Is Triss Merigold a viable option for Geralt? (Spoilers)

+

Is Triss Merigold a viable option for Geralt? (Spoilers)

• I think Triss IS NOT a viable option for Geralt.

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • I think Triss IS a viable option for Geralt.

Votes: 39 57.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if we're going to go heavily into the books for inspiration, I actually think the third ending -- in which he remains on the Path and spills his guts out to Dandelion now and then -- seems the most fitting to me.

In my opinion I think Geralt is lucky to have either of the sorceresses, forget about having to choose between them;

~Triss, while manipulative and sly about how she uses Geralt would still do anything for him - And from what happens in Yarpen's caravan in Blood of Elves - I feel that the gesture is mutual, they'd do many things for one another, and their feelings seem legitimate, even before the amnesia.

However it's a question of if there is a love life there, which I am not sure it is at this point, they're close, but I feel it's more that Geralt is missing Yen, again, and Triss is there to hold him up at this point, and after his time riding with the hunt, Geralt quickly starts piecing together that Triss had a major significance in his life before his amnesia; as she was Ciri's mother figure in Kaer Morhen before Yennefer came across her and picked up that role, and that they had an awkward non-relationship before - She pounced on the opportunity.

This selfishness disappears quickly however, once Geralt begins to come through his amnesia during TW2, and then throughout the events of the Witcher 3, volunteering to be tortured by the Witch Hunters despite your choice of love interest (I couldn't bare it and tried to Axii my way out of that) and fighting side by side with him and Kaer Morhen, proving her selfless devotion to both Geralt and Ciri regardless of relationship choice and at this point she knows that the relationship, while real and intense, proven by her Rose of Remembrance and the fact that at no point does it wilt, or at least is never pointed out that it does, proves that there is very much something there, but is it able to be expressed? Or even allowed to be? - Not while he is very much in love with Yen - Which he is - But she bares this fact gracefully, however a little awkwardly.

TLDR: Geralt either has a very real love in Triss, or a great and very real friend - While she'd rather have the former, she will still bare being the latter without causing a fuss.

- It's what makes her character -Books and games alike - So interesting.

Last edited:
I think that choosing Yen = not choosing Triss?

unless you want to end up chained in the bed by two angry sorceresses

Nope it is not equal. It is about if at the docks GERALT would say "I... I love you" or if YOU would say it. ;)

I dont like that ending. :( I think they should make a real threesome ending (Both of them are bisexual) and all three woild live hapily ever after. :lol:

no, regardless of whether Yen is in the picture or not

too many lies in that relationship and too many conflicting viewpoints - for example I don't think Geralt would stand Triss' "greater good" doing for long - he despises that, just like he despises courts and politics which is where he ultimately ends up again if he goes with Triss in TW3 and I don't see him staying in Kovir for more than a half a year before bailing out, leaving behind just a bucket of flowers like is his good trait

Well if we're going to go heavily into the books for inspiration, I actually think the third ending -- in which he remains on the Path and spills his guts out to Dandelion now and then -- seems the most fitting to me.

Actually no, because the book Geralt wanted to retire. REALY badly. He was sick of witchering.

In my opinion I think Geralt is lucky to have either of the sorceresses, forget about having to choose between them;

~Triss, while manipulative and sly about how she uses Geralt would still do anything for him - And from what happens in Yarpen's caravan in Blood of Elves - I feel that the gesture is mutual, they'd do many things for one another, and their feelings seem legitimate, even before the amnesia.

However it's a question of if there is a love life there, which I am not sure it is at this point, they're close, but I feel it's more that Geralt is missing Yen, again, and Triss is there to hold him up at this point, and after his time riding with the hunt, Geralt quickly starts piecing together that Triss had a major significance in his life before his amnesia; as she was Ciri's mother figure in Kaer Morhen before Yennefer came across her and picked up that role, and that they had an awkward non-relationship before - She pounced on the opportunity.

This selfishness disappears quickly however, once Geralt begins to come through his amnesia during TW2, and then throughout the events of the Witcher 3, volunteering to be tortured by the Witch Hunters despite your choice of love interest (I couldn't bare it and tried to Axii my way out of that) and fighting side by side with him and Kaer Morhen, proving her selfless devotion to both Geralt and Ciri regardless of relationship choice and at this point she knows that the relationship, while real and intense, proven by her Rose of Remembrance and the fact that at no point does it wilt, or at least is never pointed out that it does, proves that there is very much something there, but is it able to be expressed? Or even allowed to be? - Not while he is very much in love with Yen - Which he is - But she bares this fact gracefully, however a little awkwardly.

TLDR: Geralt either has a very real love in Triss, or a great and very real friend - While she'd rather have the former, she will still bare being the latter without causing a fuss.

Nice post :) But what comes of it at the end? Would Geralt tell her he loves her at the docks or not?

It is about if at the docks GERALT would say "I... I love you" or if YOU would say it.

You go by the docks, I go by the books. And, imo, this is where this thread's greatest flaw lays - it considers the games canon.

You're faced with a Geralt designed to tackle multiple viable options, because it's GAME Geralt, a character changed to fit such a narrative, thus making the whole ordeal extremely tricky to tackle since in its essence it heavily relies on player choice and preference.

And that's where I bid all of you farewell. Mods will monitor the thread closely, if it turns out to be another Yen vs Triss thread it'll get merged.

Nice post :) But what comes of it at the end? Would Geralt tell her he loves her at the docks or not?

Oddly enough, In my case, he couldn't - And Dijkstra was right to berate him for it, as he wouldn't ever find a partner so understanding and devoted, maybe not even Yen, considering I am sure that Yen would've either kicked his ass or just left him again - If it weren't in order to save Ciri anyway- But there is something about Yen that I really like too, she's Geralt's equal ~Stubborn, headstrong, sharp tongued and minded ~ On the other hand Triss while a real love may not just be right, despite the closeness she's just too understanding, to complacent with Geralt's conflict and is willing to just let it awkwardly slide - Not assertive enough.

-Running off to a little cottage in Kovir sounded very cosy though.

Gah, its one of the hardest decisions...

Last edited:
Well the script and voice acting of Yen in the games makes her look like that crazy neurotic ex everyone has to hook up with every couple of years.

Heck allot of the dialog options with Yen especially when it comes to her Geralt and Triss make no sense especially how the are laid out in game (e.g. her going nuts in KM after skellige regardless of how you decide to proceed with her romance wise).

I don't see him staying in Kovir for more than a half a year before bailing out, leaving behind just a bucket of flowers like is his good trait

I have the same opinion. (Even worded it the same - you forgot about the letter C0br!).
Like Geralt said in the game (!): He doesn't like to take the easy way.

Triss is the easy way.

Gah, its one of the hardest decisions...

Nah it isn't although Gearalt loves Yen, he can't be with her more than a couple of mounts every 2-4 years. It doesn't mater what happens or what will, one morning he will pack his swords and run away.

Geralt will die alone as there is
[h=1]No Witcher Ever Died in Their Bed[/h]

Last edited:
Nah it isn't although Gearalt loves Yen, he can't be with her more than a couple of mounts every 2-4 years. It doesn't mater what happens or what will, one morning he will pack his swords and run away.

I think it was true but only when it comes to the 'early' book Geralt. But later he changed a lot, his view on the world and his role in it has changed a lot. In the last book he really was ready to settle down (with Yen and Ciri by his side). So I don't think THAT is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom