Mods and The Witcher 3 next-gen update

+

Vinthir

CD PROJEKT RED
We hear your questions about mods after the upcoming The Witcher 3 update. I'll try to answer them as best I can:

Updating a game means that we change various files, so the mods that modify those exact files stop working. If we want to change things in the game or add stuff, it cannot be avoided, and our teams have to focus on making updates as good as possible, not minimising change.

Still, in the case of TW3 it's been 6 years (or 4 if counting since 1.32) since the last PC update, and it's a long time to get used to one's favourite mods. And we want this transition to be as smooth as possible.

So:
  1. We checked several most popular mods to see if they will work after the update. Here are our findings. Mind that the list may not be 100% accurate (the game was under development while the list was being gradually compiled and afterwards, also mods can change). But we hope it gives you an idea what to expect.

How to read the table: Mods are listed; next to them the folders where they can be found (one mod can use many folders representing its aspects); compatibility with the update (yes/no); then under “Comment” additional info in case the mod doesn’t work.

Because we are changing scripts in the update due to the addition of a new quest, most of the mods that are based on scripts will error out. You will notice this in the “Comment” column in the above doc as “script errors”. Using e.g. the Script Merger tool can help the authors solve those issues.

2. Our team of modding experts led by Bence will provide help and advice to modders on forums post-release when possible.

3. Alongside the game update we are gonna release a new version of the Witcher 3 command line tools for modders (Modkit) adapted for the updated game with many bug fixes included.

4. Bence's team will be releasing an updated version of TW3 WolvenKit soon after the update's release (also when possible, considering their holiday season plans). Bence created a ticket on github that you can observe for updates, in case WolvenKit update gets delayed.
Additionally, we are including several popular mods in the update (they’ll be available depending on the platform). We obtained permissions from their creators, reimbursed them, and they’ll be featured in the credits of the updated game. The mods were reworked and assets optimised as needed, and the game adjusted to run with them. There was even a case when a dev got so engrossed in tinkering when including a mod that he ended up simply remaking that particular aspect of the game. So, in a way, the game comes with some mods already included.

But for the full spectrum of mods we still depend on our community, and we are looking forward to the new modding ideas and activities this update will spark :D

The game is still getting 50-60 new mods per month on Nexus so I don't think we'll have to wait too awfully long for many mods to be updated and new ones created .... It'll likely be the major overhauls such as Ghost Mode (which I don't use personally) that will take some time if the mod author is even still interested. Most of the mods I used were visual and shouldn't be needed but I was surprised to see lighting and shadow mods in the list, not so much that they work but more because I'm not sure they'll be necessary especially with Ray Tracing enabled. The only mod I'd like to use but isn't listed is the Auto Apply Oils which is more of a convenience than a necessity and who knows it might even merge and work. I'll probably spend the 1st few days tweaking settings and seeing which mods will work before starting a recorded playthrough but that's OK because I'm closing shop and handing out year end bonuses at the end of the day on the 16th and will be off work until after the first of the year.

@Vinthir
Good news, but what about the most complex type of mods - quest mods created using radish community tools? Will they continue working or there were any breaking changes to quest (w2quest, w2phase) and scene (w2scene) files structure?
Thank you in advance.

Kudos, this is unexpected yet very welcome initiative. When nextgen was announced I was hoping it would include my must have mods (immersive cam, hiding minimap, quick casting) and it does, which is awesome. Nice to see other mods can hopefully be easily adapted and work as well.

I asked before, but when the update go live will inculed a transmog mod for wepons and armor?

Great, thanks for providing some context! WolvenKit W3 being updated is the exciting part.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time and effort providing this update.

I do have a questions just thinking along. Is there a way to have the current game on the Steam beta branch? This way all the mods will work. If you want the next gen update then you can have it update.

Would there be a development reason for this doing this?

I'm really interested in development so would love to know.

please please:rolleyes: make the new version of the witcher 3 a separate game in the steam library
Or add the ability to play the old version through the steam menu "beta versions" of games

your update will kill my favorite mods that no one will ever update

We hear your questions about mods after the upcoming The Witcher 3 update. I'll try to answer them as best I can:

Updating a game means that we change various files, so the mods that modify those exact files stop working. If we want to change things in the game or add stuff, it cannot be avoided, and our teams have to focus on making updates as good as possible, not minimising change.

Still, in the case of TW3 it's been 6 years (or 4 if counting since 1.32) since the last PC update, and it's a long time to get used to one's favourite mods. And we want this transition to be as smooth as possible.

So:
  1. We checked several most popular mods to see if they will work after the update. Here are our findings. Mind that the list may not be 100% accurate (the game was under development while the list was being gradually compiled and afterwards, also mods can change). But we hope it gives you an idea what to expect.

How to read the table: Mods are listed; next to them the folders where they can be found (one mod can use many folders representing its aspects); compatibility with the update (yes/no); then under “Comment” additional info in case the mod doesn’t work.

Because we are changing scripts in the update due to the addition of a new quest, most of the mods that are based on scripts will error out. You will notice this in the “Comment” column in the above doc as “script errors”. Using e.g. the Script Merger tool can help the authors solve those issues.

