Modding ENV and CSV files tutorial :)

+

Guest 3841499

Thanks once more! I had MAJOR break-through with my lighting mod after discovering that you can you use scripts to force-blend/load ENV files of your choice with different blend values and priority values. It is not an overhaul like WLM, STLM, Deluxe, etc. It's basically tweaked vanilla based on Extended View Distance Asmo version. Asmo version = artificial light disabled almost 100% in all ENV files. That makes characters too dark in shadows of objects on sunny days and Geralt is pitch-black in pitch-black caves. I understood how ENV files blend, so I enabled some of vanilla artificial light only in main ENV files like env_prolog_colors_v1_b_sunset , env_novigrad_sunset , env_skellige_brown , etc. That increased artificial light only a little bit, but enough to barely see outlines in caves and outlines of Geralt's armor, face. The same happened in exterior - no more overly dark characters in shadows on bright days.

Then I always wanted accurate cutscene lighting to exactly like gameplay lighting, but also preserve bad weather changes. If cutscene lighting ENV files are enabled, then cutscene lighting changes and in bad dark weather cutscenes become bright. If cutscene lighting ENV files are disabled, cutscene lighting is same as gameplay lighting, BUT it looked inaccurate, crappy, faces became too dark/weird. SO, with help of script I forced tweaked dashdot_env_nvg_global_23_07_2013_copy (with disabled camera lights, bloom, and sky) to load at all times, blend at value 1, but at low priority of 500. That worked beautifully because dashdot_env_nvg_global_23_07_2013_copy is the best and most accurate cutscene lighting. And of course I disabled all balance maps - no more filters, more accuracy, more natural colors, but no drastic/big changes.

The end result is very close to vanilla, but:
- exteriors/outside are blended with accurate cutscene lighting at all times
- characters and objects are not too dark in shadows in sunny weather
- caves and character in caves are not pitch-black and can be barely seen
- cutscenes do not change lighting and in dark stormy weather cutscenes are equally dark (very immersive)
- no more ugly light source bloom effect when darkness_upon_us blends in

I also created MoreShadowsMoreLight for myself, but I used different values, not the ones for WLM. I increased radius and brightness by 1.5x, AutoHide, Range, and Streaming Distances by 2x. No more light sources popping up (except a few).

Yey! Huge thanks for all the help!!!

Guest 3841499

Some screenshots, where you can see:
- E3 Igni Cone (not from E3 assets!)
- Cave darkness and artificial light intensity
- Novigrad cutscene lighting in rain is identical to gameplay lighting (blacksmith screenshots)
- Increased light source distance, brightness, radius, etc.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...fi?usp=sharing

Still a lot of work to do:
- Change waters in most ENV files
- Bring back vanilla blue fog, but not as close as in vanilla OR increase DoF OR both
- Somehow fix Novigrad Sewers transition? Probably not possible because the game trigger ENV files only in specific parts of the sewers and I have no idea how to make it really really dark and have smooth transition...

Last edited by a moderator:
MonarchX can you share save file for transition in Sewers I updated some things in Vanilla Enhanced mod, also i want to update this transition to be 100% fixed. If you want to bring Vanilla fog just eddit fog final and fog density for region you want to address. Also about stuff you posted you can do all off this without script noo need for that. Just copy param from env_nvg_global_23_07_2013_copy to cutscene global delate camera lights and dialogue param, and also eddit scene lighting inside camera light because this one is also for dialogue and cutscenes. Also noo need to tweek water in all ENVs do this, delete water for all ENVs exept for base one for all regions. Just find for example Novigrad and Velen region have shared ENVs for Weather, for bad weather you must find some color that will match both Velen and Novigrad for Good weather you don't need water parms so like i said before just delete them. Also there is noo need to tweek Interior water because is good like it is.
Also there was nooo need to tweek more lights and more shadows mod, you could done this via ENV much more easy with more level off control for both color and brightness of fire, you just have to eddit two values inside mcolorgroups, one is for example fire light - this one controle both brightiness and color for color use rgb values, and fore brightness eddit w - param with smaler value for example in WLM value for night is 2 just lower it i am not certain of base value in vanilla but just lower it and you are done. If you want to bring your mod to another level, like you have done with camera lights do same with mcolor groups, just keep fire values inside base ENVs there is no need for them to be in all ENVs. Also why don't you post your mod on Nexus maybe someone will share your taste ?

