Johnny relationship and secret ending

+
Okay, all the point is to not being an asshole dealing with him in dialogs. But to become true friends and get 70% relationship for secret ending, in one particular dialogue you SHOULD answer like an asshole, stating that he f*cked up all... What the hell, really? It's just out of logic.

I have seen at least one post, with video, demonstrating that one does not need a 70% relationship to get the guns-blazing ending - it just requires the correct responses in the scene where one is sitting with Johnny at his "grave" (search YouTube for a post by xLetalis about "How to get secret ending").

In terms of the "f*cked it all up" answer by his grave, I think it is supposed to fall into the category of "tough love" ... I guess.

Another issue that I noted is that those guides that claim one has to give "correct" answers at multiple different plot points to increase your Johnny number seem to be incorrect. For instance, when leaving Clouds after looking for Evelyn, ones "Johnny number" will jump from 1% to 10% as soon as the elevator hits the ground floor - this happens before one starts talking to Johnny. Same thing with leaving the church after meeting Alt with the Voodoo Boys - even if one immediately takes the blocker pills, the Johnny number jumps to 15%. Got a similar 5% boost after talking to Hellman in the hotel, despite doing nothing but denigrating Johnny and telling him that I don't trust him. There was another 5% boost that happened somewhere else, though I cannot remember exactly where - I think it was shortly after the point where I rescued Goro (despite Johnny wanting me to run). Again, that 5% boost seems to be unavoidable.

I found all this because I was trying to play a hunch on a way to perhaps get one more ending beyond the known ones. I noticed in my first play through, when I was talking to Alt in Mikoshi that she said she could not save me because of "too many aggressive meds and too much time". It got me wondering what would happen if I kept my Johnny number and Time number as low as possible and never took Misty's pills. This, of course, completely cuts off all the Johnny, Rogue, Kerry quest lines, so only the Arasaka and Panam endings are possible. This is where I discovered that it seems to be impossible to keep the johnny number below 25% if one goes to find Alt and Hellman. I tried the Arasaka ending with a Johnny number of 25% and a time number of 40% but still got the "you're dead" ending (actually, even worse, since I did not run the Judy and Panam quests all the way, both were destitute and wallowing in misery in Night City).

If I can bring myself to try another run through, I was going to try running the Panam quests with my 25%/40% numbers and see what happens if I choose the Panam ending. Another approach is to not run the Judy/Voodo Boys/Alt quests at all and run only the Hellman line (which should cap my Johnny Number at 10% I think) and see what happens with the Arasaka ending. All this involves never taking Misty's pills, so the Johnny/Rogue/Kerry quest lines are still closed off.

Okay, all the point is to not being an asshole dealing with him in dialogs. But to become true friends and get 70% relationship for secret ending, in one particular dialogue you SHOULD answer like an asshole, stating that he f*cked up all... What the hell, really? It's just out of logic.
As far as I can tell, there are only two choices that truly matter to get the secret ending: telling Johnny you'd write "The Guy Who Saved My Life" on his tombstone, and telling him he also fucked up his relationship with V. The purpose of the former is to show Johnny that V is putting their hopes in Johnny's plan to save their life, whereas the latter shows that V still distrusts him in spite of that, and that their hope in Johnny is a matter of desperation, not admiration or appreciation.

Johnny himself is an intensely distrustful person, he prefers to do everything his way on his terms, and the plan to save V is no different. If you defer to his judgement and give him the impression that you trust him, then his narcissistic personality will convince him that he's the only one competent to deal with the problem and that V needs to step aside to let him deal with it. In other words, if you trust him, he will insist on taking the charge.

This, by the way, is how he keeps manipulating Rogue into doing what he wants - despite her mixed feelings about him, she ultimately keeps trusting him, and that's why he always keeps abusing her trust.

But if V shows that they still distrust him, that changes Johnny's perspective. He realizes he can't just steamroll V like he's done with everyone else, but actually has to trust V for a change, trust that they are competent enough to do what needs to be done on their own. And that's why he willingly takes the backseat during (Don't Fear) The Reaper without V having to take the omega blockers, which shows V that he trusts them and that they can trust him.

