Main story premise discussion

+
I think that it was already discussed how the whole :Saboro/Blackhand thing was scrapped. From what I have heard, for better or worse, we are stuck with Silverhand. But you never know, they might change their minds again.

Lifepath is indeed now Street Kid, Ex-Corp and Nomad.

Childhood Hero is scrapped.

Pretty obvious they weren't going to have more than one ghost. That'd trivialize the ghost - not something you want to do to Keanu Reeves. Kind of hurtful.

On GOG etc. we have this description:

I wonder if this is only first act, or the entirety of main story quest. My personal theory this chip allows mind-uploading and the Johny Silverhand character (Keanu Reeves) we meet is virtual (he should already dead and would be older if not ).

What everybody thinks about this? I am not sure, story like that IMO is not Cyberpunk but Transhumanist/Post-Cyberpunk and too grand - we were told we will not be changing the world but story like that is without a doubt world-changing.

Yeah, it is transhumanist, as Cyberpunk v3 wasn't well received because it went off into transhumanism, and people don't think that transhumanism is cyberpunk:

"So all of that was set out to do a transhumanist cyberpunk. What we discovered was that people don’t want a transhuman cyberpunk. They want cyberpunk." - Mike Pondsmith

Source:

I find myself asking if people realise that cybernetics is also transhumanistic and cybernetics forms a core essence in Pondsmith's Cyberpunk (It's the Portmanteau of the first half of the the sub-genre's title, for crying out loud...). So the argument can't hinge that "Altered Carbon like elements" are not cyberpunk, but rather, I think, it's the feeling people get when they think of 'cyberpunk': heavily populated cities, filled to the brim with neon lights, while 1000s of 'faceless' people shuffle around in the rain on the streets at night, while danger lurks around every corner...
If that leads to people getting the cyberpunk-feel, then transhumanistic elements shouldn't really detract from the core of cyberpunk.

The 'Immortality Chip', in my mind, would be experimental where it would have severe limitations, so that not every street rat could utilise it. My theory is something along the lines that V is the latest generation of "Adriana-type" clone, who are the only ones capable of processing the chip. So the chip isn't 'world-changing'...YET.

As mentioned by others here, I strongly suspect Johnny Silverhand is a digital projection, a digital ghost that only V can see, linked to the 'Immortality Chip'.
On a side note, I'm uncertain if Placide could see Johnny when he logged into V - I'm guessing, no, for reasons to be explained later. I am also highly suspect of Johnny...my gut tells me that it is perhaps an AI disguised as Johnny or AI that has meshed with Johnny Silverhands' consciousness, running the real Johnny Silverhand's last parameters "Save Alt Cunningham", perhaps trying to 'mindswap' with V, so Johnny gets into meatspace, while 'trapping' V in cyberspace.

The Immortality Chip may seem like the focal point of the main plotline, as it is mentioned in the description you cited, but I suspect it will be just a slice of the pie: current events in the world and how these events pertain to Night City, the Blackwall, the agendas of Johnny Silverhand/Alt Cunningham, Sandra Dorsett, Dex, Stout, Voodoo Boys / Net Watch, the interactions and quests you choose to do, the dialogue choices you make, your Street Cred, the mystery surrounding V, etc. all interlink and form a 'dynamic' main storyline, rather than "'Immortality Chip' = main storyline".

I'm guessing the "main storyline" will be about allowing independent AIs loose on the world.

All the other events people have mentioned are either unrelated sidestory stuff or steps needed to achieve the miai storyline: i.e. you need to acquire the "Immortality Chip" to be motivated to learn about the "Blackwall" to eventually decide if you want to breach it or not.

I think we have to assume that while locked behind the "Blackwall" the AIs had their own "war" and those that were malevolent toward humanity lost. Those that remain want to help, not enslave or eradicate.

I'm guessing the "main storyline" will be about allowing independent AIs loose on the world.

All the other events people have mentioned are either unrelated sidestory stuff or steps needed to achieve the miai storyline: i.e. you need to acquire the "Immortality Chip" to be motivated to learn about the "Blackwall" to eventually decide if you want to breach it or not.

I think we have to assume that while locked behind the "Blackwall" the AIs had their own "war" and those that were malevolent toward humanity lost. Those that remain want to help, not enslave or eradicate.

I'll eat a broom* if this might actually turn out to be the bigger plot twist or reveal by and large.

Either way, I consider this a valid possibility. I'm no expert on story telling but would say from a "consumer perspective", that a grand-ness in a plot is vital in riveting the masses that enjoy your product opposed to 'an average plot'. Less abstract, I mean a plot people can relate to or something that just fits into our current time or future, too. And I think the question of how we deal with AI is something grand because we, ourselves, might face this down the line in the near future and it's a topic on today's or tomorrow's agendas.

What starts out as a 'meagre' attempt to get by in Night City might end up in vast decision making. Maybe it won't change the face of the city or society, but it'll likely definitely result in something grand or notable. If not for many others, then yourself or those people you know in NC.

But in the end, we'll just have to wait and see.

*No, I won't.... if this turns out to be true. Doesn't sound tasty at all.

Just read things about Cyberpunk V3, and now I know why the name "Edgerunner" and many other things I read on the forum didn't ring a bell for me while I did play C2020: It was probably Cyberpunk V3 things.

Just read things about Cyberpunk V3, and now I know why the name "Edgerunner" and many other things I read on the forum didn't ring a bell for me while I did play C2020: It was probably Cyberpunk V3 things.

No.

Edgerunner as a term is found in Night City Sourcebooks, Chromebooks and more. Written well before V3. It's all throughout the sourcebooks in key places like social tiers, fashion, gear, campaigns.

What I think the plot will be like (and hope not, otherwise it's too simple):
You choose a different lifepath but something happens and V finds himself in night city, at the bottom of the food pyramid with one goal: getting out of that situation, being it rich or free from the corpos. V becomes friend with jackie early in the game, does the scavengers job first and get hired by Dex for the militech one. V meets him at the afterlife, maybe a couple of missions GTA-style and then he offers jackie and V to steal the immortality chip.

V completes that mission but at the end of it jackie gets injured/dies (less likely, maybe a glorious comeback later in the game), Dex betrays V (thanks E3 CGI video!) and V is woken up in a dump by the immortality chip and keanu (thanks again for the spoiler!). 2 objectives: get rid of the chip (or just keanu) and obtain revenge from Dex.

Some missions lead V to the vodoo boys (mid-game) and V can choose between getting helped by the vodoo boys (help keanu live) or the netwatch (get rid of keanu). If this becomes like TW2's roche vs iorweth is great, if V ends up with vodoo boys anyway it's a bummer.

V obtains his revenge from Dex and get the opportunity to choose what to do with the chip: lose his mortality and humanity (the chip must have some humanity cost), help keanu to break free from the chip and start a revolution "against the machine", "kill" keanu and help corpos to mantain the status quo... Of course every ending is not good or evil, but 50 shades of gray like in CDPR's games.

V completes that mission but at the end of it jackie gets injured/dies (less likely, maybe a glorious comeback later in the game), Dex betrays V (thanks E3 CGI video!) and V is woken up in a dump by the immortality chip and keanu (thanks again for the spoiler!). 2 objectives: get rid of the chip (or just keanu) and obtain revenge from Dex.

"Every corpocop in this city's gonna be blastin' down these doors after what you and your psycho friend did! We didn't need all this cocksuckin' attention, dammit!" -Dex, Cyberpunk 2077 — Official E3 2019 Cinematic Trailer

This leads me to believe, that if you obtained the chip without being detected (or leaving a massive bodycount behind you), Dex will probably react very differently...probably congratulating you, etc.

This may also mean if you played this particular quest without being detected Jackie may still be alive...

So, I'm guessing, there is the possibility these are at least 2 'major outcomes' within this one quest:
1) the method in which you obtain the chip
2) Jackie lives or dies

Doing quests either way will have consequences, I hope, so going undetected may make Dex happy now, but might have consequences with other parties down the line or you get less Street Cred or something like that.

This leads me to believe, that if you obtained the chip without being detected (or leaving a massive bodycount behind you), Dex will probably react very differently...probably congratulating you, etc.

This may also mean if you played this particular quest without being detected Jackie may still be alive...

So, I'm guessing, there is the possibility these are at least 2 'major outcomes' within this one quest:
1) the method in which you obtain the chip
2) Jackie lives or dies

Doing quests either way will have consequences, I hope, so going undetected may make Dex happy now, but might have consequences with other parties down the line or you get less Street Cred or something like that.
I DO hope so, but choices during the main quest in TW3 were not THAT significant. No matter what you want to do, but you still need to fight the wild hunt in kaer mohren to progress, for instance.

What I think the plot will be like (and hope not, otherwise it's too simple):
I don't think the quest line will be that simple. Though I do think ultimately there will be a choice regarding siding with Johnny in his quest to burn down the city, resisting him, or perhaps something else somewhere in the story. That appears to be one set up. But I think it's just a part. IMO, there's likely to be many parts fitting together based on all the info we have so far.

I read that in Morrigan's voice from Dragon Age.
Thanks, now I read it like that as well.

As @Remarkable2142 pointed out, I think the key part here is if you would've done that task differently, the outcome would also have been different. Dex would have no real reason to act like he did in the CGI trailer if you did with less of a... big fire or ruckus. I also assume they will do things differently compared to TW3. Yes, it might be reasonable to look at it as an indicator or "benchmark", but then again I think a lot might be new or different here.

And I think at the very least, if Dex would be hardcoded to go against you, it would unfold differently if you did the mission with less of a ruckus or perhaps at a later date. I do assume that the outcome will be notably different however, without just fine nuances in the reaction e.g. him betraying you either angry because you made too much noise or in a smug fashion because he changed his mind.

I think the choices and consequences in TW3 were mostly handled really well. There were some political threads tidied up at the end in an overly convenient way, but if you consider every single quest had at least two outcomes, sometimes more, is an astonishing achievement given how many quests there are. CDPR are obsessed with this. Both TW1 and TW2 are spiderwebs of branching narrative that respond to player choice. So this is the least of my concerns with Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
Did you play the Witcher 2?
Yes, I loved it. But TW3 didn't have the same branching main quest. In terms of side quests I expect nothing less than TW3 (which was great on those).

Anyway, I want to keep my expectations low, I've been burnt too many times.

Well. Everybody is creating their vision of the story basing on the 2019 CG Trailer. We had similar story trailers for W3, and, for some reason, those stories were not in the game. What if the trailer is a red herring? There is a chip and there are people who want it, but the story itself is just one of "it could happen that way". Look at "A Night to Remember" trailer for W3. It features a place and a character from the game, and ends up with a graphic demise of said character. But we don't have it in the game. The character in question even ends up to be an ally of some sort for Geralt. So maybe the Dex's betrayal and the chain of events that lead to it is just one take on the story, one we may not see in the game? Maybe it's just a way to show that cyberpunk's world is brutal, unforgiving and is waiting for you to lay your guard down, so it can strike with betrayal?
We'll see in 5 months (Hope I didn't jinx it just now...)

Top Bottom