Guest 3841499

Last night Discord bashed my light mod to no end as if it were the worst one ever made, flat, color-less, wrong, etc., but I did gain some knowledge too and they were also correct - without fog, depth is lost. I started with a different base this time today, also from Extended View Distance Asmo mod, but the optional file - Vanilla (vanilla fog too) + disabled character light (Vanilla everything, including Vanilla fog) + HBAO for distant terrain and foliage. Then, if people want to get rid of fog, they can control it themselves using KNG's new ULM (not part of my mod of course).

You can't just copy novigrad 2013 ENV parameters to ENV cutscene parameters and expect no change in lighting because, first of all - novigrad 2013 ENV file is pretty much just like cutscene lighting, and second - when you enter cutscenes, the game increases priority of cutscene ENV over current main ENV (novigrad sunset) and in dark weather, cutscenes still transition and change lighting to bright one, something that makes no sense to me. With cutscene lighting disabled completely and script forcing novigrad 2013 ENV at low priority, it seems to have worked for all areas I tested.

WIP:
- Brown water for Novigrad, dark blue for Skellige, green-ish water for Kaer Morhen
- Sewers - I would like dark like caves in my screenshots, but copying novigrad cave ENV parameters still had them overly bright

Guest 3841499

I want to publish on Nexus, but I want a few people to try and let me know whether it is worth publishing at all and I have yet to receive a couple more permissions to utilize tweaked versions of other mods.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12xH...ew?usp=sharing

- Mostly vanilla (80% or so)
- HBAO added to distant terrain and foliage (from Extended View Distance mod - Vanilla Fog + AO version)
- Cutscene lighting = gameplay lighting, even during bad weather (light source intensity changes and fake light sources in cutscenes can still occur)
- More natural accurate gameplay lighting (no post-processing LUT's, balance maps) exterior
- Still vanilla colors, but more neutral and slightly less cartoony
- Fake/Camera/Artificial character lighting is heavily reduced, but not disabled (Geralt is not pitch-black in caves, but very dark)
- Caves are very dark, but not pitch-black
- Nights are very dark, but not pitch-black (depending on setting in Mods menu)
- Heavy ugly bloom from Darker Nights from light sources removed (Darker Nights bundle file and scripts already included!)
- Vanilla fog preserved (no need to remove because KNG's ULM can change it based on preference)
- Fixed Post-Process sharpness settings slider not applying in Toussaint
- Changed default "flat PS4" swamp environment to supposedly E3 2014 environment

Should I make a separate post here for this? Again, can't publish it on Nexus yet...

MonarchX;n10334612 said:
I want to publish on Nexus, but I want a few people to try and let me know whether it is worth publishing at all and I have yet to receive a couple more permissions to utilize tweaked versions of other mods.

I say, if you've come up with something that you really like, then there will be others that like it, too. Don't waste time gathering "affirmation" of its worthiness. Just throw it up there and get ready for the inevitable flamethrowers.

Remember: Don't care doesn't burn. :) I think you'll receive both negative feedback and some surprising support.

Guest 3841499

Thanks! I am trying to satisfy myself in the first place. So far getting camera lights is the hardest part. The more I test, the more it looks like I can't just disable it for bad weathers. If I want faces to look correctly in dialogues in bad weathers, I will have to adjust camera light for each weather by reducing vanilla values. Otherwise in bad weather, you can see too much detail on Geralt's face. That's why CDPR created cutscene lighting as it makes sure that faces look correct in any weather... at the cost of entirely losing weather ENV feel during cutscenes.

I also wish I had enough savegames to test interiors, the mist isle, wyzima, spiral, winter, etc. - the more rare places.

