Master Mirror: well the power creep is real

+
I think the meta has still got a while to settle, I'm winning like 70%+ with wild hunt slightly under-optimized version. So well I'm 9-4 and the thing is one of the games I lost I had played almost perfectly, I got almost my ideal draw and the enemies deck still took me 2-0. People are just doing wild hunt for the weekly challenge thing, that is my thoughts anyway, but I do think it is a solid tier 2 deck just I wouldn't go out rushing to craft it.

Monsters is really OP with the 7 point veil and so many frost cards. Every time I play them my board is pretty much under permafrost which I think is a severe disadvantage especially given how monsters already has so many points heavy cards. There needs to be a lot of rebalancing with them.

But I do wonder if the devotion requirement is even worth meeting for monster. Since there are three cards that require it, Auberon King, is obviously the most important reason to have devotion, but veil on 2 7 power units and thrive on winter queen doesn't usually matter a lot. I think it is one way to play monster but you have no way to tutor out Auberon King, the queen is just a slight upgrade on roach really and there are 5 provision 7 power ogroids. I'm not really trying to say it's not worth it, but there are a lot of powerful shenanigans that you can do with the neutral cards right now, and I think arachas swarm MO is arguably stronger.

Edit* I've thought of some ways to improve consistency, through cards I didn't know existed, though I'm still theory crafting changes.

I have some definite nostalgia for the wild hunt deck and probably the NG spies deck too because these were decks I was playing in the beta phase. Many won't realize this but a lot of the cards they are bringing out are slight tweaks on cards that were removed. I liked these cards, so I'm glad they are back. This and they never had devotion requirement so I guess that's how they thought to bring them back with limiting their overall strength.

Last edited:
@Balgar-bard-slayer
I understand what you're saying mate.
It doesn't feel "fair" to lose to someone just because you had bad luck at drawing cards or going against decks that can literally pull out of their a** half of the deck's cards and spawn an army in about two turns. Though that was more than possible and anavoidable going up the ranked ladder even before patch 7.0 dropped.
If you want my humble honest opinion, there needs to be some balancing or some kind of "banning" mesure or something if the sort just like in LOL ranked.
Updates on competitive games always bring imbalances to the table, I've been gaming for 25 years now and I can assure ya of that, this is a truth you cannot avoid.

Last edited:
Monsters is really OP with the 7 point veil and so many frost cards. Every time I play them my board is pretty much under permafrost which I think is a severe disadvantage especially given how monsters already has so many points heavy cards. There needs to be a lot of rebalancing with them.
What deck are you playing against MO? All you really have to do to avoid as much frost is row stack, and since the 7p veil cards are dependent on devotion they can't run any neutral row punish cards.

Frost is the new poison. NG now even more just ruins your deck rather than has much going for it. Devotion is rubbish, especially with NR. SK is quite good but that's about it. I have yet to play ST (I dislike the deck and all the ME superhero types so I avoid it) and while I like SY I'm not really a fan of swarming per se.

I agree with the poster who talked about trick decks: three witchers, roach and knickers with a boost on top. That leaves them 9 cards in R1 and me either having to play those cards myself which I don't want: I play casual (and I don't have Knickers, didn't find the casket) or just 'admiring' how incredibly good the other person is.

Frost is the new poison.
Frost can be annoying at times, but I wouldn't go that far. Shields, armor, swarm can easily beat frost. Most of the annoyance of Frost is just lack of removal for it, not like purify did much to stop poison.

Frost can be annoying at times, but I wouldn't go that far. Shields, armor, swarm can easily beat frost. Most of the annoyance of Frost is just lack of removal for it, not like purify did much to stop poison.

Just as there weren’t enough counters for poison spam, there aren’t nearly enough counters now for Frost spam. No removal (why did they rework Clear Skies?), and not nearly enough counters. I played my first post-MM match yesterday, and spent the entire 3rd round in a blizzard. I was looking for a snow shovel after the match. :facepalm:

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just as there weren’t enough counters for poison spam, there aren’t nearly enough counters now for Frost spam. No removal (why did they rework Clear Skies?), and not nearly enough counters. I played my first post-MM match yesterday, and spent the entire 3rd round in a blizzard. I was looking for a snow shovel after the match. :facepalm:

Here are some advice to play against frost:

- rowstack, as this will deny a lot of value. Most WH players are using devotion, which you can confirm if you see an aen aelle conqueror. If this is the case, he wont have a lacerate/surrender to punish your rowstacking

- use armor units to mitigate the frost damage, NG and NR have several good ones.

- use self damage (SK) or 2pt per turn boost engines like Beast (MO) or Hamadryad with vitality (ST) to cancel this damage

- have a 5pt damage ready for Eredin, the card that increases frost damage from 2 to 3, destroy him as soon as he's played, this is more effective than trying to remove dominance from opponent. Only problem is if he's played stage 3 Auberon, this will boost Eredin immediately to 6, in that case a lock might be best if you dont have 6pt damage

- what people need to accept is that MO finally has a proper engine deck, like NR or SK, and you have to counter many of their plays if you want to win

Frost is the new poison. NG now even more just ruins your deck rather than has much going for it. Devotion is rubbish, especially with NR. SK is quite good but that's about it. I have yet to play ST (I dislike the deck and all the ME superhero types so I avoid it) and while I like SY I'm not really a fan of swarming per se.

I agree with the poster who talked about trick decks: three witchers, roach and knickers with a boost on top. That leaves them 9 cards in R1 and me either having to play those cards myself which I don't want: I play casual (and I don't have Knickers, didn't find the casket) or just 'admiring' how incredibly good the other person is.

That sounds hilarious I don't know how effective it would be

The three witches are 24 provisions.

Roach is 10

And

Knickers is

Here are some advice to play against frost:

- rowstack, as this will deny a lot of value. Most WH players are using devotion, which you can confirm if you see an aen aelle conqueror. If this is the case, he wont have a lacerate/surrender to punish your rowstacking

- use armor units to mitigate the frost damage, NG and NR have several good ones.

- use self damage (SK) or 2pt per turn boost engines like Beast (MO) or Hamadryad with vitality (ST) to cancel this damage

- have a 5pt damage ready for Eredin, the card that increases frost damage from 2 to 3, destroy him as soon as he's played, this is more effective than trying to remove dominance from opponent. Only problem is if he's played stage 3 Auberon, this will boost Eredin immediately to 6, in that case a lock might be best if you dont have 6pt damage

- what people need to accept is that MO finally has a proper engine deck, like NR or SK, and you have to counter many of their plays if you want to win
Maybe I don't understand the term engine, but from my perspective. MO already have very good engine decks. I've been playing one on Pro ladder, and it's unbeaten so far. And had great stats last season too.

Isn't the new neutral demon is a 3 point engine for MO too btw? Say if you play it with an arachas swarm deck, or fruits deck and you can get +3 per turn.

I just can't say I'm enjoying the game much to be honest. Maybe I'm just unlucky; I'm a relatively new player, and they have made sooo many nerfs to key cards in my collection. Whilst at the same time releasing a lot of new OP cards.

My firesworn deck requires a complete rebuild

My Harmony deck requires a complete rebuild

My Regis deck requires a complete rebuild

My Witcher deck was always underpowered, but is now suicide in the current meta.

I'm running out of decks I enjoy playing at this point.

I have a dwarf deck o_O

I went over to the dark side in frustration and made a SK Great Swords Deck similar to what everyone else plays and it's really shown up how stale this game is becoming:

I played two games yesterday against ST where R1 the exact first 7 to 8 cards were played in the exact same order creating an identical sequence of plays and counter plays. CARD FOR CARD! Is this fun for people?

And my complaint isn't about not being competitive. My MO insects deck (which I main) is still unbeaten on pro ladder this season, but this game isn't fun in its current state.

No one wants one deck to rule them all. But by releasing sooooo many OP cards and being heavy on the nerfs, deck variety has been reduced not increased.

Basically I feel like saying fuck it.

Maybe I'm just dense... Everyone, including me up to a point, complains about how OP certain decks are, and how its no fun to play against the same decks over and over. I relaized today, that part of the fun for me is creating a deck that can be competitive against a wide variety of opponents, whether they are running a Meta net deck, or one of the current OP decks. Experimnentation is becoming the key now, trying to find the perfect answer from each faction, and without playing too many of the decks I am trying to beat. You have to play a few of them to plan strategies after all.

Since Master Mirror came out, and the new season started, I have played 59 matches and won 19 of them. This while playing 21 different decks across 5 different factions. I am not winning a lot as yet, but I actually am having fun trying to fogure stuff out. My favorite card so far is Ethereal, especially agains those frost decks from MO. Skellige is fun again, especially without muli-playing Greatswords (1 or 2 a match is all). NR has become my favorite I think, though I am having the least amount of success with it as yet.

Main thing for me has been finding out what I want to achieve and just trying new things and enjoying myself.

My firesworn deck requires a complete rebuild

My Harmony deck requires a complete rebuild

My Regis deck requires a complete rebuild

My Witcher deck was always underpowered, but is now suicide in the current meta.

I'm running out of decks I enjoy playing at this point.

I have a dwarf deck o_O

Well you could see the game pushing completely new archetypes from the get go when you realised it wasn't giving anything to promote existing archetypes. I think it's fine, just don't waste too much time making your own decks, it's fine to take other peoples decks. It took me 4 hours to draft up a deck and a whole lot of mathematics (simple but needed).

Guest 4368268

Sorry, but if you get blown out by Frost Monsters you must just not be playing a very good deck yourself.
I don't know if you're new/have all the card pool available to you, but it's not even close to being 'overpowered' but like I said, maybe relative to the cards you have it could be, but that's obviously not a reason to nerf it.

So...since the release of Team Elder Bloods Pro Rank Stats, by any chance are a few more of you coming over to my side of the fence that the power creep was real and some of the new OP cards have created some very broken decks mechanics?
:think:

Power creep in SK and NR is very obvious and bad for the game. I haven’t experienced enough NG and SY to judge. The SY firesworn synergies seem very strong, but I don’t know if they are better than the previous archetypes. I don’t know whether power from the new cards in NG offsets the impact of veil. Monsters probably also got significant power creep, but they needed it.

It's pretty obvious the new cards are over powered. Here is the MO deck of one of the top 10 faction players.

Notice how they have just jammed every possible copy of the new MO cards into a deck and achieved a 70%+ win rate on pro rank...

CDPR has fully embraced Pay To Win.

Notice how they have just jammed every possible copy of the new MO cards into a deck
Of course he jammed every possible copy of the new MO cards...it is a Wild Hunt deck. This was "nonexistent" before the expansion. If you want to play a WH deck you MUST jam the new cards in your deck. The power creep is real, you are right (this is the case after every expansion), but this deck as an example is not really good.

Of course he jammed every possible copy of the new MO cards...it is a Wild Hunt deck. This was "nonexistent" before the expansion. If you want to play a WH deck you MUST jam the new cards in your deck. The power creep is real, you are right (this is the case after every expansion), but this deck as an example is not really good.
You know what, you make a very valid point. In fairness this player did make a selection decision not to include two copies of nagalfar's taskmaster. And as you say if you are going to play the new archetype you are going to include the majority of the cards.

I think you are correct it is more that the power creep is the issue, people are just playing archetypes it's not strictly their fault if the archetype is OP.

I don't actually know if every new archetype was stronger than the last on release though, but currently I would say:

Master Mirror Wild Hunt >> Merchants of Ofir Spectres = Iron Judgement Insects > Crimson Curse Vampires

In fact it seems that only Syndicate didn't get an OP new set of cards. Or at least not compared to the other factions.

Surely there can't be infinite growth expansion upon expansion. Some of these cards read like fan fiction power fantasy cards.

Like I was thinking about what a what a 4 or 5 provision Witcher card would look like a few weeks back, whilst taking into consideration fitting into the existing power structure of the game.

But clearly I gave it far more thought than the developers who dropped cards like
Drummond Beserker into the ecosystem.

Like of course every expansion you'd expect a couple of OP cards, but nothing quite so outrageously overpowered as a lot of these cards. It's more of a power leap than a creep.

Last edited:
Is that supposed to be a joke ?
Frost is very balanced around not being removable, armor being able to dampen it and it taking time.
Just count the maximum number of points you can get on the frost cards themselves and you will see that they are not even that provision effective.
Poison does not care about the actual numbers, while Frost is dealing static damage Poison cannot be interacted with at all, especially since you can poison twice in a turn.

I really do not understand that comparison.
How is a balanced non-binary mechanic you can counter without armor and other resources you will have in a regular deck comparable to a binary and mindless mechanic as Poison ?
Clear Skies and other weather removal were reworked as they decided that such binary interactions (cough cough artifacts cough) are unhealthy and weather should rather be balanced about being unremovable (although one card still exists, if you really struggle for whatever reason and want to play something somewhat binary you can use Vaedermakar).

Is that supposed to be a joke ?
Frost is very balanced around not being removable, armor being able to dampen it and it taking time.
Just count the maximum number of points you can get on the frost cards themselves and you will see that they are not even that provision effective.
Poison does not care about the actual numbers, while Frost is dealing static damage Poison cannot be interacted with at all, especially since you can poison twice in a turn.

I really do not understand that comparison.
How is a balanced non-binary mechanic you can counter without armor and other resources you will have in a regular deck comparable to a binary and mindless mechanic as Poison ?
Clear Skies and other weather removal were reworked as they decided that such binary interactions (cough cough artifacts cough) are unhealthy and weather should rather be balanced about being unremovable (although one card still exists, if you really struggle for whatever reason and want to play something somewhat binary you can use Vaedermakar).

To be clear, I hate poison spam as much as any non-Ball player, and certainly a lot more than the reworked Wild Hunt. My comparison was on the high availability of Frost (like I said - I spent the entire R3 with both rows encased in ice) vs the inability to remove it, not its relative strength. Sorry that my original point wasn’t particularly clear.

As for it being a healthy non-binary mechanic and the decision to not have explicit removal (which I see in the release notes), you may be right, but as you said “*cough*scenarios*cough*”. (Far more problematic, and I’ve given up hope that they’re going to fix that problem any time soon).

Last edited:
Top Bottom