Media, News & Previews Thread

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was more or less confirmed that there are no plans at the moment to make a game based on new IP, for now, the future of the company is to be built on two franchises. So, in my opinion, the mystery AAA game will be one of:
- a new Cyberpunk single player title, like Cyberpunk 2078 (I doubt it would come in 2021 or sooner, though)
- a new Witcher, presumably with a different protagonist and not called "The Witcher 4" (again, it would be difficult to release such game by 2021)
- a much expanded Thronebreaker
- some sort of Cyberpunk spin-off that is too large to be just a DLC, but still reuses the engine and assets. It could be the multiplayer version of Cyberpunk released as a separate online RPG (somewhat similarly to Fallout 4 -> 76, but maybe reusing Night City)

I think it'll be a new cyberpunk game, it would be logical to expand the IP for at least two/three games like they did with the witcher, not like they'd worked their ass off on a new solid game design only to drop it after one game.

I'd bet on 2+ cyberpunk games.
Question is, will our character carry over or will each game feature a new protagonist?

Personally if the character does carry over I really hope their experience, cyberware, and equipment does as well.
Geralt started Witcher 1 with amnesia, why did he forget everything he'd learned between 1 and 2 and again between 2 and 3?

I'd bet on 2+ cyberpunk games.
Question is, will our character carry over or will each game feature a new protagonist?

Personally if the character does carry over I really hope their experience, cyberware, and equipment does as well.
Geralt started Witcher 1 with amnesia, why did he forget everything he'd learned between 1 and 2 and again between 2 and 3?

Ugh. Right? So Hackneyed a concept.

Remember the old DnD games, specifically Baldurs Gate series?

They solved this by NOT having the player hit max level each game! Yes! Out of a 20 level game, you could do like 6 or 8 of each per game!

And this meant, that, yes, by the time the Throne of Baal expansion was out, you were fighting seriously powerful oppnents - but you'd -earned- that level of power! You felt really like you'd climbed the ladder!

Whereas modern RPGs seem to want you to max out within one game. Nuts.

Build Cpunk so that skills and cyberware remain viable across three games. By the middle of the third game, you should have multiple skills in the 8-10 range and gear that matches and even your lesser skills be in the 6-8 range.

But before that, each game should see a lower range of power.

Ugh. Right? So Hackneyed a concept.

Remember the old DnD games, specifically Baldurs Gate series?

They solved this by NOT having the player hit max level each game! Yes! Out of a 20 level game, you could do like 6 or 8 of each per game!

And this meant, that, yes, by the time the Throne of Baal expansion was out, you were fighting seriously powerful oppnents - but you'd -earned- that level of power! You felt really like you'd climbed the ladder!

Whereas modern RPGs seem to want you to max out within one game. Nuts.

Build Cpunk so that skills and cyberware remain viable across three games. By the middle of the third game, you should have multiple skills in the 8-10 range and gear that matches and even your lesser skills be in the 6-8 range.

But before that, each game should see a lower range of power.
I like this idea quite a lot. I also hope that our characters transfer over a la Mass Effect.

If we combined the sheer, stupid, insane amount of choices that carry over in a Mass Effect game with CDPR's storytelling and the system you propose... That would be a FUN franchise.

That would be cool. It would be interesting to see if/how they would handle character progression. ME killed Shepard off at the start of 2, and stripped them of rank at the start of 3 (how that resets biotic abilities IDK). Resetting at the start of each game in a way that doesn't feel like a deus ex machina was involved will be a challenge.

[edit] the interview is gone. Did anyone grab a copy?

Last edited:
I imagine that the second RPG game they have plans to release before 2021 will be Cyberpunk 2077 expansion, since in such a short period of time between CP2077 release and 2021 I doubt they would plan anything bigger then that. After that I expect they might develop another Witcher game indeed, after all in some interview they talked about how circulating between one fantasy game and one sci-fi game would be ideal, so announcing another Witcher game after Cyberpunk 2077 expansion would fit into modus operandi like that, with Cyberpunk sequel after that Witcher game etc.

One thing that makes me wonder is if for their next Witcher game they are going to use as a base a mechanics developed for the tabletop Witcher game by R. Talsorian Games, which for me seems like the most logical idea at this point.