Guest 3841499

Having issues with EnvUI - it won't let me change RGB values. I select waterColor, press E, it shows values on top, and then if I try to place cursor there, click, nothing happens, Backspace makes the whole thing freeze, after which I have to restart the game forcibly because even Esc stops working. Yes, I do use envui_disable_envs. I re-read the instructions several times, did everything again - no go. Had similar issues in the past, eve after game re-installation. No idea what is going on.... I deleted user.settings (bak too), input.settings, re-copied the ones from the mod, etc. Nothing works, it keeps breaking. The only thing I can do is press F11 and use + and - on numpad, but after I hit Esc to close the menu, getting back is not possible, even after reloading the game. I have to quit the game entirely to get there again...

Guest 3841499

It happens on a fresh OS + fresh game installation, no mods, aside from Shared Imports, BootStrap, and EnvUI with all user and input settings reset...

Strange , you did an integrity check with Steam or Gog clients
and your dlc folder it is empty ?

Man did you try with arrows on kb ? Also in my experience with tool, if NPC atack you or push you from there way when they are walking beside you tool will colapse. And you have to reload game again for it to work again. Also you can't use this tool while on horse, in water and under the water. Also watch on how you eddit values for rgb colors, for example there should be 4 values 10 20 30 1, this represent R G B And last number is brightness value, but watch out on how you input them because it should be space between them.

Also did you insatl tool in right way ?

Also when you use arrow keys you should see coursor line on witch part of value you are edditing.

And code - envui_disable_envs is used inside game console when you want to turn off all stacked ENVs, for example if you are in Velen, when you use this code, you will have shown ENV for Novigrad because this is base ENV for this region.
Best aproch here if you want to use env in multie layer region, when you want to edditi it in real time is this:
For example you want to change water in Velen

1.delate water value from env_nml_global_dark_sunset.env
2.Coock mod with this value missing for Velen.

Run the game, you will now see that you don't need to use envui_disable_envs because water value is missing from Velen, and active one is from Novigrad.

So you can now eddit color and match it with everything you achived for Velen ENV, so if you change tone of region you will be able to match it more precise.

3.When you achive wanted result, copy water parm again to Velen and eddit it with numbers you are most happy with.

This can apply to everything. Sky, water, fog, you name it.

Hope this small tutorial will help you. Sry for English :)

Guest 3841499

Solved it.... I think... (have not tried, but someone else the same issue). Because I never planned to mod, especially lighting, or use KB/M for the game, I never bothered to input a lot of custom let's, which was never a problem. One of those I never bothered to input was BootStrap... I only needed it to load gameplay mods, not edit anything... I THINK that is why...

Huge thanks for that reply, it shows you truly care! RGBA values are very deceiving... You need to inflate them. For example the right code for muddy water is 69, 54, 32... That makes no difference. Double those values and it does make difference.

I know how tricky the ENV can be - disable one parameter and the game uses it from another ENV, but if you set it to 0 everywhere then it mixes with other ENV parameter value. That is why to get camera light correct, I have to adjust it everywhere, cannot disable, because value for main ENV that makes Geralt bright outside on sunny days when in shadows, also makes him too bright in caves.

BTW, do you know how to add fog that flows, like in some caves? There is a cave where you fight a werewolf who unknowingly killed his wife and her sister loved him. It has very nice flowing fog, but I think it's particles... I wish I could add it to the Swamp...

BTW, does white smoke become dark at night? It does for me with Darker Knights ENV... I know now it is for Bies, but menu gives people darkness choice and making nights darker in ENV files is a static setting and it would require editing a lot of parameters in a lot of files. I edited darkness upon us heavily - disabled fog, sky, lowered camera lights big time, disabled FlareGroups and Bloom, but I want to add some Bloom back. It is not realistic not to have some aura from light sources, but it needs to be light and diffused.

I found the biggest issue ever for my mod - it does not work in To saint because to make lighting Uniform in cutscenes and out, cutscenes ENV are disabled or removed (except DoF, SSAO, NVAO), but many params of it are copied to custom ENV 118 that HAS TO always run in main game at specific priority (500 seems to work well) and blend value of 1 because just editing cutscene ENV does not - it runs at different priority during gameplay and different priority in cutscenes. That defeats the idea of Uniform Lighting... That is why I need custom edited cutscene ENV and script or direct people to use ULM to select ENV 118, priority, and Blend values for my mod. For main game it works great, but it makes Toussaint look awful because it has it's own cutscene lighting, so I have to ask people to either remove script when in Toussaint or disable ULM... That is fine with me, but people will not like it... I need to find another way without script or ULM to make my ENV 118 run at all times in main game, but not in Toussaint... Maybe I can use w2w files to change region cutscene lighting ENV and priority in and out of cutscenes?

So many question to answer first one is really complicated and this can be best answered by skacikpl or erxv because they have experiance in adding new things fx, objekts and soo on in game, i think you will have to find file for that quest and add it, this knowledge can improve some quest sceen apart from that first that comes to my mind is with chrones and when they first appear adding fog should make this scene much better.

White smoke can become dark at night you just need to change it inside mcolorgroups i am not certain but i think fog is for both fog, semi volumetic clouds used in KM, and with mod in Skellige, but maybe it is also for smoke. Also smoke is very effected by global light sun color. I am @ work now so i can't test this.

Also about geralt specific lighting, in both cutscenes and out off them, one value that have neer as much impact like camera parm, is inside global light, and i think it is called ambient color base or something like this, i will eddit this with right answer but belive me it effect Geralt soo much, like for example you can see this in effekt in Kaer Morhen. Go in are with shadow, and zoom on his face and beard, it will have green tone, and this can be sean on both beard and hair. What i want to say to you is this, it is realy hard to make Geralt apper 1-1 in very scene for every interior cave and soo on. They way you take with script in my opinion is wrong not just because of BAW region but in general, you just lose a lot of control over many instances. You want to make mod as realistic and i salute that but do know you will lose a lot of details and that will impact on general feal of the game. Best aproch is to use as litle in your cutscene lighting, i use only two parms in my new version of the mod. You can try to mimic this, also feal free to use my files, and see how you can incorporate them in your mod.

I will also post soon new version of Vanilla enhanced, with new fixes, also if you want feal free to use this also.

Learn from my files. Because in this new version i did fixed all transitions for weathers and soo on and feal free to use my interior and cave files from Vanilla enhanced because they match yours.

Also one thing about water, it is also effected big time by active weather so it will not look same for both nice and bad weather. And value you inputed can be achived with diferent values but with diferent lue parm tab - W

You can input realy bright color but if you lower it brightenss value it will drop down and when you for example screenshoot it and extract color with tool you will see diferent value that you input in ENVs only bacause of lue - W value.

My god now i hope someone will understand all the shit i wrothe here because my English is bad.

Also i hope it will help :)

Guest 3841499

Mishikedman;n10351722 said:
So many question to answer first one is really complicated and this can be best answered by skacikpl or erxv because they have experiance in adding new things fx, objekts and soo on in game, i think you will have to find file for that quest and add it, this knowledge can improve some quest sceen apart from that first that comes to my mind is with chrones and when they first appear adding fog should make this scene much better.

White smoke can become dark at night you just need to change it inside mcolorgroups i am not certain but i think fog is for both fog, semi volumetic clouds used in KM, and with mod in Skellige, but maybe it is also for smoke. Also smoke is very effected by global light sun color. I am @ work now so i can't test this.

