Let V not drink or smoke.

+
I was pumped when I first discovered V could refuse smoking and drinking in this game.

Then someone died and V had to drink in order to engage with two of the NPC's. Even get rude commentary if you don't engage with them and walk out.

Then V romanced someone and was forced to smoke. I get it. It's a cliche. You love them. But I don't.

I know it's a little thing to most people but for me it was really immersion breaking. I chose a V who didn't drink or smoke and then had to either avoid quests and romances or have V be forced to drink or smoke.

It not great that it's effecting you this much and I'm sorry to see that as you seem to really enjoy the game.

But I doubt CDPR will sort that out. I guess you could always look away or close your eyes? :shrug:

As someone who neither drinks nor smokes and never stands downwind of someone who does, even I would smoke whatever Judy put in my mouth in that moment. That whole moment was smoking hot :LOL:

Seriously speaking though; these are some really special moments. One is about paying respect to a fallen friend and honoring them through their family tradition, the other is a very hot intimate moment of passion.

If it's such a big deal then naturally don't do it, but I do not think there is anyone in real life who would not take it as an insult seeing someone not willing to pay their respects by honoring a tradition of someone who passed, because a tiny sip is done as a symbol of respect doing something they really loved, not personal preference.

To me personally, having V bend a bit during these special occasions displayed to me more love and respect for the people involved than anything else could've, because these moments are not about exclusively her so by doing so it shows how much these people mean to V. Personally I think they're beautifully done and meaningful.

I know it's a little thing to most people but for me it was really immersion breaking. I chose a V who didn't drink or smoke and then had to either avoid quests and romances or have V be forced to drink or smoke.
I agree with this. It's such a small thing but the game goes out of its way to let you chose whether your V smokes or not in interactions with Johnny, and not drink with other characters, but then forces it in scenes where it didn't make sense. When it's Johnny in control, makes sense. Johnny influencing, eehh okay. Just V, the game should've actually paid attention to the choices we've made with the character -- like it does after finding Evelyn and Johnny & V are on the back stairway. It not paying attention shattered my immersion when romancing Judy and ruined the mood because that character made a point of not smoking.

It is little but things like that go so far.

The quasi-decision about drinking/smoking is quite irksome.

Honestly, even more so with Judy. It really bugs me when she starts smoking a bunch during her questline since she explicitly states that she quit years ago. But now she's back into the habit.

So you have an ex-smoker back to smoking and a potential non-smoker V getting into smoking...

It'd also be something if it were a commentary on individuality, free will, etc. but... it isn't. It's just a cheap, lazy trope injected into the game because the designers think it's cool or 'just what you do'.

Kinda reminds me of the borderline teenage boy romances in Mass Effect, but worse 'cause the entire conceit of Cyberpunk is to challenge such dogmatic thinking.

Or maybe I've just been consuming too much philosophy lately and expected too much from a Corpo-Game.

Last edited:
It's certainly inconsistent. There are points where you can refuse to smoke, take drugs or drink alcohol (I can think of two examples with Panam including one where you can pick an non-alcoholic drink) then at other points it's just forced on you. It does break immersion a bit, especially if you're RPing a teetotaller.

I find the ashtrays and cigarettes lying around in V's apartment more annoying than the one time smoke during a romance scene.
There are useless apartment makeovers in the game, why isn't there a "clean" one without any smoke crap?

i do not smoke IRL as well but tbh i dont get why it seems to be such a big deal for some people if a game character does....
Well, the game literally offers the player the choice to partake or not.

Except when it doesn't.

Which is inconsistent design.
even more if Johnny is a hardcore smoker and part of the plot is that V and Johnny merge more and more in the process...
This is even more reason TO have the option. Allowing the player to retain more of V's personality in spite of the Relic merging V and Johnny.

Even if it's something small like, not drinking or smoking in spite of Johnny's hardcore smoking, heavy drinking and drug abusing behaviour.

You play a massmurder but think about drinks & cigarettes?… :0
... good point xD ... but have better example...
The replacement of implants at the ripper's is ongoing about few hours, visit to the girl from jig jig street .... 5 min - this is ruining mine immersion !!!!
p.s
sorry for my bad english :)

It's CDPR's creation. If they narratively thought it was more in line with what they wanted to do, so be it. Agree or disagree, but I believe that creators should be given as much freedom as possible and should be influenced by the public as little as possible.

If it makes some people a little uneasy, so be it.

Starting to request changes on a narrative basis is a slippery slope that a lot of people wish to exploit. I don't like that, remove it. I want more of this, add some.

Sure, but there is also a limit to what can be done with limited resources and, like @lefouduroi.pr, I would rather the creators have a clear and vision and be able to stick to it as much as possible and with as little public interference as possible.

I do feel that a lot of people nowadays would rather change a piece of art to their own likings than to appreciate the actual intended version. If you want to adjust everything according to your vision of life or reality, there is not much of a point to art anymore.

Especially storytelling. It's an... interesting behavior, I guess.

By that, I don't mean to say that people are not allowed to criticize any piece or part of art either way, that should be encouraged, but to "demand" changes to fit their preferences sounds a bit absurd to me.

I do feel that a lot of people nowadays would rather change a piece of art to their own likings than to appreciate the actual intended version. If you want to adjust everything according to your vision of life or reality, there is not much of a point to art anymore.

Especially storytelling. It's an... interesting behavior, I guess.

By that, I don't mean to say that people are not allowed to criticize any piece or part of art either way, that should be encouraged, but to "demand" changes to fit their preferences sounds a bit absurd to me.

Agreed, it's two very different school of thoughts.

I can't say I'll ever be able to understand the want and almost... need? to change storytelling to fit our own personal views. I prefer getting immersed into the game world as it was intended to be.

Not to mention that trying to cater everyone will unavoidably dilute the quality. You can't plan for everyone's personal views and still keep up the quality of your product. It's not possible.

Top Bottom