Not sure if it was already posted somewhere, but according to this German article, CP2077 will be shown at Gamescom, however, it will again be only to journalists behind closed doors.

Well sonuva...

I found the link to the article here, by the way (I do not read GameStar myself), there is a translation in one of the comments.

I don't personally expect anything (other then maybe more trailers, and not even those) released to the public till probably mid 2019.

I'm just hoping we can get some solid answers to questions concerning things CDPR has made final decisions on, I.E.:
We now know the protagonist is semi-fixed, 'V'.
We know the game will primarily be first person perspective.
We know there are vehicles you can control/drive.
Etc.

Many other questions CDPR has chosen not to answer, and I'm guessing ... GUESSING ... that's because they're reading all the stuff we here, and folks elsewhere, are saying and coming to a final conclusion how they'll implement certain mechanics/features. Does that mean they'll do things exactly the way everyone wants? Hell no. First off half if what people want is totally contradictory, it's impossible. Secondly no game, ever (unless you design and code it yourself) is going to have everything you want in it.

OK, I'm little confused. When did this whole concept about "attributes and skills being the same thing in the game" has started, because I don't recall devs ever saying anything of sort. In the demo they had showcased the attributes, which are starting stats that you select in character creator, which determine your character strengths and weaknesses (Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflex, Tech and Cool) represented with the numbers from 1 to 10. Skills and attributes are definitely a separate thing, since in the demo they had shown some skills like Hacking and Engineering, with V having hacking skill too low to open the door through computer system, so she had to use Engineering skill to open an access to vent instead.

As for the ammo counter, it was also shown in the demo that it is displayed via subdermal grip, which seemed to be an optional implant, so I think they are going for giving players an option to customize their UI in-game through cyberware upgrades.

It started a long ago when cd projekt declared that was possible to import your character stat and skill from the videogame to the pen and paper. Also this whole interview impressions and such are odd... very odd..

I mean this is a RPG based on a pen and paper setting and what we earing is:
It has streets full of npc: Ok nice work cd Projekt
It has details all over: same
Shooting with penetrating shot ricochet shot and smartguns (implemented to partially solve the ones that dislike twichy gameplay):Wich is odd.
You will create your character from the ground up as shown in the e3 trailer in a hidden message: And this is not enterly true since your character is semi pre defined it has also a fixed age for what we know and beyond that we don't even known if the character creator will feature facial sculpting.

But what about how the character stats and skills look like'? How about how this skills and perks are used out of combat? No word on that.

I believe this is truly an odd way to introduce people in to a new RPG based on a pen and paper.

I mean the closed e3 demo as concept were mostly about dialogue and shooting. While other companies when they presented their project were not shy to show everything Stats,Skill how they were influencing the gameplay out and in combat.

It gives the wrong impression for sure maybe is just me but the impression i get is: Hey we are doing a super duper open world high narrative shooter with rpg elements. Now i know cd projekt sats that won't be a shooter but a first person rpg but honestly we have still to see what roleplay elements this game will actually have and they were not the priority to show and this kinda destroy the whole point to present an RPG.

But maybe i pretend too much? I mean after all this years and a e3 trailer and a closer door demo presentation we still have no basic details on how this game is going to be at all not even the most basic important info all is still a maybe or an eventually.

I know cd projekt may feel bad and feel we are not putting enough faith on them.. But come on in the end they also should be honest and admit this needed info are still lacking from years and we already had a Teaser an E3 trailer and a E3 closer presentation that had not so much info other than "World is amazing,Shooting is cool and we are experimenting with a new directive system to get the player more immersed."

Last edited:
Interview with Maciej Pietras, Lead Cinematic Animator.

This seems to imply people will react to not only your gender and how you look (in regards to cosmetic clothing) but also skin tone too. Which would make sense, you have racist gangs in 2020.

We have tons of details about the game. What we don't have is details about how the various systems we've heard of integrate mechanically ... which I'm not sure why people expect yet. In my experience, you normally don't get those kinds of details until there is a release date and everything is content locked with the devs working almost completely on polishing the game. Not sure why it would be different for CP2077.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom