Is this game an rpg?

+
It tries to be a lot of things, but never reaches depth in any.
The foundation, the city, the world is great and the story has amazing moments. There is the stuff there for a gem, but it was unrefined. I think it would take a lot of patches and add-ons DLCs to patch all the holes up.

IMO, no... they kind of watered down the RPG aspects of the game. No decisions REALLY matter, you cannot really change any major missions based on your actions or decisions. Action-Adventure is what I now consider this game.

I think There are elements of an RPG game.
But if you ask, is this a well-made RPG game? my answer is no.
Cyberpunk seems to have tried to create a huge, dgree of freedom game by mixing different genres as they are. actually they advertised that way. but as a result, it has succeeded in mixing several genres, but the completeness is too low.
As a result, there is nothing special in any genre.
It’s not that the degree of freedom is higher than that of other open world games, The action is not better than other action games. In terms of the story, there no many options for the story that change due to my choices.
CDPR has given us too high expectations with its long development period and exaggerated advertising.
That's why I feel the disadvantages are bigger than the advantages of cyberpunk.

The promise of a full RPG where your decisions would shape the world and have an impact on the story of the game as it unfolds, where you would feel like you live in Night City and could interact with it and where you could build a reputation and become your own type of legend just didn't turn out to be true. The game seems to really be tuned to be played as a looter shooter. Even the alternative netrunner build seems to be broken (it's overpowered and requires no skill even on highest difficulty). The game plays more like a Destiny/Anthem with a good story and some side characters story arcs than the Fallout 4 "build your story" RPG style the promos suggested. What you guys think about it?

Well yeahhh... lol... There almost nothing RPG about this game. They butchered the 1st act and made your lifepaths not to matter... Instead of putting street cred to 75 and make you go to 25 cred in the 1st act just to get to the hardest mission in the game - the heist, they just pick up a rookie in the world of the mercs - V and just say you need to rob Arasaka. Those 6 months of montage should have been playable or atleast 5-6 more missions with jackie and hell finish some lifepath missions. Once we get to 25 street cred the heist would have been open and if we do it silently Jackie should have survived... hell quit on us, trying to kill us i dont care the options should have been there and they werent. Hell we couldnt even kill Dex ourselves... Every choice was taken away from us.. AND dont get me started on the Jonny chronicles... Jeeez..

Last edited:
The only real rpg's are the paper one
This.
Role playing game - a game where you act out a pretend role. You can do that pretty much with any game. Your imagination is your only limit.

This game can easily be put in RPG category due to dialogue choices, and the progression system with various ways to build your character. It's an action adventure rpg like so many other games. Although of course this is very unique in that it's like a mix of Watch dogs, Far cry, Fallout, GTA, and Witcher3 in one way or another.

It's not entirely an RPG. But more so than not.

Well... no... there are no real "choices" only different words in different sentences that all lead to exactly the same outcome in almost all cases... and wile it certainly is a mix of all the great games you mentioned... it is the equivalent of mixing pizza and ice-cream with french-fries and sushi in a bucked with an hard boiled egg on top... certainly edible... but why would you do that?

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Roleplaying elements, action adventure, looter shooter, stealth game, Deus Ex hacking simulator with pacifist options, witty AIs in weird machines storytelling game and more. Shouldn't have had a voiced protagonist and shouldn't have railroaded players this much. Might not seem very linear at first, but it really kinda is...

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Roleplaying elements, action adventure, looter shooter, stealth game, Deus Ex hacking simulator with pacifist options, witty AIs in weird machines storytelling game and more. Shouldn't have had a voiced protagonist and shouldn't have railroaded players this much. Might not seem very linear at first, but it really kinda is...
other games have achieved more with much less hype (and pre-orders money) though

other games have achieved more with much less hype (and pre-orders money) though
Not on multiple console generations in addition to pc, but you're still pretty much correct.
Does look like many things were cut or changed direction during development.

Guest 4478408

so what is an rpg?
it certainly is not a classical pen an paper rpg, but no computer game is.
the player takes the role of one or more characters, so it most definitive is an rpg. however, its also clear that pretty much every game is an rpg to some extend.

the question is just to simple, black and white. a much better question then would be: "are you satisfied with the depth of the rpg aspect of the game"

If by RPG you mean "Rocket Propelled Grenade", then yes, yes it is. BUT, it's slowly on it's way to becoming a precision ICBM.....and it's gonna be soooooo sweet.

Is it an RPG? Yes, no, maybe. People call the Diablo games RPG's simply because stats and skills. Take the final fantasy games like FFVI (the old one), or whatever FF game you play, also RPG's, with linear stories. But would anyone call the latest Tomb Raider games RPG's? Despite them having skills you can increase and a story, that is linear. No, they're called adventure games. Cyberpunk 2077 has more in common with adventure FPS games. But I think it's also an RPG even though the story, like the other games, are also linear.

Initially through my first playthrough - I was more "action / adventure" camp. But now I'm going through my third - there is a staggering amount of things that change based on choices in dialogue, after finding other things out, and even killing or not killing.

It's much more RPG than I initially thought.

...not in a traditional sense, but I think we're so used to these sweeping black / white choice and consequences in RPGs - that when we get something loaded with a lot more subtelty and seamless integration of choices - you don't notice it until you've done things differently a few times.

It's not an RPG. From the GOG page
This is what I have on GOG Galaxy
cp2077 RPG.png

Top Bottom