[MOD WIP] Extended View Distance (Less Fog)

+
I'm not sure I understand your instructions.

I uncooked the game, but I can't find all the vanilla env files inside environments/definitions. That's my current problem. I have tried the script you provided.

And I need the vanilla env files so I can copy the m_water values over to the env files of the mod, as you said.

What I did, step by step:
Opened quickbms (there's also a "quick bms 4gb file" executable; seemed to make no difference which one I used), selected script, selected input (TW3directory/content), selected an output folder and there you go. When I navigate to environments/defnitions inside the uncooked game files, I cannot find (for example) env_prolog_colors_v1_b_sunset inside the prologue folder.

Last edited:
The input should be the extendedViewDistance mod. No need to uncook entire game. So just use quickbms to extract the mod, then open it up with W3Edit.

I'm confused. I got the mod uncooked, that's not the problem, but as you said, I need to copy the values for m_water from the vanilla env files over to the modded ones.... right? And that requires me to uncook the game and look for those env files. What am I missing here?

When you are in W3Edit, just right click over any of the directories and click "add file" or something similar. A file browser will pop up with all the games files without having to extract the entire game.

Oh okay, so what I did now is:

I made a project in W3Edit.
I then copy-pasted the files from the uncooked Mod to the files folder of my mod project.
Now I see all the directories and files of my mod on the left. When I rightclick on a directory, I can now indeed add files.

However, when I select a corresponding files (for example: "example1.env"), it says that the "extract" is "ambiguous", and that the file can be found in more than one bundle, and that I ought to choose one. Does it matter which one I choose? Also: It asks me whether it should overwrite the existing file.

Edit: Huh, I just noticed I can rename the files from inside W3Edit. So I just rename them to blablablaBACKUP and import the vanilla files. From then on, you gotta help me out once more lol.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter which bundle AFAIK. Make sure to rename the mod's env files before adding the vanilla files because you will revert back after adding the original water values.

I'm currently renaming.

So after that, I import all the corresponding vanilla files, rightclick on m_water in vanilla and select copy variable, then I go to the corresponding modded env file, rightclick on m_water, paste variable.
Then I'll do that for every single file. Then I'll delete the vanilla files. Then I rename the modded files back to their original names (meaning I delete the "BACKUP" suffix).

Correct?

Btw, while we're at it: What else did you change? I mean the global fog values, yes, but I mean other small details? I remember reading something about you changing the translucency of trees. So basically I could _theoretically_ also copy/paste the variable for speedtree? Does that translucency make the game look significantly different from vanilla?

Last edited:
Yeah, that should be good. I did edit the translucency of trees, but it's very minor and hardly noticeable. I also edited ambient occlusion (m_ssao? I can't remember the name).

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for your patience man! I'm a total noob at this, as I'm sure you've noticed.

Anyway, besides the question about the tree translucency - there's an "fx" folder inside the mod. What do those files change? I know the subfolders are called screen_water and water_traces, but what exactly is changed in comparison to vanilla?

About the AO: I use the "modExtendedViewDistanceNonAO" version of your mod. Does that contain any changes to AO values?

CertainlyStenchy;n10916903 said:
Yeah. no problem. I actually don't remember what I edited in the fx folder.

Must be the water resurfacing screen effect where water runs down your screen... I guess. The other one's called water_trace_fx3
Guess it doesn't matter too much. But if you do remember, please tell me!

Uhm... so I click on the m_water in the vanilla file, copy variable, and then I click again on m_water but in the modded env file and right click paste variable?

That just adds another m_water inside the already existing m_water. I guess I gotta delete the m_water that's already there and rightclick on envParams instead and paste it, right?

Top Bottom