit. I am not sure how and why it is measured in bits of depth, but I am also not sure whether it is why that video did not show improvements in vegetation and grass draw distance. Do trees, bushes, and grass even have proxies to them? I know oaks have a proxy texture, but not sure about oak proxy meshes. I know you can increase draw distance of all kinds of foliage through CVar's, but whether that goes beyond the 24 bit visibility depth limit, I have no idea.

MonarchX;n10916453 said:
Yeah, it's great. I know dealing with XML files is tedious and it's easy to make mistakes. Novigrad LOD mod had one major tower invisible, but aside from that it had quite a few glitches, where you could see black triangles through some objects. It's a lot of work to accomplish something like that.

This is continuation of LOD MOD by danielshihab .

Also, happy to announce to you that we fixed the "black triangles" shimmering.

[video]https://streamable.com/wlyg6[/video]

This just shows single mesh which had problems with shimmering before. If you are not sure which one you should focus on in this video, it's this one

Last edited:
That looks secczy.

I guess I'll buy a 1180Ti/2080Ti (whatever its name will be), because even a 1080Ti cannot keep up with a modded W3 at 1440p at a constant 60FPS.

Guest 3841499

PloughEnthusiast;n10918250 said:
That looks secczy.

I guess I'll buy a 1180Ti/2080Ti (whatever its name will be), because even a 1080Ti cannot keep up with a modded W3 at 1440p at a constant 60FPS.

Even at 1080p, with the right shadow settings, the FPS drops below 60 all the time on my 3770K @ 4.7Ghz and GTX 1080 Ti. I need to upgrade to 8700K and Volta, then run Witcher 3 at proper 4K :D.

Guest 3841499

Lod_MOD16;n10918055 said:
This is continuation of LOD MOD by danielshihab .

Also, happy to announce to you that we fixed the "black triangles" shimmering.

[video]https://streamable.com/wlyg6[/video]

This just shows single mesh which had problems with shimmering before. If you are not sure which one you should focus on in this video, it's this one

Is Novigrad the main target of the LOD mod?

MonarchX;n10918343 said:
Is Novigrad the main target of the LOD mod?

Well, not really. We reworked a lot of stuff for Velen.

The Crow's Perch is fully remade, all village thatched houses and inn houses are remade. Lighthouses, Popiel Tower etc. also reworked.

The initial goal was to remake only Novigrad and it was planned to serve as *resource* for modders who would like to change the feel of Novigrad by changing texture of roofs or whatever to different colors.

Lod_MOD16;n10918523 said:
Well, not really. We reworked a lot of stuff for Velen.

The Crow's Perch is fully remade, all village thatched houses and inn houses are remade. Lighthouses, Popiel Tower etc. also reworked.

The initial goal was to remake only Novigrad and it was planned to serve as *resource* for modders who would like to change the feel of Novigrad by changing texture of roofs or whatever to different colors.

And what about Oxenfurt? And Linus told me that Kaer Morhen is not possible to improve but what do you think?

We may have another look on Kaer Morhen. We think it's bugged, tho we also thought that too about Novigrad's tallest building, The Eternal Fire Tower. We managed to fix that yesterday tho.

Guest 3841499

Are you re-using any proxies from the Novigrad LOD mod by BoostIn4Kix? Aside from the tower problem, there were numerous other.bugs, such as see-through black triangles.

I assume White Orchard utilizes most of Velen content and no special work is required for WO. Skellige terrain is filled with mountains, hills, etc. and proxy rework would probably make little difference.

What about Toussaint? I would love to get started on it if that has not been done yet and although my modding of meshes was limited so far, it was an area I wanted to improve skill-wise. There are also stone border meshes, detail of which improves visibly at short distance and increasing both hideDistance and LOD distance had 0 impact. It could be a proxy, but which one?

Aside from mesh LOD, there are also short FX and light source draw distances. I know MoreShadows mods increase some of those, but far from all. I think LOD mod would benefit from rework of those, something I have already done. So far:
- increased ALL template light source distances and range by 2x
- added shadows to more non-complex sources (with 0 glitches so far), such as bonfires
- increased CookedFX draw/view distance by 2x for all light source templates
- improved light flickering offset for some torches to reduce low-resolution visibility on surrounding shadows
- re-enabled CookedFX for smoke and other FX for many light sources that CDPR disabled

Furthermore:
- cut all non-0 LOD and increased all light source w2p FX draw distances by 2-3x, where autoHideDistance/range parameter was present, enabled sub-frame emission to all
- cut all non-0 LOD, increased draw distance of all quest, environment, level, and general fire, fog, smoke, cloud, gameplay, etc. w2p FX by 2-3x where possible, added sub-frame emission to all
- added wind influence to some FX

I know BetterFX did some of the LOD cutting and IPS added wind influence, but not LOD distance doubling or sub-frame emission from what I could tell. I started from scratch vanilla w2p files because I wanted full control of all the changes.

I can post it all here if MoreShadows authors do not mind because I did use their light source templates (and many more) as it would be stupid to use vanilla ones, considering it was for personal use.

I think it would be a good addition to LOD mod and I could care less for my files being used or credit given. I mostly want to contribute and be part of the effort, BUT that Discord group hates me, does not respond to me, and would rather re-do the same themselves or not do it at all or have someone else do it :p.

It sucks that TW3 fans don't get all the content they could or have to wait longer due to this BS.

​​​​​

MonarchX
This is continuation of work from Boostin4kix, we work together. So yes, tho we are fixing his meshes because they were done worse way. ScoutBr0 found a great way to make the LOD mod possible without having any bugs.

We will not cover Toussaint, since it's using different LOD method. In Velen for example, the generic buildings are made out of, let's say, 5 to 10 additional meshes such as details, windows, doors etc. However Toussaint objects are made out of hundreds of meshes, that would be suicidal to do.

I don't know anything about modding LOD of FXs. I'm sorry.

Edit: I mean sure, if you want to make such mod then do it. Dunno if we will work together on this one, gotta consult this with team ;)

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

Lod_MOD16;n10918667 said:
MonarchX
This is continuation of work from Boostin4kix, we work together. So yes, tho we are fixing his meshes because they were done worse way. ScoutBr0 found a great way to make the LOD mod possible without having any bugs.

We will not cover Toussaint, since it's using different LOD method. In Velen for example, the generic buildings are made out of, let's say, 5 to 10 additional meshes such as details, windows, doors etc. However Toussaint objects are made out of hundreds of meshes, that would be suicidal to do.

I don't know anything about modding LOD of FXs. I'm sorry.

Edit: I mean sure, if you want to make such mod then do it. Dunno if we will work together on this one, gotta consult this with team ;)

It's been done months ago...

Top Bottom