I'm sad

+
I needed a place to vent and let some steam out. 161 hours or so played. Love the game. Still got couple gigs left and few side jobs. Just finished the phantom liberty.

I was waiting and putting the ending off until I've done most things. And finely went for it. The tower endings.

One by one, worst then the other. Even though Panam seems nice and all, I really didn't want to leave NC. And I don't like the idea that somebody else fights for me at the end. And somehow the Arasaka ending, even though very depressing, was ok one.

That was until I found out about the secret tower ending.

The legendary one. The one where V becomes a legend. The one where V fights the Arasaka HQ by himself. That is the one I want. The perfect ending. One small merc going in there alone and messing everybody up.

But no...

I can't get the damn ending...

BECAUSE AT SOME POINT IN CHIPPIN IN, I DIDNT FUCKING PICK 1-2 LINES RIGHT!!! AND NOW THE ONLY WAY TO GET THAT F*CKIN ENDING IS TO GO BACK 60% OF GAME BACK (AT 72h PLAYED), AND PRESS THE RIGHT CHOICES AT CHIPPIN IN!!! WTF!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!! THIS IS LITERALLY THE MOST STUPID THING EVER!!! I WOULD F*CKING UNDERSTAND IT IF THERE WAS A LEGIT CHOICE LIKE IN PHANTOM LIBERTY WHERE THERE IS BIG BOLD TEXT THAT SAYS BETRAY HIM OR DONT BETRAY HIM, BUT THIS WAS LITERALLY SOME CHAT CHOICES YOU HAD TO MAKE!!! AND I F*CKING THOUGHT I MADE THE GOOD F*CKING CHOICES BECAUSE I WAS FRIEND WITH JOHNNY AND LIKED THE GUY. I INSCRIBED HIS NAME, CHATTED LIKE A PAL!!! BUT NO!!! ONE OR TWO OF THOSE MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS WAS WRONG AND NOW THERE IS LITERALLY NO OTHER WAY THEN GOING BACK, OVER 100 HOURS, OF THE GAME, TO REDO THEM!!! WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!

Fucking awesome game. But this fact made me more depressed then learning that V has only 6 months to live no matter what.

Chooms, thank you for letting me vent

The legendary one. The one where V becomes a legend. The one where V fights the Arasaka HQ by himself. That is the one I want. The perfect ending. One small merc going in there alone and messing everybody up.
the outcome of this ending is not special tho... you can become a legend without "dont fear the reaper" - that beeing said v will also die in the secret ending like in every other as well... yet i know thats not the point and yeah... many people feel bad about how its implemented... i also have one save i messed the dialog up and still be annoyed. can feel you. :(

Are you on PC?
You can use save editor and turn on the flag for that ending.

Although that's a poor implementation of hiding an ending in single convo.
Should have been a series of decisions like in W3.

robzhe

Forum regular
I lol'd after reading the first couple of lines of caps. At least you have something to focus on for another playthrough I guess. That's one main thing I've still not done but will maybe go for it one day. I agree though that the things you have to do to access that ending could have been easier and not something you have to go back to an older save for or start over again like some of us currently have to.

and thanks manoj_k30, I might try the save editor option at some stage.

The ending isn't that special so i don't understand why it was put in the game as some super secret ending that you have to unlock by meeting a certain criteria, but i agree that having the whole mission hinge in making tmone or two correct dialogue choices is a massive flub. It should have been just based on your relationship with Johnny alone. Even if you make the correct dialogue choices you have to still have a good relationship with Johnny anyway.

As a sticker to the secret ending i.e. the raid of Arasaka Tower, I want to add that the final outcome is left to the player's imagination. Though, the cards Misty reads are telling

1000012169.jpg

In my opinion, the only issue with the dialogue in the oilfield it's it doesn't appear in the "relationship %" with Johnny as it should. Because at this moment, it's more important being honest than "playing nice" with Johnny. Saying that "Everything was great" is just plain wrong...

Honestly, I think it's another casualty of the rushed development.

I think at one point there was probably a more complex plan for unlocking and implementing a secret ending, or something more "Choice" based beyond just "Did I finish this NPCs Story" which is basically how all the other ending work.... But due to time constraints and the obvious issues that were present during development and how the game launched, they probably just sort of pushed this out as a "Secret" and in some ways its more of a variation of going with Rogue, like yeah, the mission itself is different but the epilogue is almost identical with one obvious difference that I won't say just in case someone doesn't know what I mean. But where you as V end up is basically the same, just a different way of getting there.

This came up in another thread, but I feel like the relationship "Meter" with johnny is misleading too, because there isn't really a fully functioning "Affinity system" in the game, it's more like a % complete thing, because as long as you do all of johnny's missions/favors/etc.... the choices you make on those missions don't really have an effect except for in this one conversation. Which again I think is because they just couldn't fit in everything they wanted to, they bit off more than they could chew and released too soon.

Love the game but there are definitely some misses and half-baked things in it that still persist to this day even with all of the progress they made.

In my opinion, the only issue with the dialogue in the oilfield it's it doesn't appear in the "relationship %" with Johnny as it should. Because at this moment, it's more important being honest than "playing nice" with Johnny. Saying that "Everything was great" is just plain wrong...

