Instant win with Geralt Yrden should be addressed

+
"Instant win with Yrden should be addressed"... Should it? As others have pointed out, there needs to be a counter to row buffing, otherwise those decks will run rampart. Furthermore, Yrden is a card that reacts to the opponent's play and it's situational whether or not it gets enough value. The issue is there is no real ceiling, just with like Igni. That's why you could theoretically swing for +100 points. However, that's not actually relevant. No, what matters is how many swing points you actually need to win and usually it's not that many. This means that other cards can make you win the game more reliably (but with less swing value), most of the time.
There are heaps of counters to deal with fat creatures. There are a few resets, Korathi, Yennefer, Geralt Igni might get lucky and take out two. But Geralt Yrden will take out all of them, and this is too much for a growth-based deck for 11 provision.

Yrden is a risk that comes with playing a greedy deck, just like lock is a risk that comes with playing engines and/or Orders.
Yrden gets little value against decks that do not rely on boosting, sometimes making using it on one's own side the better option (to heal damaged units).

With Devotion now a thing Yrden is bound to be less popular than it was prior to MM, too. It was perfectly fine before and it's even more so now with the added disadvantage that it can be.

Greed needs to be able to be punished, otherwise greedy decks (that also go wide) would just run rampant.

I've been running Yrden since 2018, and it certainly is not an instant win most of the time. It's also gotten hate numerous times during its life, yet its effect has never been changed after HC went live. That's saying something about how "OP" it is (i.e. it isn't).

I play an NR boost overload deck. Not the best deck by any means, but I enjoy it. Thats why I play it. While some games are harder for me than others (NG...), some cards like Yrden basically counter my whole deck. Its a bad mechanic.

On a slightly less biased note, the card is just badly designed. If your opponent does not care about boosting his units, the card is utterly worthless. If the deck is built around buffing units, like harmony, uprising, boost overload, consume, etc, it just destroys them. The card is terrible when boost is not in play, but on the flip side it is far too effecting of a counter when it is.

I'd sooner see it have a decent amount of power (say, 6?) and "deploy: reset a unit" with "order: reset a unit".

Last edited:
Come on ya1, I know you don't like Gigni, but you can't tell me this isn't a thing of beauty:

View attachment 11049281

Note I did actually line it up by using not one but two Natural Selections on the Endrega Warrior.

No because people always work out when I'm lining them up for this/Scorch. Because I now encounter a lot of Gignis whereas I'd probably seen about 3 before. Because occasionally I somehow end up with all my cards the same because...that's just how. Because NR sucks unless you play it a certain way and I don't have all their cards, etc.

(Yeah, ok. It was worth a screenshot!)

DRK3

Forum veteran
I think Yrden is fine, but i might be biased, as i really love it and its definitely my favourite of the Geralts.

I do understand the complaints, and its a good example of how a card can remain exactly the same but its value shift because of the current meta. And right now Yrden is pretty damn good, as all factions have one or more archetypes based on boosting.

Yrden actually removes a lot of the stress playing, trying to counter every single enemy engine, figuring if you need to bleed the opponent R2... if you have Yrden, there are lots of decks you can just totally ignore what their doing and then reset everything at the end - i suspect the new symbiosis deck is one of these victims.

Also, if you want to blame someone, blame the devs, for limiting Gwent HC and its "many" mechanics to boosts and damages mostly.

Hi all!

First and foremost I would say hello to whole Dev Team and fellow Gwent players.

I am pretty new to this forum but I’ve been enjoying the game since the open beta and recently have been playing a lot.

I would like to make a comment about the Geralt: Yrden card.

In my opinion this card has broken design. I get the point that in this greedy meta this is a way to counter the high boosting strategies but this is not my point. All Geralt cards are designed to punish something (mainly tall units) but they have some limitations. But not Yrden.

It generally does the same (resetting unit’s strength) what Axii does but for all units in the row for only 1 provision more. Ok this is a gamble a player takes – either this 11p card will pay of or not. But this not a problem.

Problem is that it is the most frustrating card in the game. You can play your best game, maneuver around various threats, utilize your deck’s potential but it the end opponent plays one card (not a package) that counters your whole strategy/deck and all your good moves, your effort and time is wasted and the only thing you can do to counter this is to rebuild your deck or change it. You cannot react. This not a scenario that needs few turns, this not an order or combo that needs set up or specific conditions. This not the case that you have misplayed, had bad draws or your opponent had deck/combo that outpointed yours.

And this is the problem – losing due to Yrden is not a learning experience it is frustrating experience that can put player away from the game.

I think that Yrden needs some limitations. Maybe it can be limited to amount of damage it does or certain set up (like Tinboy) or maybe it can be limited by adrenaline (new key word) to be played in specific moment of the round.

Unfortunately, given the number of excessively powerful boost engines in the game, Yrden is probably necessary.

A subtle adrenaline nerf might be OK. Something like adrenaline 2 reset highest and lowest units in a row instead, or adrenaline 3 gain initiative on this ability (so the owner must risk it bricking by keeping it in hand).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, given the number of excessively powerful boost engines in the game, Yrden is probably necessary.

A subtle adrenaline nerf might be OK. Something like adrenaline 2 reset highest and lowest units in a row instead, or adrenaline 3 gain initiative on this ability (so the owner must risk it bricking by keeping it in hand).
Limiting the effect with Adrenaline might be a bit too much, as in reality the major boosts (be it single units like Ozzrel or mass boosts like Bone Talisman etc) tend to happen in the final 1-3 rounds. Initiative on the other hand should be added to the card, no doubt.

Initiative on the other hand should be added to the card, no doubt.
Why? It wouldn't do anything, unless you boost your opponent's units or something. Igni got Initiative because it was possible to set it up with pings, but Yrden cannot be set up like that.

Edit: Did you mean Order?

In any case, the card still does not need any changes.

Last edited:
Why? It wouldn't do anything, unless you boost your opponent's units or something. Igni got Initiative because it was possible to set it up with pings, but Yrden cannot be set up like that.

Edit: Did you mean Order?

In any case, the card still does not need any changes.
Indeed, it would only be a minor nerf (namely making it impossible to tutor it as a final Oneiro play for example).
I also agree that this card is fine, even though a prime candidate for the "Most Feelsbad Card to lose against" title.

Tutoring has made Yrden less risky so Initiative would at least prevent people from just tutoring it whenever they need it instead of actually commiting to it. I think it would be a good change.

Top Bottom