Monsters vs dwarfs match up....

+
Monsters vs dwarfs match up....

Something needs to be done with the monsters vs dwarfs match up...... Dwarfs have no chance what so ever, it seems monsters win so easy often 2 or 3 cards up and im not exactly a very poor player i have no problem with skellige even though everyone is compiling about them.

I wouldn't say that any Monsters is hard for dwarfs, at least not for the deck I'm running. Really depends on initial hand, but even if you draw average cards, it's 50/50.

Weed0s;n9024270 said:
Something needs to be done with the monsters vs dwarfs match up...... Dwarfs have no chance what so ever, it seems monsters win so easy often 2 or 3 cards up and im not exactly a very poor player i have no problem with skellige even though everyone is compiling about them.

I mean, the match up is usually pretty 50/50 assuming both players draw average hands. Only real headache is when it's weather spam, but you should be running either 3 clear skies or 2 and using eithne as your leader. What's your deck?

Was it the succubus again? Alzur thunder on your defender?

Don't rely entirely on Defenders. Everyone knows to kill them ASAP. Pack some Adreneline Rush so you can save other dwarves.

Use the dwarf that moves dwarves between rows to pull dwarves out of weather. Use First Light if there's 2+ weather on the board. Monsters can only use frost three times and white frost once.

I stopped playing dwarves and switched to a movement/mulligan hybrid for a variety of reasons. The main reason is Dwarves just feels too vulnerable to existing decks. You can win games but by a certain point every move you make gets countered. You can still win, of course. It's just too much of a headache dodging counters every play. Plus, relying almost entirely on tempo spam doesn't work vs newer decks in circulation. NR decks can out tempo Dwarves, Monsters can steal your carry-over and SK has too many counters. You have to stop some of what they're doing, and Dwarves has limited space for tech cards to do so. Even if you plug some into your build they either offer nothing in certain matchups or fit poorly with the rest of your win conditions.

With that said... Monsters never felt like a lopsided matchup. The biggest threat is Succubus IMO. You have to be careful where you place resilient units to prevent her from taking them. In other words, 3 resil units on one row at the wrong time is bad news. So you have to pick and choose how and when you boost your resil units carefully. Movement units can minimize Succubus, but MS can move what they intend to steal back to her row. Shackles can work as well, but MS can unlock her. Even buffing a non-resil unit can work. But there they can move the unit off the row... In any case stopping her is a priority.

If you're having trouble with weather toss in an Immune Boost or three. It buys you time and generates tempo at the same time. TBH, it's the best weather counter in the game if the armor gets eaten. The best way to stop weather MS is to force them into burning 2-3 weathers in a round, especially weather spawned off golds/leader. Once they run out they lose much of their punch. One or two CS makes sense as well, but don't burn it unless it will clear 2+ weather and/or Foglets. Beyond that movement should cover the gaps.

Outside of the above, if you cannot 2-0 them just make sure to stay ahead of them in carry-over (harpies usually), don't let them get too far ahead on CA, keep tabs on their silvers/golds and adjust accordingly.

For Consume... use any movement/control/tech you have to shut down carry-over, Vrans, Arachas and Nekkers (Mardroeme/Locks for Nekkers, Alzurs/Locks for Arachas, Movement/Gigni for Vrans). Shutting down their engine should make out tempoing them a breeze. If you don't run any of these cards go balls to the wall R1 and/or change your deck.

Don't think of MS counters in a rigid fashion either. There seems to be a number of MS decks running around. Like everything, what you run into changes significantly with MMR too.

I've got a pretty solid Dwarf deck and it's been treating me good against monsters. You could try tweaking yours a bit, but honestly often it just depends what you draw, and then how it comes out on the field.
Though I'm not at a high level, don't know how things go up there in the high numbers.

I played versus Swim , his deck was movement + dwarfs + potions, i won first round because he misplayed ithline to get resilence to 40points units. He was sure of winning i think because his last card was a traper to finish me off, but i kept bloodcurdling bear last...
his combos were insane and frost had no impact

Top Bottom