Modding ENV and CSV files tutorial :)

+
larsroar41t4;n9511001 said:
getting this sometimes anything i can do to avoid it or get access ?
when do you get it? I think this happens when you have the the game open while trying to open a file.

K4rx20 no its not that, maybe have something to do whit when i cook file, i sometimes cook file while my game is open could it be that ?
also i almost never uncook new cooked file i just keep on editing old uncooked env file

edit: i use Quick Mod Tool to uncook and cook my files

Last edited:
It happen to me couple of times, somehow env got corupted, i lost skellige storm env i worked on due to this error, honestly i don't know what couse this, but when it happens you need to close w3eddit and start again.

trying to cook while the game is open definitely produces a failure
not sure if thats the case tho

amazing tutorial but i have a question how can i edit fyke island i don't see any env files for this island.

c3nk123 there definitely is an env for it but the names aren't always very meaningful..
If you use realtime envui you can go to fyke island and open the envui. A message in the bottom left corner shows all active envs.
If there are a lot of layered envs it may be that not every env is listed tho.

Okay there's like 4 env listed on bottom of screen . They are env_novigrad_sunset/cutscen_definition_global/env_mist_q106/env_nml_global_darksunset
but i cant find env_mist_q106 in definitions folder.

larsroar41t4;n9511001 said:
Mishikedman K4rx20 getting this sometimes anything i can do to avoid it or get access ?

That happens because Sarcen's Witcher 3 Mod Editor doesn't write the CR2W files' stringtable properly. It leaves the complete string history in it so sometimes the stringtable gets messed up and It can't deal with the variables.

Guest 3841499

This is exactly the guide I was looking for!!!

I have a few questions to start with:
1. Could someone please tell me which EnvParams are responsible for fake character lighting? I want to disable it specifically in all cut scenes. I assume cutscene_definition_global.env is the file to edit
2. W3Edit opens vanilla game files, but what about opening already extracted ENV files of other mods?
3. Is it OK to edit other people's lighting mods purely for personal usage, never to be uploaded or shared with anyone else? I'd like to edit the latest STLM with just a single change - remove fake character lighting from cut scenes and never share/upload that anywhere at any point

Guest 3841499

Great beginning for a massively helpful guide I hope you will one day write. I am trying to do several things to just one ENV file, the main one I use and fully blend it with all others - dashdot_env_nvg_global_23_07_2013_copy.env

I do not want to go crazy with changes, not change the overall feel, but do these simple things that seem impossible:
- Reduce the size of the sun
- Reduce the brightness of the sun
- Make nights darker, like in Darker Nights mod that uses darkness_upon_us.env file

If I could at least know what to copy/paste from darkness_upon_us.env to make nights just as dark, it would of great help. I get very lose and confused in all these values and terms. Usually, with something like ENB, controls are very different and well explained.

Could someone, please, provide a detailed explanation of what I should do and maybe values to try? Yes, I am reading this - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1340220293 and I am trying to use this - https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2111/?
but it does not work for me and says I use some blend of ENV files, showing 0 settings...

I see this:
"Controls the intensity of the balance map. 0 = no effect 1 = full effect.
Can be ignored since we can't export the corresponding textures."

What do I adjust for it - ScalarEditOrigin or Data Curve Values? me? lue? which one???

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom