Meaning on Geralt's Silver and Steel Swords Inscriptions, and Other Meanings.

+
Meaning on Geralt's Silver and Steel Swords Inscriptions, and Other Meanings.

Hi there people. I've been trying to find out what does the inscriptions on Geralt's swords mean. So far I know this about the silver sword: Dubhenn haern am glandeal, morc’h am fhean aiensin, which means ‘My shimmer shall pierce the night, my light shall scatter the darkness’.

I havent found anything about the inscriptions on the steel sword. Any help from the books readers out there?

Adding this picture for reference:
http://wallskip.com/wp-content/uploads/Games/Witcher3/a/geralt-of-rivia-sword-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-video-game-picture-1920x1200.jpg

As in actual, real world language, it's written in Glagolitic, which is a Slavic alphabet that mainly was used for a long time in Croatia.

Last edited:
I didn't check the swords, but on posters in TW2, the language was English with Glagolitic alphabet. See http://witcher.gamepedia.com/File:Tw2_poster_iorvethwanted.png

---------- Updated at 04:04 PM ----------

There are two versions of the font used. More roundish, and more squarish one. Examples from TW2 and TW1:

jj284b

Forum veteran
wouldnt be surprised if it was something like "Death to all MotherF***rs" like he had on a Sihil he got from Zoltan...

Thanks for all the info so far guys, but I was talking about the actual meaning of the phrases, not just the language or alphabet used.

The phrase used on the silver sword makes sense if you take in count what the sword is used for.

I'd like to know if, as pointed out by @jj284b, the phrase on the steel sword has a similar meaning, saying something about humans, perhaps?

I don't speak a word of Polish, but I do like transcribing and translating mysterious languages. I was going to post a link to the alphabet chart and image I used, but "New users with under 10 posts on their accounts cannot include images and links in their messages." I'll come back and edit this with them when I can.

Large writing below sunlike emblem: dlžnikom-

Small, seemingly mirrored writing above sunlike emblem, on left: naš-

That leaves the text that looks like C~K and the text that's semi-obscured by the reflection left untranscribed.

Maybe now we can get a translation for these bits, at least?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-06 20.42.27.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-08-06 20.42.27.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,814
wouldnt be surprised if it was something like "Death to all MotherF***rs" like he had on a Sihil he got from Zoltan...

Yeah, I loved that reveal in the books. Got a good chuckle out of it.

---------- Updated at 01:16 PM ----------

Hi there people. I've been trying to find out what does the inscriptions on Geralt's swords mean. So far I know this about the silver sword: Dubhenn haern am glandeal, morc’h am fhean aiensin, which means ‘My shimmer shall pierce the night, my light shall scatter the darkness’.

I havent found anything about the inscriptions on the steel sword. Any help from the books readers out there?

Adding this picture for reference:
http://wallskip.com/wp-content/uploads/Games/Witcher3/a/geralt-of-rivia-sword-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-video-game-picture-1920x1200.jpg

How'd you manage to translate the Elder Speech on the silver sword? And does applying runes to a silver sword in-game make it have that same phrase?

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting. After a lot of google and the witcher wiki, and familiarizing myself with elven words and their translation from the witcher 1 and 2 I believe the last 3 words from the inscription on the steel sword mean:

"Made in China"

Hi there. I can see that this thread is pretty much dead, but still ... has anyone had any luck fully translating the inscription on the blade?

Edit:
I think it's something like this:
Father Ours (mirrored)
Kingdom
Debtors

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
They're cautionary messages. For example, the silver sword inscriptions on one side read:

"Silver Blade -- very expensive! Prone to rust."

While the other side reads:

"Danger: Sharp point and edges. Do not stick in eye."

if you need any references of dwarven runes from the novels...
'On my Sihil,’ Zoltan growled, barring his sword, ‘are etched dwarven runes to an ancient dwarven spell. Any ghoul that gets within the reach of my sword will remember me. You’ll see.’

‘Ha.’ Dandelion exclaimed who during their conversation had approached them. ‘So there are the famous secret dwarven runes. What is on the sword?'

' ”Go fuck the motherfuckers.” '

---- Chrzest ognia, aka Baptism of Fire

if you need any references of dwarven runes from the novels...
'On my Sihil,’ Zoltan growled, barring his sword, ‘are etched dwarven runes to an ancient dwarven spell. Any ghoul that gets within the reach of my sword will remember me. You’ll see.’

‘Ha.’ Dandelion exclaimed who during their conversation had approached them. ‘So there are the famous secret dwarven runes. What is on the sword?'

' ”Go fuck the motherfuckers.” '

---- Chrzest ognia, aka Baptism of Fire

I wish I could read the novels in their native language.

Top Bottom