Issues with running on Linux

+
Hi, since I can't make new threads decided to follow the advise and post here. hopefully a mod can make a new thread out of it.. As an obligatory disclaimer, I do understand Gwent is not officially supported on Linux but the game was working perfectly fine for a long time, so please do not bombard me straight away for running the game on Linux..

Basically what I need is some help on getting game to run, as currently after latest patch I either cant get in - getting stuck at CD Projekt Red logo - or I can login fine and dandy but can't start any game, nor make any purchases as it says galaxy is not running in the background.. Thing is, it has to be otherwise you would not be able to login to the game at all as the services needed to login are not started.. Everything was working properly until the journey was introduced.. The logs does not point into anything useful and all the services are running OK.. Would it be possible to help me troubleshoot this? Thanks a lot in advance.

Did you try different gog galaxy versions?
Also, you could try to logout of GOG galaxy first and then login again.

As for purchases, also check out this info from support:

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Linux.

Hi @devivre, yes I have tried last four versions of gog_galaxy in total, I have also tested different versions of Wine to make sure it is not related to this, but no, but it seems to be related to connectivity to the servers as when I am trying to go into matchmaking it spins the card for few moments and then throws me back.. This sometimes happen for me on android but it throws an error saying there was an error and chances are you're already working on it.. I will update OP to provide more details along with logs etc.. I know I should've done it in the beginning but didn't want to spend half an hour typing to meet the reply that linux is not supported.. Sorry, but unfortunately that's the most common experience when trying to report such errors..

In terms of connectivity, also make sure that your internet connection is stable. People are using the internet a lot more these days because of Corona and a lot of internet providers struggle with that sometimes.

Connection issues on Android you can also report here:
(click on "... contact us!")

But try the suggestions from this website first. This is the official support website from CDPR, they definitely have more experience with these things.

That's as much as I can tell you, unfortunately. Maybe someone else in the forums has an idea.

Thanks you've already helped with the overlay thing, will see if I can make it work while waiting for someone else who may also play it via wine. Thanks a lot!

Thanks you've already helped with the overlay thing, will see if I can make it work while waiting for someone else who may also play it via wine. Thanks a lot!
Did you manage to solve it? I will try today or tommorow on ubuntu 19.10

Hey, did you follow the latest guidance on WineHQ? https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=38775
It works perfectly for me (except the shop) doing so, on Debian.

Regarding the shop not working, I found that enabling the overlay in GOG galaxy doesn't make a difference on Linux, unfortunately. However you can work around it for some items by buying them from GOG's website (not well advertised at all); until recently https://www.gog.com/gwent-shop had most items for sale, now they don't, but you can still buy a Journey pass from here: https://www.playgwent.com/en/journey#buy

(edited to add info about working around the shop not working)

Last edited:
#Ubuntu 18.04
#Wine 3.0

Hello everyone,

I used to play Gwent on Windows, but now I wanted to install it as well on Ubuntu.

I installed GOG (snap), and I managed to launch Gwent using wine, but when I launch the game I am seeing only a black screen.

I tried moving the tutorial videos to a new directory as proposed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/ef44am
But I am still having the black screen issues.

Anyone playing Gwent on Ubuntu 18.04 with wine 3.0?

Thank you in advance!

#Ubuntu 18.04
#Wine 3.0

Hello everyone,

I used to play Gwent on Windows, but now I wanted to install it as well on Ubuntu.

I installed GOG (snap), and I managed to launch Gwent using wine, but when I launch the game I am seeing only a black screen.

I tried moving the tutorial videos to a new directory as proposed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/ef44am
But I am still having the black screen issues.

Anyone playing Gwent on Ubuntu 18.04 with wine 3.0?

Thank you in advance!
Hi
Im running Gwent thru Lutris on POP OS (based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), i tried few versions of wine, only version working right now is 5.6-2
Lutris does a good job installing and setting up GoG 2.0 (DXVK wersion) , i had to tweak some things but game works great.
!
EDIT: Great news, CDPR lunched Gwent on STEAM so no more problems with Linux support.

Last edited:
I know it's been popped up over and over, so in short:

Anyone playing Gwent in Linux now can give some tips in order to play it? Doing some research but posts and info on the internet date from a while ago.

Thx so much!
Post automatically merged:

Hi
Im running Gwent thru Lutris on POP OS (based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), i tried few versions of wine, only version working right now is 5.6-2
Lutris does a good job installing and setting up GoG 2.0 (DXVK wersion) , i had to tweak some things but game works great.
!
EDIT: Great news, CDPR lunched Gwent on STEAM so no more problems with Linux support.

Hi! So if you run it through steam it does work?
Post automatically merged:

EDIT: Installed GOG-Galaxy through Lutris. I had to change the path for the .exe in Lutris since it was pointing at ~/Games/gog-galaxy/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/ folder, and the .exe was in a ~/Games/gog-galaxy/drive_c/Program Files/ thus GOG galaxy did not launch. That worked.
However, when trying to play Gwent directly from GOG Galaxy launcher, nothing appeared. I added Gwent as a game in Lutris, pointing at the right .exe file and game works! Even played a game and everything fine.

BUT, one thing that is annoying me is that when you alt+tab you lost all interaction with the game. I tried windowed mode and the problem persists. There's no other way than stoping the game from Lutris and launching it again.

Have you faced this problem?

EDIT (again): Following this thread about adding the registry in Wine solved the problem. https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/comments/ddm5il
Just leaving all the info here in case someone wants to run the game in Linux.

I did it with Lutris in Xubuntu 18.04. Lutris recommends you to install some drivers in its own page, I followed that as well. As Deus5exmachina mentioned, Lutris has wine 5.6-2 as a launcher.

Last edited:
Top Bottom