2. Our team of modding experts led by Bence will provide help and advice to modders on forums post-release when possible.

3. Alongside the game update we are gonna release a new version of the Witcher 3 command line tools for modders (Modkit) adapted for the updated game with many bug fixes included.

4. Bence's team will be releasing an updated version of TW3 WolvenKit soon after the update's release (also when possible, considering their holiday season plans). Bence created a ticket on github that you can observe for updates, in case WolvenKit update gets delayed.
Additionally, we are including several popular mods in the update (they’ll be available depending on the platform). We obtained permissions from their creators, reimbursed them, and they’ll be featured in the credits of the updated game. The mods were reworked and assets optimised as needed, and the game adjusted to run with them. There was even a case when a dev got so engrossed in tinkering when including a mod that he ended up simply remaking that particular aspect of the game. So, in a way, the game comes with some mods already included.

But for the full spectrum of mods we still depend on our community, and we are looking forward to the new modding ideas and activities this update will spark :D
Thanks for the great interest in mods

Before making this statement I am just going to say that CDPR is my favorite dev team in my 30+ years of gaming. Love The Witcher series. I got shirts, hats, figures and posters everywhere. So big fan....but.... CDPR YOU GUYS ARE INTENTIONALLY MAKING THINGS AS DIFFICULT AS POSSIBLE IN THIS SITUATION.

You are taking something that everyone should love and be excited for and causing unnecessary problems

"We put our team of modding experts on the job"
"We have a new command line"

There is absolutely no reason for this.

I know this is going to sound like a wild idea because no one has ever done this before *sarcasm*

Ready?

RELEASE A SEPARATE GAME AND LEAVE THE ONE CURRENTLY ON STEAM ALONE LIKE SO MANY OTHER GAMES HAVE DONE?

I don't even have Witcher 3 (just 1 and 2) and wanted to commend how nice of CDPR was to do this, I can't think (maybe some Indie) of other companies ever going this far with telling the community what would happen to old mods and even trying to make them work themselves.

So big fan....but.... CDPR YOU GUYS ARE INTENTIONALLY MAKING THINGS AS DIFFICULT AS POSSIBLE IN THIS SITUATION.

There is absolutely no reason for this.

RELEASE A SEPARATE GAME AND LEAVE THE ONE CURRENTLY ON STEAM ALONE LIKE SO MANY OTHER GAMES HAVE DONE

I can think of at least one good reason why it would be extremely difficult to release a free update to a game as a separate game. Logically, if it is released as a separate game how would the distribution systems (i.e. Steam, GoG etc) know to give a free update?

Any chance that the Scabbard mod could be included for consoles? It's not that imposing and makes a big difference for NPCs' swords! A lot of people downloaded this mod, too. Thanks for the update, @Vinthir

Last edited:
I can think of at least one good reason why it would be extremely difficult to release a free update to a game as a separate game. Logically, if it is released as a separate game how would the distribution systems (i.e. Steam, GoG etc) know to give a free update?
For achievements too :(
It will be the case on Playstation. PS4 trophies won't be transferred on the PS5 version, because the next-gen version will be considered as a different game.

I don't even have Witcher 3 (just 1 and 2) and wanted to commend how nice of CDPR was to do this, I can't think (maybe some Indie) of other companies ever going this far with telling the community what would happen to old mods and even trying to make them work themselves.
CDPR has always been a cut above when it comes to supporting modders. For instance no other developer I know of allows you to use their assets in other developer's games as long as they are provided for free and you get their permission. For instance in my current Skyrim playthrough I have Witcher armor, Witcher swords, Yen's outfit, Ciri's outfit, Triss' outfit, Dandelion's outfit and Witcher 3 background music. (plus some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head) For cripes sakes Bethesda won't even allow modders to use Oblivion assets in Skyrim when they are the developer of both games while CDPR allows the use of Witcher 2 and 3 assets in Skyrim .....
Post automatically merged:

For achievements too :(
It will be the case on Playstation. PS4 trophies won't be transferred on the PS5 version, because the next-gen version will be considered as a different game.
That's a Sony thing that's not up to CDPR nor is CDPR to blame. Personally trophies are something I never really cared about and I have absolutely no idea what GOG or Steam or Ubisoft Connect trophies I even have in most games. Now if I get something I can use for completing a challenge such as armor or weapons or something actually useful then that's a different story but a GIF of a trophy doesn't really excite me all that much anymore. Guess that's just a generational thing (I'm 63 and have been playing video games since the early 70's)

Last edited:
That's a Sony thing that's not up to CDPR nor is CDPR to blame.
I never said it's CDPR decision/fault... It's totally a Sony "thing" which prefer to have two versions for the same game, one for PS4 and one for PS5 :)
But it's one of the reason to provide an update rather a different game. It don't bother me as well, I don't think I have a single game in which I had unlocked all the achievements...
But it's a question which was/is often asked (for Cyberpunk at time and now for TW3), mostly by Playstation users > Will the achievements be transferred ?
(there is a dedicated post on the Support section, especially for achievements transfert on Playstation, so it seem rather "important" for some)

Top Bottom