I agree with the premise to your answer, but agree with the OP with how easy it is to get locked out of a particular ending without realizing it and with no realistic way of going back and fixing it.

I actually like that in this conversation, being "real" with Johnny...being brutally honest...is what is important, what he needs to hear, and what he ultimately respects. It suits his character quite well. He's always respected people with metaphorical "balls" so to speak. It's there in his little trips through his memories, for example, that he never really respected Kerry because he never had the courage to be who and what he wanted to be.

So a combination of brutal honesty and courage to deliver it, without sugarcoating, but also without malice is what he needs for him to feel that V is "real" with him. A real, true friend.

However, it also isn't what decades of RPG video games have taught us to expect. The way to build relationship in CRPGs is to tell them whatever they want to hear up until the point where you can oh so gently suggest something else. Brutal honesty typically doesn't work out well in video game relationships.

So it does make sense that people wouldn't expect that it is the sort of thing needed in a critical conversation that you have no way of knowing without googling that you can't redo and locks you completely out of an ending.
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, I think it's another casualty of the rushed development.

I think at one point there was probably a more complex plan for unlocking and implementing a secret ending, or something more "Choice" based beyond just "Did I finish this NPCs Story" which is basically how all the other ending work.... But due to time constraints and the obvious issues that were present during development and how the game launched, they probably just sort of pushed this out as a "Secret" and in some ways its more of a variation of going with Rogue, like yeah, the mission itself is different but the epilogue is almost identical with one obvious difference that I won't say just in case someone doesn't know what I mean. But where you as V end up is basically the same, just a different way of getting there.

This came up in another thread, but I feel like the relationship "Meter" with johnny is misleading too, because there isn't really a fully functioning "Affinity system" in the game, it's more like a % complete thing, because as long as you do all of johnny's missions/favors/etc.... the choices you make on those missions don't really have an effect except for in this one conversation. Which again I think is because they just couldn't fit in everything they wanted to, they bit off more than they could chew and released too soon.

Love the game but there are definitely some misses and half-baked things in it that still persist to this day even with all of the progress they made.

This part shows up a ton as well with the Phantom Liberty content. You can build some of that meter with Johnny with certain choices (such as not swearing an oath with Myers) that he approves of. But it gets stuck at a certain point.

Essentially, the percentage is meaningless, the meter is badly implemented, and how the relationship system works vis-a-vis the endings is terribly explained and implemented.

How it has been created was explained in the PL booklet:

>>After working on Cyberpunk for the last seven years of my life, it’s always the
little things that stay with you. There’s one secret path for V, hidden at the
crossroads. If the player said the right things at the right time and waited long
enough for others to coalesce – just maybe, they can take their life into their
own hands and go together with Johnny for one last ride into the depths.
But… this ending and opportunity for the player didn’t exist at first. Call me
an unreliable narrator, but I remember discussing our quests with other
designers and someone saying like “It would be amazing if V and Johnny could
go through the front gates, hand in hand, a crazy stunt to save everything
and everyone that matters.” Moment passed. I asked, “Well, could we do that?”
People looked at each other, unsure.
Until my amazing friend and colleague, Senior Quest Designer Eero Varendi,
came to me later that day and in a conspiratorial tone said, “I’ll do it”. We worked
on it bit by bit between our other quests, keeping at it until we had something
presentable and showed it to leadership – and then it was officially in the game.<<

Pretty lame implementation anyway... I would be still afraid that I will pick a wrong line and learn that I cannot have this ending after another 100 hours of play.
I had the same fear when I sent the message to Regina after first cyberpsycho - it's unclear if she survived or not and I was pretty scared I will get to know it after completing all the missions.

I agree with the premise to your answer, but agree with the OP with how easy it is to get locked out of a particular ending without realizing it and with no realistic way of going back and fixing it.

I actually like that in this conversation, being "real" with Johnny...being brutally honest...is what is important, what he needs to hear, and what he ultimately respects. It suits his character quite well. He's always respected people with metaphorical "balls" so to speak. It's there in his little trips through his memories, for example, that he never really respected Kerry because he never had the courage to be who and what he wanted to be.

So a combination of brutal honesty and courage to deliver it, without sugarcoating, but also without malice is what he needs for him to feel that V is "real" with him. A real, true friend.

However, it also isn't what decades of RPG video games have taught us to expect. The way to build relationship in CRPGs is to tell them whatever they want to hear up until the point where you can oh so gently suggest something else. Brutal honesty typically doesn't work out well in video game relationships.

So it does make sense that people wouldn't expect that it is the sort of thing needed in a critical conversation that you have no way of knowing without googling that you can't redo and locks you completely out of an ending.
Post automatically merged:

This part shows up a ton as well with the Phantom Liberty content. You can build some of that meter with Johnny with certain choices (such as not swearing an oath with Myers) that he approves of. But it gets stuck at a certain point.

Essentially, the percentage is meaningless, the meter is badly implemented, and how the relationship system works vis-a-vis the endings is terribly explained and implemented.
The percentage meter is just a progression bar… it doesn’t even matter how you answer or treat Johnny it will grow anyways completing certain quests : /

Top Bottom