Btw ... imo making availability of secret ending based on just few sentences in one "Gig" is a huge fail in logic. From all what I have read on different sites is secret ending based purely on that one "Gig". It makes other numerous discussions with Johny redundant and whole measuring of V's approach to Johny is a lie (or at best misleading). I hope this is one from things which will be adressed in some of next patches (ideally in 1.2). There should be clearly given minimal amount of "trust" for Johny to offer V special end, and this "trust" should be slowly earned during numerous occassions when V is talking with Johny.

Yeah you don't need 70% relationship with Johnny for the secret ending to be available.

There has been misinformation around this. Mainly because, if you make the correct choices during the conversation in the oil fields with Johnny and you've allowed Johnny to take over your body every time he asks during other side quests, you will end up with 70% relationship. However, you could actually ignore all the side quests, only have 30% relationship with Johnny but make the correct dialogue choices in the oil field, proceed directly to final quest and still get access to the secret ending option.

The choices are a little off though, you have to be nice to him and then call him a dick. I guess the interaction is meant to come off as affectionately telling Johnny the no frills truth and Johnny respects people who dont kiss his ass?

Yes. The way the secret ending is laid out really doesn't make sense. Since it's the only ending that affects your health bar. To simulate you dying. Which really should be in all endings. The Reaper ending should be based on the condition of V's body itself. If you reached a certain body strength level. It would be unlocked based on the ability of V holding out. What the hell does Johnny have to do with just walking into the building without help? That's freaking V's call. This is why I really didn't like Johnny after the first play through. Instead of making this our choice. It needs Johnny to give the option.

The game isn't about synchronizing with Johnny. Because logically. The body take over option should be apart of the secret ending. You would be in the best condition. While Johnny is in control. It would make more sense. That the friendship percent would be linked to that. If you truly convinced him to turn. He should be willing to do the Reaper mission himself. It make more sense as a branching option. He got so many people killed during his first storm of the building. It be a form of repenting. Do it yourself to save a life. Not some stupid revenge.

I was thinking about this with the Johnny body ending. He leaves everyone V knew cold. And never answers anyone. The one person he should have talked to was Rouge. This idea of the secret ending would prove to Rouge he changed. She would be the final call for the Reaper ending. Plus, body ending he would pick up the phone. And not just her assumption of him taking the body. Because how the hell does she know how the net went down. For all as you know. ALT and Johnny just took over V's body by force.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, there are only two choices that truly matter to get the secret ending: telling Johnny you'd write "The Guy Who Saved My Life" on his tombstone, and telling him he also fucked up his relationship with V.

Actually, you don't have to write "The Guy Who Saved My Life"... I tried it with "Terrorist and Raging Asshole" and still got the secret ending. Granted I was pretty nice to him otherwise, but yeah... Still a little confused about what exactly triggers it. For me it was just this one conversation in the junkyard where I had to tell him he'd fucked up and I'd give him another chance. My "Johnny-meter" was at 50%.

It's basic psychology imo. You shouldn't always agree with someone to get them to like you, a basic concept for real-life. V standing up for himself/herself and telling Johnny how it is.

ya1

Forum regular
Another issue that I noted is that those guides that claim one has to give "correct" answers at multiple different plot points to increase your Johnny number seem to be incorrect. For instance, when leaving Clouds after looking for Evelyn, ones "Johnny number" will jump from 1% to 10% as soon as the elevator hits the ground floor - this happens before one starts talking to Johnny. Same thing with leaving the church after meeting Alt with the Voodoo Boys - even if one immediately takes the blocker pills, the Johnny number jumps to 15%. Got a similar 5% boost after talking to Hellman in the hotel, despite doing nothing but denigrating Johnny and telling him that I don't trust him. There was another 5% boost that happened somewhere else, though I cannot remember exactly where - I think it was shortly after the point where I rescued Goro (despite Johnny wanting me to run). Again, that 5% boost seems to be unavoidable.

Wait, so this Johnny number doesn't really mean anything, and you get the same boosts to it whatever you do?

Well, nice job testing out another fake mechanic. And who said CP77 doesn't have metacontent? There should be an achievement: Find 50 things game lies to you about.

Top Bottom