Also about geralt specific lighting, in both cutscenes and out off them, one value that have neer as much impact like camera parm, is inside global light, and i think it is called ambient color base or something like this, i will eddit this with right answer but belive me it effect Geralt soo much, like for example you can see this in effekt in Kaer Morhen. Go in are with shadow, and zoom on his face and beard, it will have green tone, and this can be sean on both beard and hair. What i want to say to you is this, it is realy hard to make Geralt apper 1-1 in very scene for every interior cave and soo on. They way you take with script in my opinion is wrong not just because of BAW region but in general, you just lose a lot of control over many instances. You want to make mod as realistic and i salute that but do know you will lose a lot of details and that will impact on general feal of the game. Best aproch is to use as litle in your cutscene lighting, i use only two parms in my new version of the mod. You can try to mimic this, also feal free to use my files, and see how you can incorporate them in your mod.

I will also post soon new version of Vanilla enhanced, with new fixes, also if you want feal free to use this also.

Learn from my files. Because in this new version i did fixed all transitions for weathers and soo on and feal free to use my interior and cave files from Vanilla enhanced because they match yours.

Also one thing about water, it is also effected big time by active weather so it will not look same for both nice and bad weather. And value you inputed can be achived with diferent values but with diferent lue parm tab - W

You can input realy bright color but if you lower it brightenss value it will drop down and when you for example screenshoot it and extract color with tool you will see diferent value that you input in ENVs only bacause of lue - W value.

My god now i hope someone will understand all the shit i wrothe here because my English is bad.

Also i hope it will help :)

Again, huge thanks for taking the time to help me out so timely! The problem is that if I don't make cutscene lighting = gameplay lighting, then it is no longer Uniform. If I just disable cutscene lighting (that always runs in the background in vanilla lighting), everything looks very inaccurate, wrong colors, not Vanilla-like at all, especially if you reduce artificial light. It makes Geralt's face look awful with too much detail and facial shadows, especially in bad weather... Not vanilla-like at all. Finally, if I do anything that requires ANY special graphics assets, like special versions of Geralt or FX or whatever else, then its a failure to deliver what I want to deliver - Uniform Vanilla Lighting with improved light accuracy, reduction of fake camera light, and removal of post-processing filters, and fixes. In that case - why make my mod? You can just take No Cutscene Lighting mod, prioritize it over any of the artificial/fake light-removing mod and you are done.

Another way without script would be to disable cutscene lighting and overhaul almost ALL exterior and bad weather ENV files, a ton of work, not vanilla, and having to mess with big-time settings like Sky, Sky and Moon, Global Light, etc. etc. and it would probably need new version of TBOB, FX, etc. That's not what this mod is about...

I don't ever adjust globalLight and most parameters. I only adjust camera/dialogue/scene lights, water, balance map, NVAO/SSAO. Only in 3 cases I adjusted Fog, Sky, and Bloom - my custom cutscene file, the swamp file, and darkness upon us file. I mostly removed those parameters to prevent cutscenes from changing lighting and extending fog, prevent nights with darkness upon us from removing fog, and prevent overly intense bloom at night. That's it I think. The rest is vanilla. There are some changes from personal vision that I consider more like fixes than big changes. I am changing water color only because it makes no sense to have pristine blue water in swampy Velen, in dirty city of Novigrad, and the Swamp area, just like it makes more sense to have dark blue water around Skellige, and green-ish water in Kaer Morhen. In Swamp area I added more fog density, not E3 or anything, but mysterious, hard to see, etc.

To make camera light color the same everywhere you have to copy gameplay light params into scene light and into dialogue light 1:1 and then copy color-only parameter to interior lighting color. The problem is intensity. I just have to live with the fact that you can't make it perfect or go file by file and reduce it down to my liking.

I would LOVE to integrate some of your fixes, whatever they are (of course give FULL credit to you for them and all the help provided in mod description). I think I saw info on fixed/improved Novigrad Sewers transition and fix for bad weather in caves. I'd like to make sewers darker, but not if I have to mess with global light and change color accuracy.

Guest 2364765

I don't quite get what you're asking me about, but if you want to have quest stage activated .env then only way i think this would be (relatively) achievable, would be adding new environment trigger volume in w2l and add or mod existing quest to disable existing env volume and trigger yours.

Bear in mind that with current tools this is somewhat equivalent to handling active uranium with bare hands and most likely will result in terminal cancer.

Top Bottom