Is Weather Too Powerful? (Open Beta Edition)

+
Especially Ragh nar Roog is just a complete round winner if you dont have clear sky in your hand. if weather at least triggered at the end, it would at least give you 1 round of time to act against its effects

The existence of dedicated weather decks means that everyone has to create dedicated anti-weather decks. I can't think of any other strategy which demands that kind of mandatory auto-include . But a truly dedicated weather deck will overwhelm the best weather clearance, and that's even when the full 3 clear skies are drawn which seems unlikely. I'm ready to just throw up my hands when I realize I'm against a dedicated weather-spam deck. It just can't be cleared. Clearance gets overwhelmed by the endless spam of weather, and then one or more auto-losses occur, especially if we're talking gold weather.

Yeah, pretty much. When I encounter a player that uses this tactic I pretty much pass. Most of the time this is an exploit with which experienced players get me.

Last edited:
Danest;n8674090 said:
The existence of dedicated weather decks means that everyone has to create dedicated anti-weather decks. I can't think of any other strategy which demands that kind of mandatory auto-include . But a truly dedicated weather deck will overwhelm the best weather clearance, and that's even when the full 3 clear skies are drawn which seems unlikely. I'm ready to just throw up my hands when I realize I'm against a dedicated weather-spam deck. It just can't be cleared. Clearance gets overwhelmed by the endless spam of weather, and then one or more auto-losses occur, especially if we're talking gold weather.

It's a shit deck if you have enough fire power to render half the weather useless. A basic SK deck makes short work of it. So many people in ranked are using it and they rage quit when I counter it.

Makes for some delicious, tasty tears.

Danest;n8674300 said:
The basic skellige deck beats a dedicated weather deck? Nonsense.

It's not nonsense. Look, skellige can bring like 20-30 power with 1 bronze card at round 3. Whereas weather becomes useless by round 3 as there's few cards left in hand so no time for weather to match that kind of firepower.

Last edited:
I definitely feel that bringing back some of the weather proof stats of some units would work to benefit the game so at least your not totally dead in the water without FL.

Michelazz;n8676840 said:
kaalev i counter SK decks by stealing their highest QG card with caretaker

Sure, but that won't work when you don't draw caretaker. So you need katakan as well. Maybe necromancy can work too but you risk making a juicy target for scorch/igni. One way or another these are rare cards on a weather deck.

Michelazz;n8676840 said:
kaalev i counter SK decks by stealing their highest QG card with caretaker

That's great, but what about the fact that the other 2 QG are only 3 less in strength? You are still getting hit for 20 and then you are getting hit for 30 when they bring out halj and roach. Take your best 4 golds and 6 silvers and pair them up with whatever, and I'm making those decks sit down each and every time. I'm talking:
  • Caranthirx
  • Ge'els
  • Kayran
  • Renew
  • Marching Orders
  • Frightener
  • Earth Elemental
  • Nithralx
  • Fiend
  • Water Hag

That's great, but what about the fact that the other 2 QG are only 3 less in strength? You are still getting hit for 20 and then you are getting hit for 30 when they bring out halj and roach. Take your best 4 golds and 6 silvers and pair them up with whatever, and I'm making those decks sit down each and every time. I'm talking:
  • Caranthirx
  • Ge'els
  • Kayran
  • Renew
  • Marching Orders
  • Frightener
  • Earth Elemental
  • Nithralx
  • Fiend
  • Water Hag

well i am still early in the game mid level 4. I faced QG 2 or 3 times and won. Last one was with cerys. I lost round 1 won roud 2 started round 3 with caretaker stole a 9 pt QG and minimized the huge power swing he is planning. Won in the end not by much though.

I think weather needs more soft counters like bringing back units that are immune to weather effects. Right now the only way to clear weather is with one card. Or maybe once you clear weather your units regain 1 health back to where they were before the weather effect. As of right now there needs to be a better way to battle the weather spam.

Can also make weather tick every 2 turns instead of every turn, weather effects (ticks) at the end of a turn instead of at start might also be a good idea.

Or maybe can limit the number of times a weather card can be played per round or per game (1 or 2 frost per round or 3 weather cards in total per round).

Last edited:
Perhaps there's a wee risk of this becoming simply Gwent: The Weather Card Game. Ay, I've noticed there's been some rather rough weather lately.

Maybe it's about time someone made an (official) poll about the subject.
I have a strong suspicion that a wide majority would go for the "yes, it's way too powerful" option.

Normal weather seems fine IMHO. The only deck I regularly see use it is Monsters and I haven't seen many calling monsters OP.

I see suggestions to "fix" it (not that I currently think it needs it): every one I've seen would require all Wild Hunt cards re-balancing. I'm surprised to see Skellige players saying this, as Skellige resurrection is the hardest match-up with my Wild Hunt deck by a long way. Skellige plays round weather easier than most I feel. I sympathize more with dwarf decks which perhaps do struggle, but they can use First Light, it's not as if Rally is bad for them if they don't come up against weather.

RNR and Drought are more questionable...but they are gold.

It's way too early to say definitively one way or the other: we need top players to play around with the meta for a month or two. It may be that all top decks do or do not use it, which will tell us the answer.

Riven-Twain;n8680980 said:
Perhaps there's a wee risk of this becoming simply Gwent: The Weather Card Game. Ay, I've noticed there's been some rather rough weather lately.

At first i had the most exciting games ever since CBT. I thought this would be a better meta at least. Then comes the Weather, the Weather that never left... Obviously Weather mechanics are better than previously. At the same time Weather became (for a reason i can't understand why) agile as the units. Units being agile means they can dodge weather, at the same time, if dodging, they can't be buffed efficiently. Weather doesn't care that much. Yes, for value it matters but when a Deck spam Weather like units on the board then you realize a fundamental issue with the current state of Weather.

Which is, the ludicrous amount of Weather played per round and match. "Special" Scoia Decks use 3 Units! 3 Units and the rest are Special cards For Crying Out Loud, how can you compete with that? The issue here is not that there absolutely no interaction on the board between the opponents. No, it is actually even and far worst. There's one sided interaction and the opponent is practically doomed. Obviously, also, you can't just make an anti-weather deck. First off, because it is not fun. You should be given options to experiment and play with, not being limited by the meta and restricted to a linear path.

So after my initial positive thoughts this seem to be going south extremely fast. I also notice some changes i can't figure out, perhaps one can answer them. Since Weather is basically a spell card that combines many other cards (Lacerate feels absurdly redundant to me for example), and cards like Rot Tosser's Cow has a 2 turn timer (and Vran for some reason now doesn't?!?), perhaps they need to make something as radical as Removing Faction passives.

Which would be something like, timer for all Weather for 2 turns, remove units that can spawn weather plus another unit and i don't know were that chain can go, or add a cap to weather cards a Deck can have or something that you think will bring so symmetry to the meta.

Top Bottom