LT and RT suddenly not working?

+
I've owned Witcher 3 for PC for well over a year now. I always play with my Xbox one controller. I last played the game in December '19 and no issues. I've recently played and beaten some other games and today I felt like going back to the witcher 3 and suddenly RT and LT are not working for this game. That means no witcher senses or casting signs.

Witcher 3 contains all DLCs and No Mods.

No my controller isn't broken, I've tested it. I have also tried using my Xbox 360 controller. Installed drivers and everything with no luck of it working at all.

My xbox one controller is not an elite controller either. I've found many threads on this and all being elite controllers. I have the Battlefield 1 official wired controller for Xbox one.

Buttons work fine on other PC games.

Can someone please tell me why this could suddenly be an issue when it wasn't before? Same controller, same game, same PC.

The game hasn‘t changed one bit, so the issue is likely coming from something else on your PC.

If you are playing on Steam you might have to configure the controller. Check out the Controller configuration settings in the Steam Big Picture Mode.

I don't play it on steam or any other game launcher program/app. I am wondering if it was a recent windows/driver update. I did install an older driver for my controller and it's working better but can't get the calibration right. RT works now but LT for witcher senses, if I Press it almost all the way down it'll work but if I press it completely in it won't. Been messing with the calibration to get it right. It's super annoying. Thanks tho. I can try adding the game to Steam and config the controller from there.
I'm terrible at setting up controls with steam. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks very much! I've come to the conclusion that the Microsoft control configs for this game just running from windows is garbage. I uninstalled all drivers for my controller. Restart comp. Plug it in, reinstalled controller by Xbox accessories app and neither trigger worked. So square one.

So I proceeded to steam. Added the witcher 3 to steam. Open big picture, library, selected game, manage shortcut, controller options and unchecked both options to allow desktop config in launcher and enable overlay on non steam game. Be honest, I was not entirely sure what this would accomplish but it did something. Also under controller config, I changed a few options for the left trigger. Changed it to simple threshold under the soft pull trigger style and changed the trigger response curve to aggressive since it seemed to be struggling to reach 100% when I recalibrated. Win+R keyboard command. Type ' joy.cpl ' ,hit enter, properties, settings and calibration. Sometimes it would go over 100% and I'd recalibrate again and it'd only go up to about 80%. This wasn't working. Only steam worked.

After all that, launched the game via Steam and now everything works great. I hope this is helpful to anyone else who runs into this issue.

Try a gamepad tester online which will tell you exactly what inputs are going in if it may help.
If that doesn't show any positive results, as in proves that something's wrong, then something else is afoot.

It's weird tho because I played GTA 5 and witcher 3 in the past with no issues. Last played witcher in December...

Went to Assassins Creed odyssey and origins. Finished those games, no issues...

Went back to GTA 5 and LT and RT wasn't working for gun controls on foot. A ton of people said to have this issue online and only fix was changing the controls to LB and RB...

BUT LT and RT works fine while driving. RT for acceleration and LT for brake. Didn't have to make any changes to driving mode.

Finished that game and went back to the witcher 3. LT and RT not working for witcher senses and casting signs.

There were updates to windows 10, GTA 5 and I don't believe there were any updates to the witcher. I have version 1.32, pretty sure it's the latest update for the game. Not sure when it went down.

Basically only way to get them to work was to add the game to steam and let the game set up it's controls on it's own. Then RT worked fine. Still had issues with LT so I had to make changes to the trigger response in steam controller config until I got it to work.

I also had to install an older driver for my controller. It's called X input or something like that.

I'm guessing it was the updated driver software in windows 10.

Either way so annoying. But I got it going. Thanks to steam.

I had this same issue yesterday but solved it this way:
Open the file user.settings in the folder C:\Users\"yourusername"\Documents\The Witcher 3\
Open the file in notepad++ or similar.
Change the value "ForceDisablePad=true" to "ForceDisablePad=false".

Now my 8BitDo controller works with signs and everything.

Hope someone finds this solution useful!

Top Bottom